walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

A Tour of the North Pentlands

A Tour of the North Pentlands

Postby past my sell by date » Sat Oct 02, 2021 10:07 pm

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Allermuir Hill

Date walked: 26/09/2021

Time taken: 5 hours

Distance: 12.6 km

Ascent: 701m

5 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Having been uprooted from Perthshire to Edinburgh as a result of my landlord's sale of my house, The Pentlands are now my local walking domain, and although they are far less wild than the hills round Strathearn, they do have enough gradient to keep me relatively fit.
Having discovered where most of the countless paths lead I decided to do a traverse of all the North summits starting at Swanston and finishing at Torduff reservoir

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Donna dropped me at the parking area and I made my way through the village and up the path across the golfcourse.
_1090241.JPG
Refurbished old cottages in the village
Although you can walk up the main path and take a Left, I much prefer to wander up through the Tee wood - planted by the Trotter family in memory of a member killed in WWI. - it is actually in the form of a cross but due to the slope of the hill it looks Tee shaped both from Edinburgh and from above.
_1090248.JPG
Lower section of the Tee wood
_1090255.JPG
Upper section
_1090265.JPG
From the exit looking up to Caerketton crags's main peak (above) and looking back down (below)
_1090274.JPG
Zoomed - the sun shines on the cables of the Queensferry crossing
The path takes you up to a point on the East ridge of the hill near the top of the Hillside skilift
_1090272.JPG
A nice little seat to sit on and admire the view: you can go straight up from here but it's quite steep and you can also take this "cheaty" path (upper picture) which omits the first summit. However, just around the corner an easier angled path heads diagonally up - there is still a steep section but it's quite short
_1090277.JPG
Looking back down the diagonal path - a bit bizarre seeing skiers setting off down the slope at this time of year
_1090280.JPG
The first summit looking towards the main one - The stones on these hills are all rather small and angular so don't provide much in the way of seats :(
_1090286.JPG
Looking SW towards Castlelaw and the Southern Pentlands beyond. The wind was blowing strongly from this direction and slowed me down a lot: holding the camera steady was quite a problem
_1090290.JPG
Caerketton main peak looking on towards Allermuir
_1090292.JPG
The Tee wood from Caerketton
_1090296.JPG
Allermuir is about 1km away: the path traverses a third top and jinks about a quite a bit
_1090298.JPG
The aptly named windy door nick :lol:
_1090301.JPG
Allermuir summit looking back to Caerketton
_1090305.JPG
And looking South to Castlelaw
_1090308.JPG
My natural continuation would be over Capelaw and Harbour hill (just peeping up behind), but to complete all the Northern tops Castlelaw was a must
_1090310.JPG
I descended to the gate where you enter "army" territory - there was no red flag flying :D : Last time I was on Allermuir I could hear what sounded like machinegun fire :lol: :lol:
_1090315.JPG
I followed the drab road past Fala Knowe, but soon forked right on a grassy track
_1090318.JPG
A short climb took me to Castlelaw summit - but the weather was deteriorating fast and the there seem to be rain showers on the way
_1090320.JPG
Capelaw is a long flat-topped hill - but there isn't a lot of hight to gain
_1090321.JPG
Back at the gate - this time I kept Left
_1090328.JPG
The route up Capelaw - but by the time I reached the top it was drizzling so I descended to Bonaly and returned a couple of days later to complete the route. It was nice and sunny and much less windy :D :D
_1090338.JPG
Back on Capelaw looking back to Allermuir
_1090345.JPG
And further R to Fala Knowe and Castlelaw
_1090348.JPG
Further R still to the Southern Pentlands - they always seem to be in the shade :( :lol:
_1090350.JPG
Bonaly reservoir surrounded by pinewoods
_1090353.JPG
On to Harbour hill with Black Hill behind just L of centre
_1090357a.jpg
Descending from Capelaw the route up Harbour hill
_1090360.JPG
Harbour hill - looking back to Capelaw
_1090363.JPG
And to Castlelaw
_1090366.JPG
To the East , Harlaw and Threipmuir reservoirs (above)and (below) Bonaly reservoir again
There is a fence with two layers of barbed wire running North South down this hill and the only place to cross is at the Northern end :( . The Pentlands seem stuffed with barbed wire - maybe the sheep are particularly athletic - some crossings have been created using rubber hose but more are needed
_1090372.JPG
With the ubiquitous paths, it is quite difficult to find any "off piste" in the area but this section is one: I headed down towards the gap in the trees and Clubbiedean reservoir. It's only just over a Km, but at this time of year the grass is at its deepest and I took my time
_1090380.JPG
Getting nearer - you can see the water through the trees and behind is Warklaw hill - with the mast - above Torphin - but there's another wire topped wall to surmount :( . previously I had gone through a gate down to the Right - but this little bit of fence at the edge of the pine trees bore obvious signs of "traffic": I climbed over and descended the field
_1090384.JPG
Clubbiedean is a nice little reservoir in a gently sloping valley - and surrounded by Scots pine woods. There is a cafe open at weekends at the bottom end , but I walked across the dam to get a view back up.
_1090387.JPG
The route now follows a short road section through forest
_1090393.JPG
To Torduff reservoir (with solitary swan) which by contrast has quite steep rocky sides
_1090617.JPG
The best view of Torduff however is from the path which runs from Clubbiedean above the top of it
_1090396.JPG
At the far end the light had gone and I couldn't get a view back up - but Arthurs Seat looked resplendant in the evening sun
As I did the route in two parts and the wind was a major hindrance on the first day , the time I have given is only approximate - a throughly varied and enjoyable walk though
Last edited by past my sell by date on Mon Mar 28, 2022 3:35 pm, edited 3 times in total.
past my sell by date
Mountaineer

Munros:282   Corbetts:86
Fionas:27   Donalds:6
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:146
Wainwrights:159   

Re: A Tour of the North Pentlands

Postby dav2930 » Sun Oct 03, 2021 11:20 am

Sorry to hear you've been uprooted from Perthshire. The Pentlands do look very nice, though, going by your rather fine photos. Must have a look at them myself one of these days, not being so far distant. Not bad to have as your local walking domain! :)
dav2930
Ambler

Munros:244   Corbetts:14
Fionas:18   Donalds:56
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:164
Wainwrights:214   Islands:2

Postby RiverSong » Sun Oct 03, 2021 3:56 pm

That’s a great walk you did and I absolutely love your photos of a place that is very special to me. Well done, hope you post more of your walks in that area 👍
RiverSong
Walker

Postby past my sell by date » Sat Oct 09, 2021 3:07 pm

dav2930 wrote:Sorry to hear you've been uprooted from Perthshire. The Pentlands do look very nice, though, going by your rather fine photos. Must have a look at them myself one of these days, not being so far distant. Not bad to have as your local walking domain! :)

Hi Dave - the Pentlands are nice - and apart from the occasional barbed wire fence***, very "well mannered" - ideal for a hill walker in his dotage. However in Perthshire I had maybe a couple of thousand Sq Km in which to roam. Here it's much near one hundred. Still on most days you can see the silhouettes of the Loch Earn and Crianlarich hills quite clearly :D and something to the North that I think maybe Ben -a -Ghlo: I need to take my binoculars

*** I guess the barbed wire helps prevent sheep worrying - I'm sure there are a lot of dogs about, but i really don't think it's needed around woods :(
Riversong
Thanks for the Reply - glad you enjoyed it :)
Last edited by past my sell by date on Sun Oct 10, 2021 10:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
past my sell by date
Mountaineer

Postby jmarkb » Sat Oct 09, 2021 7:08 pm

Thanks for posting - despite being a local, and having done a lot of walking in the Pentlands during lockdowns, I didn't know there was a feasible route directly between Harbour Hill and Clubbiedean Reservoir, despite the barbed wire obstacles.

past my sell by date wrote:and something to the North that I think maybe Ben -a -Ghlo: I need to take my binoculars

Yes, Beinn a' Ghlo is quite prominent in the view to the north - it is even visible from Blackford and Braids Hills in Edinburgh. On a really clear day you can see Braeriach and Cairn Toul from the northern Pentlands, just to the right of Beinn a' Ghlo - easiest to pick out in Spring time when they still have some snow cover.
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Munros:246   Corbetts:105
Fionas:91   Donalds:32
Sub 2000:46   

Postby rockhopper » Sat Oct 09, 2021 9:42 pm

Enjoyed your report 👍 Was through in Edinburgh many times when our elder son was at the university for 8 years and kept thinking I should stop off in the Pentlands but never did. Really must make the effort - looks a great area for a wander - cheers :)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby past my sell by date » Mon Oct 11, 2021 10:59 pm

jmarkb wrote:Thanks for posting - despite being a local, and having done a lot of walking in the Pentlands during lockdowns, I didn't know there was a feasible route directly between Harbour Hill and Clubbiedean Reservoir, despite the barbed wire obstacles.

past my sell by date wrote:and something to the North that I think maybe Ben -a -Ghlo: I need to take my binoculars

Yes, Beinn a' Ghlo is quite prominent in the view to the north - it is even visible from Blackford and Braids Hills in Edinburgh. On a really clear day you can see Braeriach and Cairn Toul from the northern Pentlands, just to the right of Beinn a' Ghlo - easiest to pick out in Spring time when they still have some snow cover.

Mark
where there's a will there's a way: and you know that following a standard route is anathema to me :lol: :lol:
I've done it several times - flushed up a pair of short eared owls on one occasion - but I' ve found that the further North the easier the terrain - so it's best to descend to the edge of the woods around Bonaly reservoir before heading Left.
And yes - it's amazing how far you can see - especially in winter when the air is clear
RH
Yes now that you've done the Corbetts you can afford the time to mosie round the Pentlands - it's pleasantly untroubled walking :D :D
past my sell by date
Mountaineer

5 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland