walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

The 3 Western Munros of the South Glenshiel Ridge

The 3 Western Munros of the South Glenshiel Ridge

Postby gld73 » Sat Sep 25, 2021 8:35 pm

Route description: South Glen Shiel Ridge: 7 Munros

Munros included on this walk: Creag nan Dàmh, Sgùrr an Doire Leathain, Sgùrr an Lochain

Date walked: 31/05/2021

Distance: 18 km

Ascent: 1400m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Thought it would be a relatively busy day on the South Glenshiel Ridge given it was the Spring Bank Holiday and perfect conditions, but doing this walk as a circular meant parking wouldn't be a problem as I could park at any of the laybys on the road rather than the busier start/end points of the ridge. I parked in the large lay-by right at the start of the walk, where I'd come down off the ridge when I did the 4 eastern munros as a circular walk:
https://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=104421
.... I came down the Druim Coire Nan Eirecheanach that time, but took the Druim Thollaidh way up on to the ridge this time.
APDC8367.JPG
Started from a large layby on the A87 opposite where I'd come down from the ridge last time (my descent route was down that ridge on the left) and where I was heading up this time, the ridge on the right.

APDC8370.JPG
Didn't seem to be much of a path to follow lower down, but that didn't matter, I was just heading up to the main ridge so in weather like this it was hard to go wrong!

APDC8375.JPG
Looking back down on my start point and the hills on the north side of the A87

APDC8373.JPG
As the Druim Thollaidh narrowed higher up, a path appeared and continued onwards up towards the main ridge

APDC8376.JPG
Joined the main ridge at Sgurr Coire na Feinne. All quiet to the east and Maol Chinn-dearg

As expected, I didn't see anyone else heading up here, but I had expected to see several people once on the ridge. Stunned to not see another soul in either direction as I reached the ridge at Sgurr Coire na Feinne (not a munro, so the main ridge path bypasses the top). In fact, I didn't see a single person on the ridge the rest of the walk, as far as the eye could see in either direction. A bank holiday? Beautiful conditions? The South Glenshiel Ridge to myself? That really surprised me!
APDC8377.JPG
South to Loch Quioch

APDC8378.JPG
My route ahead to the west, Sgurr an Doire Leathain

Not much to say about the walk along the ridge to each of the 3 western munros other than it was a really enjoyable walk with great views!
APDC8380.JPG
From the summit, looking back west you can see the Drum Thollaidh sloping down to the left in the middle of the photo. Handy to have straightforward ascent/descent routes like that available.

APDC8382.JPG
East to the next target, Sgurr an Lochain

APDC8384.JPG
Fantastic conditions, didn't take long to get to that summit

APDC8386.JPG
Even Ben Nevis was cloud free today

APDC8387.JPG
Ladhar Bheinn?

APDC8388.JPG
Heading down towards the "low" point of the ridge at 729m

APDC8389.JPG
...and from there, the view back east to today's walk so far before heading up to the last munro, Creag nan Damh

APDC8391.JPG
Creag nan Damh summit

APDC8396.JPG
Think this was east to Sgurr na Sgine and The Saddle (that's the problem with looking at photos months later..)

With hindsight though, I wish I'd descended the more gradual route further west rather than the direct route I did take from the last summit, Creag nan Damh. I dislike steep descents at the best of times, but this was unrelenting on my knees. I wouldn't have minded going up that way, but won't be going down it again! I'd only opted for that route as it shortened the road walking I'd have to do to get back to the car. There is a worn path down, though I lost the best way a couple of times and had to do short back tracks when I found myself at sharp drops.
APDC8397.JPG
To lessen the road walk back to the car, I took the short steep descent route. This part didn't look too bad! It got worse though, my knees really didn't appreciate my route choice.

APDC8402.JPG
Got down eventually and joined a path by the burn, grateful to refill water bottles again. Looking back over at the way I just came down, I think I'd be happy with it as an ascent route on to the ridge, just not the other way around!

I also lost the path once into the woods approaching the road. Seemed to be on a path but it had fallen trees across it which made it all a bit of a scramble through and over trees and vegetation, and I'm guessing it was this section where I picked up ticks, found firmly attached to my thigh when I got home.
APDC8406.JPG
I could hear I was near the road, but somehow I'd managed to lose the clear path and just resorted to an ungraceful clamber down and through trees and bushes

APDC8407.JPG
Back on to the road near the Battle of Glen Shiel site, and an easy if unexciting walk back to the car, not too much traffic fortunately...

APDC8408.JPG
...in fact.left the road for quite a bit of it and went alongside the river instead, early enough in the year for the midges not to be bad :)

Compared to the descent from the ridge to the road, I actually didn't find the walk along the road too bad; most of it was on grass verges and there were sections where I could walk alongside the river rather than up on the road. Bit of a shame that the steep descent and road were at the end of the day's walking though, the ascent and ridge walk had been really enjoyable!

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

gld73

Munros:178   Corbetts:76
Fionas:69   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:94   Hewitts:60
Wainwrights:107   Islands:13

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland