walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Another soaking

Another soaking

Postby Fife Flyer » Sun Sep 26, 2021 8:24 pm

Route description: Stob Coire Easain and Stob a'Choire Mheadhoin

Munros included on this walk: Stob a' Choire Mheadhoin, Stob Coire Easain

Date walked: 25/09/2021

Time taken: 5.5 hours

Distance: 17.3 km

Ascent: 1328m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Unfortunately Parminder was unavailable as he had picked up a chest infection from his trip south of the Border, and then there were two. George had a very busy week honing his bowling skills and failed miserably and the only day he was available was Saturday. The forecast in the NW was less than favourable but we all know how accurate forecasts are at the moment so after a discussion we decided to head and NW and see what the weather was really like.
I offered to drive as George will be driving next time with all bikes etc.
The plan was a return to Fersit to pick off the Easains on the other side of Loch Treig, so the car knew the way.
I picked George up at 7am just like last week and we made good time heading north.

Looking back towards the parking area, given the forecast we were surprised at how many cars were there before us

Look carefully, there is a rainbow

The River Treig

The way ahead, I had to take plenty of photo's early on as we knew we wouldn't get many later

Loch Treig and the water level is about 20m below what it should be

The dam at the northern end of Loch Treig, not required yet as there is absolutely no water to test it

Interesting to see how deep the water could be and what lies on the loch floor

The dam was an interesting design, very slopey at both sides

We could hear the train (Caledonian sleeper) long before we saw it

It was trundling along at about 30mph

Weather even at low level not looking promising

Looks much brighter in the east

George also taking photo's

We have left the track and headed up the path gaining a bit of height

That is where we are heading, there is a big lump in the low cloud

Looking across to our second hill last week

The monument that is quite visible for quite a few miles

Loch Treig before we enter the cloud

Looking down on the monument

Look at that, blue sky - the only time we saw it, we are going up the lump in the photo

Looking back

Looking back again, a couple of solo walkers following us

Ascending the steepest part

Looking back down, we have gained a bit of height now

Still going up

Our first summit, my phone was going into hibernation until the final descent - windy and drizzly

George took a few photo's so I have borrowed a few of his

Impressive

Smiling whilst I squeeze out my hanky which was absolutely soaked having been up my sleeve

We are descending the steepest part of the day

Nearly back at the car park, looking back at where we were

That completes a very wet walk as expected, even though I had waterproof trousers and jacket on I was soaked underneath. My jacket will be used for something other than walking as it is not fit for purpose.
A huge thanks to George for enduring the really grotty weather, the day was fine before and after we entered the cloud.
Next week we are going to try and pick off Lurg Mhor and Cheescake, but at the moment the forecast is even worse than yesterday.
Fife Flyer
Munro compleatist

Munros:272   Corbetts:58
Fionas:39   Donalds:89+33
Sub 2000:134   Hewitts:2
Islands:5

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland