walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

The hill of hares and the hill of lead

The hill of hares and the hill of lead

Postby HalfManHalfTitanium » Thu Oct 07, 2021 7:09 pm

Route description: Meall nam Maigheach

Corbetts included on this walk: Meall nam Maigheach

Date walked: 11/09/2021

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

This hill seems to attract little enthusiasm, but I found it very enjoyable. Especially, its north-west summit Meall Luaidhe is a brilliant viewpoint for all the hills around Glen Lyon.

I was not feeling 100% - a bit of a bug. Bu having been tested as Covid-negative, I thought I would venture outside and try something not too strenuous. A pleasant morning stroll round the Birks of Aberfeldy gave me an appetite for an afternoon walk.

As it was the stalking season, I looked at the advice provided by the Boreland Estate. Walkers might want to note that the estate helpfully states that the main routes up Meall nam Maigheach, Meall Ghaordaidh and Beinn nan Oighreag (the latter two being the WH routes from Glen Lochay) are all OK on all days during the season. The estate describes the Meall nam Maigheach route as being along the ridge from Meall nan Eun, rather than the ascent route recommended on WH.

Meall nan Eun, above the highest part of the Loch Tay to Gen Lyon road, has a reputation as a soggy lump. But on a previous visit to Meall a'Coire Leith I had traversed the side of it and found it not too bad. So I set off via the cairn about the high point of the road. From the start, there were good views of Ben Vorlich and its surrounding hills.

ImageIMG_2793 by Half Man Half Titanium, on Flickr

There was one wet patch on Meall nan Eun, but it was easily avoided, and a mini-pond provided a nice foreground for a view of the Tarmachan ridge.

ImageIMG_2797 by Half Man Half Titanium, on Flickr

Zoomed

ImageIMG_3269 by Half Man Half Titanium, on Flickr

Views opened up south-west too - Sgaith Chuil (on the right with top in the cloud) and its long eastern ridge, which I think would make an interesting walk sometime.

ImageIMG_3268 by Half Man Half Titanium, on Flickr

It was a very easy stroll up to the cairn on Meall nam Maigheach.

ImageIMG_3265 by Half Man Half Titanium, on Flickr

Beinn Mhanach and An Grianan

ImageIMG_3263 by Half Man Half Titanium, on Flickr

I walked over to the north-western summit, Meall Luaidhe. The name presumably reflects the lead-mining in this area, although there seems to be little information about the actual mines.

ImageIMG_3267 by Half Man Half Titanium, on Flickr

As I had suspected from the map, this summit is a much finer viewpoint, with better views of Glen Lyon and westwards, including Loch an Daimh nested between Stuchd an Lochain and Meall Bhuidhe.

ImageIMG_3266 by Half Man Half Titanium, on Flickr

Sunshine on Lyon

ImageIMG_3259 by Half Man Half Titanium, on Flickr

A Howgill-ish zigzag valley on Carn Gorm.

ImageIMG_3264 by Half Man Half Titanium, on Flickr

The cloud-topped Cairn Mairg group.

ImageIMG_3262 by Half Man Half Titanium, on Flickr

A look at the map told me that this puddingy hill is called Meall a'Mhuic. The track is a bit of a scar, but it looks like it would make this hill into an easy half-day walk.

ImageIMG_3260 by Half Man Half Titanium, on Flickr

I peered at this ravine for a while, looking in vain for signs of "hushing" (a common mining method in the past - building a dam and then breaking it, in the hope that the resulting flood might expose veins of lead ore).

ImageIMG_3258 by Half Man Half Titanium, on Flickr

Skies over Beinn nan Oighreag and upper Glen Lyon.

ImageIMG_3261 by Half Man Half Titanium, on Flickr

I had seen no signs of stalking on the slopes below me, so to make a circuit, I decided to follow the WH route back to the car. This is looking back to the prominent wall, which I think separates the Boreland and Meggernie estates.

ImageIMG_3255 by Half Man Half Titanium, on Flickr

The road and the car were quickly within easy reach.

ImageIMG_3256 by Half Man Half Titanium, on Flickr

The sun then came out fully, so I had a mooch around Killin, which was looking lovely.

ImageIMG_2800 by Half Man Half Titanium, on Flickr

ImageIMG_2802 by Half Man Half Titanium, on Flickr

ImageIMG_3253 by Half Man Half Titanium, on Flickr

ImageIMG_2804 by Half Man Half Titanium, on Flickr
HalfManHalfTitanium
Mountain Walker

Munros:119   Corbetts:28
Fionas:6   Donalds:6
Hewitts:152
Wainwrights:103   

Re: The hill of hares and the hill of lead

Postby rockhopper » Sat Oct 09, 2021 10:26 pm

Enjoyed that. Might be a relatively short walk but does give good views on a nice day. I see you were also in the Birks of Aberfeldy - another nice walk especially in autumn - cheers :)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland