walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Early Autumn Hiking

Early Autumn Hiking

Postby ActiveLouise » Tue Sep 21, 2021 3:41 pm

Route description: Cruach Àrdrain and Beinn Tulaichean

Munros included on this walk: Beinn Tulaichean, Cruach Àrdrain

Date walked: 19/09/2021

Time taken: 4.12 hours

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

There is a persistent mist as I drive the long road from my home in Ayrshire to the county of Stirlingshire where today’s hike stands waiting. The heavy clouds first smother meandering fields and then tall office blocks causing me to question whether a hill walk will ever be possible in the conditions. I begin to regret my decision to rise at 6am this Saturday morning but, having now made a commitment to the journey, I travel on regardless in the hope that somewhere along this road, the mist will ease.

I arrive at my destination, Cruach Ardrain and Beinn Tulaichean, a short while later, however, to find that the cloud still lingers frustratingly close to the ground. The weather forecast promises it will brighten later on, though, so my walking group and I decide to begin the ascent regardless of the current conditions. On this occasion, we very much hope that the Met Office weather app offers a reliable prediction!

Unlike some of Scotland’s most popular Munros (I am looking at you Ben Lomond), Cruach Ardrain and Beinn Tulaichean offer unfriendly routes to the peak as the trek upwards immediately swerves onto boggy, grassy and pathless terrain. Whilst the rangers on Ben Lomond tenderly maintain steps and gravel paths, here the climb remains wholly natural. Whilst these conditions won’t suit everyone (the number of people ascending the hill with us today falls significantly short of the numbers heading up Ben Lomond each weekend), others will find it a challenging yet rewarding ascent. Personally, I fall into the latter group. For me, leaping over large puddles of bog and scrambling over grassy terrain brings a thrill unmatched on more sedate walking routes.

As the climb progresses, we get our first glimpse of the sunnier weather that was promised today. The clouds that had earlier sat close to the ground very slowly begin to dissipate so that, like curtains opening on a stage in front, more scenery is revealed the higher we climb. When we finally finish the pathless ascent, the views of Loch Doin below are remarkably clear. Hillwalking isn’t all about the views, of course, but they do make the experience a thoroughly rewarding one.

The ridge walk connecting the mountains of Cruach Ardrain and Beinn Tulaichean is straightforward and comfortable after the tiring route to get here. I feel my pace quicken as I focus on reaching each peak before the surrounding clouds roll in once again. I am not entirely successful in this task, though, for by the time I reach Beinn Tulaichean, I find myself once again in the centre of a marshmallow-like cloud, my hair and clothes quickly dampening from the precipitation in the air.

It is due to these conditions that the group agrees not to linger on the top of today’s hill. Instead, after just a few quick pictures, we meander down in search of a more sheltered picnic spot. By the time we have done so, though, the rain has grown stronger and a chill wind has developed and so we find ourselves huddling close to rocks whilst eating increasingly soggy sandwiches. It is September now and this weather is a reminder that the hazy warmth of summer is very much over. It is a reminder too, that the opportunities left for fair-weather hiking this year are numbered.

The descent is again pathless and boggy but we are more prepared for the challenge this time around, having already battled it on the way up. We take it slowly, using poles to steady our bodies and helping each other over tricky spots. At the bottom, we congratulate each other on a successful walk, whilst also attempting to ignore the muddied trousers where some have, despite their best efforts, fallen foul of the slippery conditions.

Six hours after setting off for the day’s activity, we arrive back at the car park. The sun is out now (of course) and the hills that hadn’t been visible earlier this morning now circle around us impressively. As I say my goodbyes to the group, with one final cheery congrats to each person, I can think only of how lucky we are in Scotland to have places such as these, and how lucky I have been to experience it today. Now, I have absolutely no regrets about rising at 6am on a foggy Saturday morning.
Attachments
PXL_20210918_130641551.jpg
PXL_20210918_083741092.MP.jpg
PXL_20210918_090938129.MP.jpg
Views as the cloud cleared near the top of Cruach Ardrain
PXL_20210918_080428959.MP.jpg
Setting off for the hike
PXL_20210918_135306898.jpg
Loch Doin
ActiveLouise
Walker

Munros:26   Corbetts:1

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland