walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

An Unexpected Sub 2000

An Unexpected Sub 2000

Postby Gordie12 » Sat Oct 02, 2021 1:39 pm

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Deuchary Hill

Date walked: 29/09/2021

Time taken: 4.3 hours

Distance: 20.1 km

Ascent: 478m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Set off on one of many routes I do from Cally Car Park at Dunkeld - this one should have been just shy of 22 miles. The morning was surprisingly cool and just 4 degrees at the start, combined with a strong wind coming out of the north it felt decidely like winter.

I got as far as the bridge at the far end of Loch Ordie and it was one of those rare days when I just wasn't enjoying it. I knew that once I headed north away from the loch the track would become very wet and the prospect just didn't appeal so I doubled back and when I got to the point where the track splits I chose to head for the lodge then take the top track back to Mill Dam.

After about a mile I came to the point where the track that comes down off Deuchary Hill joins the main track and as the sun was now up (set off before dawn) and the sky was clear I decided to add this hill on.

In the past I've always come in from the other side so this time round I would have a fairly gentle ascent and then a steep descent which hopefully would be starting to dry out by the time I arrive at that point.

I distrurbed quite a few deer on my ascent, the climb was straight forward and the views from the top were terrific. This really is a great vantage point.

After a quick bite to eat taking in the views it was time for the descent. This turned out to be slow and tricky on wet rocks and grass. A couple of times I had to catch my balance otherwise I was heading downhill quicker than planned.

Slowly made my way down to link up with the path that would then join up to the Mill Dam - Loch Ordie top track. All downhill to Mill Dam then the main track back to the Cally Car park.

Glad I added on the hill, I would have been annoyed with myself otherwise.
Gordie12
Wanderer

Munros:114   Corbetts:65
Fionas:30   Donalds:38+0
Sub 2000:35   Hewitts:37
Wainwrights:32   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland