walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Cairn of Claise from Tyndrum (9 days)

Cairn of Claise from Tyndrum (9 days)

by Klaasloopt » Tue Apr 05, 2011 8:01 pm

Munros included on this walk: An Socach (Braemar), An Stùc, Beinn Ghlas, Beinn Iutharn Mhòr, Beinn Mhanach, Ben Lawers, Cairn of Claise, Càrn a' Ghèoidh, Càrn an Rìgh, Càrn Aosda, Càrn Gorm, Glas Maol, Glas Tulaichean, Meall a' Choire Lèith, Meall Corranaich, Meall Garbh (Càrn Mairg), The Cairnwell

Corbetts included on this walk: Beinn Dearg (Glen Lyon), Beinn Odhar, Ben Vuirich, Meall Buidhe, Monamenach, Sron a' Choire Chnapanich

Date walked: 16/03/2011

Time taken: 70 hours

Distance: 200 km

Ascent: 11500m

Click to mark this as a great report. Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Re: Cairn of Claise from Tyndrum (9 days)

Postby LeithySuburbs » Thu Apr 07, 2011 12:50 am

Sometimes I have been known to skim-read long reports like this... but not this time :D . Great writing really capturing the ups and downs - both emotionally and geographically - of such a trek. Cheers for taking the time to share :D .
LeithySuburbs
Ambler

Munros:259   Corbetts:56
Fionas:29   Donalds:33
Sub 2000:41   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:23   Islands:13

Postby Klaasloopt » Thu Apr 07, 2011 8:29 am

To be mentioned in the same breath as Klaasloopt is inded praise indeed

Now hold it, Mountainstar, you're going to far!

Yes I love Scotland.
In the report one can read that it's not just the landscape, it's the people too. I hardly meet a soul, but when I do, there's always openness, people are interested and willing to help by thinking or doing. People ask "is this your first time in Scotland?", and when I answer "it's my fifteenth or so", this usually starts a good conversation, where I get to hear top grade stories or info about the landscape, paths, village life or stalking.

Now I would help out any Scot who would visit Haarlem and ask me about some detail of the city or the National Park nearby, so you're all welcome :)

Klaas
Klaasloopt
Hill Bagger

Munros:168   Corbetts:71
Fionas:13   
Sub 2000:22   Hewitts:49
Islands:11

Postby morag1 » Thu Apr 07, 2011 1:23 pm

Klaasloopt wrote:Now I would help out any Scot who would visit Haarlem and ask me about some detail of the city or the National Park nearby, so you're all welcome

Klaas
I may just do that, my husband has been thinking for some time about a cycling/ walking holiday in Holland. We would get the ferry from Hull to Amsterdam, but thats as far as we have decided. It would not be until next year but it gives us time to think about it and plan it. Maybe I could ask you for some advice on walk / cycle routes ? We really dont want to travel too far beyond Amsterdam, would rather spend our time walking and cycling, not sitting in the car.

thanks for any help

Congrats once again on your epic travels - "will ye no come back again?" :thumbup:
morag1

Postby ianaird » Thu Apr 07, 2011 8:53 pm

Klaasloopt wrote:What can I say? Thanks for all compliments! It's giving something back for all good, fun reports I read here.

But let's add some silliness to the seriousness with the pic below. It's my beanie, attached to the velcro at the bottom of my smock. Now picture a hillwalker endlessly looking for his beanie, walking to and fro, getting frustrated and turning tent and gear upside down in the process. :lol: :lol:

IMGP0314.jpeg

Great report and the beanie story is very very funny, was lol there :lol: :clap:
ianaird
Rambler

Munros:125   Corbetts:8
Fionas:7   
Sub 2000:4   

Postby paul.copestake » Fri Apr 08, 2011 1:16 am

Klaas - Thoroughly enjoyed your report - glad to see your visit at new year rekindled the walking flame!
paul.copestake
Backpacker

Postby malky_c » Fri Apr 08, 2011 8:48 am

Classic as ever. I feel like a bit of a wimp for not even managing any overnight bothy trips in March. I looked at the depth of snow and thought 'next weekend maybe' :lol:

I do like the randomness of your routes - but still managing to take in some classics. I can't understand why your route on the Lawers hills isn't more popular - it's such an obvious horseshoe, but looking through reports on this and similar sites I can't find a single other person that has described it :?

Some other nice touches, like the view down Loch Loch from Vuirich (need to go back there to see that properly) and finishing in Caenlochan Glen/Glen Isla.

Top effort, glad you took the time to write such a comprehensive report 8) :D
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Postby Phil the Hill » Fri Apr 08, 2011 10:59 am

malky c said:

I can't understand why your route on the Lawers hills isn't more popular - it's such an obvious horseshoe, but looking through reports on this and similar sites I can't find a single other person that has described it

I agree. It's the route I used, and I can say from experience it's possible to do the round (of 5) with an early start and drive back to London by midnight the same day ready for work in the morning. Though that was in my younger days when I ran all the downhill bits. If I ever get the time and can dig out my pre-digital pics to scan, I'll post a report.

Another classic report, Klaas.
Phil the Hill
Walker

Munros:274   Corbetts:30
Fionas:12   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:38   Hewitts:136
Wainwrights:63   Islands:25

Postby Klaasloopt » Fri Apr 08, 2011 2:45 pm

malky_c wrote:I do like the randomness of your routes - but still managing to take in some classics. I can't understand why your route on the Lawers hills isn't more popular - it's such an obvious horseshoe

You'll notice on my maps that my route is a vine, the stem of the vine being the miles with the backpack on. Underway, I sometimes leave the backpack and go up and down, that's when the vine sprouts. When I go round from the tent without the full pack, the vine blossoms. Now it cannot blossom from a car park, the tent has to be pitched somewhere secluded. And walking through beautiful, quiet glens is a lot better than walking along trunk roads, where 'the others' drive. That's how Ben Lawers from the north becomes inevitable :wave:
Klaasloopt
Hill Bagger

Postby Labdad77 » Sat Apr 09, 2011 1:40 pm

That is one awesome trip report Klaas.

I lost my wedding ring somewhere around the Cairnwell/Carn Aosda early last year(unintentional littering), you didn't happen to come across it among the rest of the stuff left lying around did you? :lol: :lol: :lol:
Labdad77
Mountaineer

Munros:53   Corbetts:5
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:5   
Islands:2

Postby Graeme D » Sat Apr 09, 2011 7:10 pm

I've so far managed to read about half of this epic and now I'm going to have to go and lie down in a darkened room! :D
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:123
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:59   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Postby jester » Thu Apr 28, 2011 9:44 am

Hi Klaasloopt,
I'm the guy with the 'baby carrier' on Cairn of Claise. Cracking trip you had, enjoyed meeting you.
I've got a picture of you at the summit on my website http://airdrierambler.wordpress.com/beyond-airdrie/jocks-road-tolmount-tom-buidhe-and-carn-of-claise/.
Cheers,
Jim
jester
Mountain Walker

Munros:128   Corbetts:13
Fionas:7   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:9   

Postby Klaasloopt » Sun May 08, 2011 6:07 pm

Hey Jim,
Good fun spotting meself on your website. Note the way i'm clothed, compared to your companion's shorts. :)
And here's the pic.
See you next year, no telling where!
Klaas
tolmount-walk-28.jpg
Klaasloopt
Hill Bagger

Postby hazewell » Sun May 08, 2011 6:17 pm

this is what i need...inspiration....brilliant
hazewell
Mountaineer

Munros:6   Corbetts:1
Fionas:1   Donalds:1

7 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Previous

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland