walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Meall Buidhe in a wind tunnel

Meall Buidhe in a wind tunnel

Postby jimandandrea » Mon Apr 04, 2011 9:05 pm

Route description: Meall Buidhe

Munros included on this walk: Meall Buidhe (Glen Lyon)

Date walked: 21/03/2011

Time taken: 3.5 hours

Distance: 8.5 km

Ascent: 650m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Day 2. Having spent the day previous in cloud we had decided that wild horses would not drag us up if repeated. No, cloud was not the issue today it was the wind. As we parked at Lochan Daimh I had made a comment about the noise the generator was making.
Meall Buidhe March 11_0008.jpg
The start

Opening the door I realised it was actually the wind hammering our roof box - which I thought would get ripped off. If that is what its like here then what like will it be up there (pointing in the general direction of the top with a puzzled expression)? Forecast did not use the words 'progress will be tortuous' - something the MWIS use in exceptional circumstances and having once thought - 'what's that about' and ignored- I will respect if read again! No such description today - so tool up and lets go.
The route was very well described and we found the tracks up. Wet followed by snow followed by WIND! Yes, BIG wind.
The route traverses across to Glas Choire so you do not need to top Meall a' Phuill - that being said had the wind not been so biblical in proportion then we may have went up to see what we could see. Instead we huddled just before the Glas Choire summit and I was sent up and round to see just how strong the wind was. Jings - it's not just the angle you have to walk and you can't get a breath but you feel its beating you up. OK, I got round that bit and could see the way to Meall Buidhe could be done away from the edge and maybe with a little less wind. As I went back I could not actually see Andrea and thought maybe she was somewhere over Perth or maybe Dundee. Then I saw the walkin pole sticking up and assumed that was the top end and she was still attached to the bottom end - phew! There she was. 'So how was it' she asked? Actually, its not that bad I repled. Why do women always know when you are lying? I gave it my best nonchalant delivery as well - damn!! OK, its really cr@p but we are nearly there if we get round this next bit.
Bravely she followed me round and onto the ridge - to say it was hard going was an understatement but we were well away from the edge and apart from the inability to move in a predictable manner there was no major problem. We made it to the cairn and got round behind it - un-bel-ieva-ble! Sheltered. Amazing. It was here that we lay horizontal and had our lunch enjoying the view and the sun above - luxury!! I can see why they say this Munro gives some of the best views in Scotland - but maybe it was being shy today as the cloud was covering the modesty of the hills across Rannoch Moor and beyond - pity!!
Meall Buidhe pana 4 March 11.jpg
Looking down across Loch an Daimh

Meall Buidhe pana 1 March 11.jpg
Looking back across the ridge from Meall Buidhe

I just wanted to take a few pics looking West - into the eye of the storm. After several attempts I realised if I was going to do this 'shutter speed priority' would be the order of the day. The faster the better. As I was taking them I was aware that I was actually moving!
Meall Buidhe pana 7 March 11.jpg
Looking North West from Meall Buidhe

So that was that - the car I think - and off we went. Wind belting our right side now - just to even up the bruising then round Glas Choire then ..... peace (ish) as the wind just dropped. Amazing.
Meall Buidhe March 11_0052_edited-1.jpg
Looking amazed!

It was amazing to watch the water below as the wild wind ripped at the surface of the water.
Meall Buidhe March 11_0043.jpg
Loch an Daimh + wind

The sun came out for a while and we enjoyed some heat and some great views as we plodded our way back. There are a mutitude of little tracks that take you back to the beginning so we opted for a different route back - the rich tapestry of life indeed.
Meall Buidhe March 11_0059_edited-1.jpg
Another Meall Buidhe

Meall Buidhe pana 3 March 11.jpg
Heading back - Lawers et al in background

$R4KOTMQ.jpg
Meall Ghaordaidh

On the way back, the sun was out, the wind (in the valley at least) had dropped and it was right lovely especially the wee kirk at the Bridge of Balgie - what a cracking stained glass window.
Meall Buidhe March 11_0093_edited-1.jpg
Stained glass- Glen Lyon Kirk

That night we sat with our cheeks glowing as hot as toast and thought - Great day eh!
Actually, its not that bad!!. Indeed!! said Andrea.
I checked my nose - it hadn't grown.
Last edited by jimandandrea on Mon Apr 04, 2011 9:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jimandandrea
Munro compleatist

Munros:264   Corbetts:6
Hewitts:97
Wainwrights:214   

Re: Meall Buidhe in a wind tunnel

Postby gammy leg walker » Mon Apr 04, 2011 9:21 pm

There are easier ways to get a facial,well done on bagging this one in that wind.

You get some cracking views if weather is on your side from top.

Nice report once again
gammy leg walker
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:7
Fionas:4   Donalds:3+0
Sub 2000:2   
Islands:7
Walk wish-list

Postby PeteR » Mon Apr 04, 2011 9:31 pm

Great pictures :D You had some great views and well done for getting to the top in the wind. My memory of this hill is mist, mist, oh and more mist :( Noe I know what it was I was looking at :) Thanks :D
PeteR
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:173
Fionas:122   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:200   Hewitts:3
Islands:9

Postby ChrisW » Tue Apr 05, 2011 4:21 pm

Great report and some stunning pics, congratulations on braving the wind and beating it :D
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland