walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Berwick upon Tweed to eyemouth

Berwick upon Tweed to eyemouth

Postby Bastonjock » Mon Oct 04, 2021 3:48 pm

Date walked: 03/10/2021

Time taken: 5.5 hours

Distance: 19 km

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Midweek the forecast looked like a doomsday prediction with yellow warnings for high winds and heavy rain , this did not deter me from my path ( pun intended )
On Saturday morning I drove to get some fuel ,filled up my small motorhome and headed north , a non exiting drive from Bedfordshire brightened up a tad as I got closer to my targeted town of Berwick upon Tweed
I. Drove down to a car park close to a holiday village and golf course ,at this point in the journey the forecast looked like it was spot on ,it was freezing cold as I took a short walk ,I checked the parking restrictions and decided to move to a more suitable location. I cooked myself a big fat steak for dinner accompanied with mash , cabbage and onion

I had an early night and woke at 6am ,it was still dark ,the rain had been hammering all night ,but I still managed a decent sleep , I got up and put the kettle on ,shortly after I noticed the first Beam of sunlight and a lightening sky , there was a lone seagull giving out his morning call ,things were looking up

The aim of my walk was to try out new gear , ever since my son had challenged me to doing the WHW next April ,I thought I'd better get in shape and get some great

The morning start was magnificent
IMG_20211003_073149_MP.jpg

IMG_20211003_073944_MP.jpg

I skirted past two caravan parks at the edge of the cliffs ,I was soon met with views like these
IMG_20211003_075957_MP.jpg

IMG_20211003_090236_MP.jpg

IMG_20211003_091250_MP.jpg

I continued on the well marked coastal path ,the birds were entertaining as the flew over the tops of the cliffs, I'm sure I heard a falcon , striding on I soon came across the smugglers village of Burnmouth
IMG_20211003_102417_MP.jpg

IMG_20211003_103239_MP.jpg

IMG_20211003_110949_MP.jpg

I followed the path down from the cliff tops and through someone's back garden ,all sign posted as part of the route ,I stopped here for a short rest and to top up on my fluids ,heading on along the route then up the side of the cliff you are soon met with vistas like this
IMG_20211003_113845_MP.jpg

I reached eyemouth and took the bus back to berwick where I returned to my camper
On to st abbs tomorrow

More
Bastonjock
Backpacker

Munros:1   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland