walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

The report I wish I'd read about these hills

The report I wish I'd read about these hills

Postby dogplodder » Tue Sep 28, 2021 11:27 am

Route description: Ben Oss and Beinn Dubhchraig, near Tyndrum

Munros included on this walk: Beinn Dubhchraig, Ben Oss

Date walked: 06/06/2021

Distance: 17 km

15 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

These hills were still unclimbed. What I'd read meant other options had always won when deciding what to do next! Not the hills themselves but the boggy approach through the woods. Memories lurked of the forest of gloop going up Ben Lui and these hills were near neighbours. But I wanted to do them and asked Donnie Campbell about it after his round of the Munros last August. He said the woods were fine and occasional muddy patches easily avoided, which in his case was in running shoes not waterproof boots. So Beinn Dubhchraig and Ben Oss were back on the "to do soon" list and I only had to persuade my pal it was a good idea!

We had booked a lodge in St Fillans in early June and I reckoned after a dry spring it would give us as good conditions as we were ever likely to get. Moira agreed we should give it a go and in the run up to the week we watched the forecast nervously as it looked like the long settled spell of weather was about to break. There was mention of a fair amount of wind and rain and the best weather day looked like being the first day when we normally would have stayed local, taking in our surroundings. But needs must where hills are involved and it proved to be the right decision.

We left the car in the large car park at Dalrigh and headed off to cross the familiar track from when we did the WHW three years earlier. It was a beautiful morning.

IMG_1584.JPG

Crianlarich hills in cloud
IMG_1585c.JPG

Ben Lui in cloud, taken from bridge over River Cononish
IMG_1587c.JPG

Moira and Keira with target hills ahead on left
IMG_1588c.JPG

Reports I'd read gave varying accounts of the boggy field to be crossed (or avoided) to reach a footbridge over the Allt Gleann Auchreoch. Some suggested sticking to the edge of the field, others to continue on the track which would add some distance but be less boggy. Conditions have clearly improved since these were written as there is now an excellent path across the field to the bridge.

Right fork leading to bridge
IMG_1589c.JPG

Bridge over Allt Gleann Auchreoch
IMG_1591c.JPG

Now we were into the wood renowned for muddiness... let the fun begin!

Coille Coire-Chuilc wood, remnant of original Caledonian pine forest
IMG_1592.JPG

IMG_1594c.JPG

IMG_1595c.JPG

As descriptions suggested, it's a beautiful woodland and was (for us) mainly dry underfoot.

IMG_1596l.JPG

First muddy patch to be crossed with help of conveniently placed planks
IMG_1597c.JPG

A sprinkling of bluebells
IMG_1598c.JPG

Once clear of the woods the path was easy to follow up the side of the Allt Coire Dubhcraig, which was good for Keira as she loves nothing more than a paddle or a proper dook if it's deep enough. I encourage her to do this as it keeps her cool and reduces the amount of water I need to carry.

Dog leading the way
IMG_1600.JPG

Leaving the woods behind
IMG_1601c.JPG

Cooling pool and twin-topped Ben Challum
IMG_1605l.JPG

IMG_1607.JPG

No shortage of rocky pools
IMG_1608c.JPG

White stones a good marker on the way down
IMG_1610c.JPG

Still on good path
IMG_1613.JPG

Cascade of mini waterfalls
IMG_1616c.JPG

Once on the level back of the ridge a cairn marks where to turn SE for the easy short climb up Beinn Dubhchraig.

Keira checking Moira turns at the cairn
IMG_1619.JPG

By the time we reached the top it had clouded over so summit photos are dull.

Beinn Dubhchraig summit
IMG_1626c.JPG

Moira with Crianlarich hills behind
IMG_1624c.JPG

West to Ben Oss and Ben Lui
IMG_1625c.JPG

After a quick snack we returned to the ridge to continue on the path to Ben Oss.

One of several small lochans on the ridge
IMG_1632c.JPG

Ben Lui ahead
IMG_1636.JPG

There were no difficulties but I remember one place crossing a rocky gully that needed a bit of care (roughly translated as bum shuffle). We met a guy decending Ben Oss who insisted we'd be better not to follow the usual path but to take a line south up a grassy slope. He said the path was eroded and unpleasant on descent. We thanked him for his advice and stuck to the main path, which turned out to be fine.

Clear path up Ben Oss
IMG_1645.JPG

The view that greets you when you reach the summit makes all the effort worthwhile. Ben Lui is stunning and the views all round are fabulous.

Ben Oss summit 1029m
IMG_1646.JPG

Triumphant Moira at summit with Ben Cruachan behind pole
IMG_1648.JPG

Keira, me and distinctive peak of Ben Lui
IMG_1649c.JPG

Beinn Dubhchraig from descent of Ben Oss
IMG_1658.JPG

The descent was no problem and the reclimb of Dubhchraig less tiring than expected. The bum shuffle place I mentioned before was more tricky in ascent for those of shorter limb and I had to resort to hands and knees for one bit where I couldn't get my foot up.

Loch Oss from reascent of Dubhchraig
IMG_1662c.JPG

Zoomed to Ben and Loch Lomond
IMG_1661c.JPG

Dubhchraig summit ahead
IMG_1663.JPG

Labrador heaven
IMG_1664.JPG

We reached the cairn and started the long descent to Dalrigh.

Rock pools again
IMG_1667.JPG

Ben Challum again
IMG_1669c.JPG

The woods again
IMG_1670c.JPG

Someone had commented that the descent seems to go on forever and I think we both found it long, particularly where there was a choice of paths through the trees. At one point I realised I was nearer to the burn than I'd been on ascent and moved left to find a higher path but in the process had to cross a boggy area which made me wish I'd stayed where I was and called out to Moira not to follow me. There are various permutations of paths through the woods and the one we came up seemed better and drier than the one we came down, but maybe that was down to us being tired on the descent.

It was good to be back at the bridge again
IMG_1671.JPG

While waiting for Moira I was kept entertained watching a chap crouching at the river edge as if he was washing the dishes. I put Keira on the lead to stop her going to investigate. Then I remembered seeing an episode of a TV series about gold and silver mining that has recently restarted in Glen Cononish.

Is he panning for gold?
IMG_1672c.JPG

Whatever treasure folk might search for in these hills, we felt we had found it that day. Negotiating the woods after a dry spell was no problem, the climb up by the burn was lovely and we had wonderful views from the two summits. Altogether a fabulous day and the highlight of our week.
Last edited by dogplodder on Tue Sep 28, 2021 9:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
dogplodder

Munros:242   Corbetts:74
Fionas:25   
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:9   Islands:24

Re: The report I wish I'd read about these hills

Postby Colin1951 » Tue Sep 28, 2021 2:13 pm

Lovely report, you’ve given me the notion to get back there. Did these two, decades ago as part of the “greater traverse” . Overreached myself and finished up with a descent in darkness into the forest between Ben a’Chleidh and the river!

But I don’t remember finding any access through the woods, I turned off the Cononish drag actually at Cononish.
Colin1951
Stravaiging

Munros:226   Corbetts:20
Fionas:5   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:2   
Islands:12
Walk wish-list

Postby Huff_n_Puff » Tue Sep 28, 2021 4:53 pm

Wow that brought back memories, especially the wonderful smell of wild mountain thyme in the woods. Lovely report and great photos : :clap: :clap:
Huff_n_Puff
Walker

Munros:278   Corbetts:20
Fionas:10   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:19   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:1   Islands:19

Postby tweedledog » Wed Sep 29, 2021 10:12 am

What a fine day you had for it Kathleen. Last time I was up that way (during the first lockdown) Azul got extremely muddy, somewhat to his distaste. On the matter of panning for gold, yes I expect that's what's happening there. I have several times encountered prospectors doing the same in tributaries in Glen Orchy.
tweedledog
Wanderer

Postby dogplodder » Fri Oct 01, 2021 3:47 pm

Colin1951 wrote:Lovely report, you’ve given me the notion to get back there. Did these two, decades ago as part of the “greater traverse” . Overreached myself and finished up with a descent in darkness into the forest between Ben a’Chleidh and the river!

But I don’t remember finding any access through the woods, I turned off the Cononish drag actually at Cononish.

I think we were lucky with the preceding dry spell but still not sure why I was so put off by the mud factor!
dogplodder

Postby dogplodder » Mon Oct 04, 2021 8:29 pm

Huff_n_Puff wrote:Wow that brought back memories, especially the wonderful smell of wild mountain thyme in the woods. Lovely report and great photos : :clap: :clap:

Didn't know it was wild mountain thyme, but you're right, there was a lovely smell in the woods. :thumbup:
dogplodder

Postby dogplodder » Mon Oct 04, 2021 8:33 pm

tweedledog wrote:What a fine day you had for it Kathleen. Last time I was up that way (during the first lockdown) Azul got extremely muddy, somewhat to his distaste. On the matter of panning for gold, yes I expect that's what's happening there. I have several times encountered prospectors doing the same in tributaries in Glen Orchy.

Have you been tempted to have a go yourself ever? Though I doubt Azul would much approve of hanging around ankle deep in water, unlike Keira who'd be in her element. :wink:
dogplodder

Postby tweedledog » Tue Oct 05, 2021 10:34 am

dogplodder wrote:
tweedledog wrote:What a fine day you had for it Kathleen. Last time I was up that way (during the first lockdown) Azul got extremely muddy, somewhat to his distaste. On the matter of panning for gold, yes I expect that's what's happening there. I have several times encountered prospectors doing the same in tributaries in Glen Orchy.

Have you been tempted to have a go yourself ever? Though I doubt Azul would much approve of hanging around ankle deep in water, unlike Keira who'd be in her element. :wink:

Yes, he would no doubt find it an affront to his delicate whippet sensibilities. Though he was quite an enthusiastic swimmer in younger days. But not now, sadly. He is aging seriously (16 years and 6 months) and the most we can manage is a 4 to 5 mile walk with maybe 500ft of ascent. And very, very slowly. :(
tweedledog
Wanderer

Postby jonny616 » Tue Oct 05, 2021 11:08 am

Lovely report.
Did these two again recently after a dry spell. So much less boggy than I remember.
Also took in a dip in the same rock pool as your picture :lol:
jonny616
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:14
Fionas:2   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:8   Islands:8

15 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland