walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

The Quirang - 4th time around

The Quirang - 4th time around

Postby Verylatestarter » Sat Oct 16, 2021 10:08 pm

Route description: Quiraing, hill circuit

Date walked: 03/08/2021

Time taken: 3 hours

Distance: 6.5 km

Ascent: 374m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

This is our fourth visit to The Quirang and the first where we have completed the circuit. On previous visits Ben was 1, 8 and 22, the last visit was the most disappointing in that we got a flat tyre coming out of a passing place just opposite the cemetery as we arrived and therefore wasted the whole day waiting for the lorry and then being transported back to Broadford.

This visit was for the same reason as last time; the cloud was too low to attempt any of the peaks on the Black Cullin. Previously we had parked at the cemetery and had therefore missed the magnificent new car park at the top of the pass, with it’s magnificent charging scheme and very thorough parking attendant. I have no objection to parking charges, in fact I’m all for them if the facilities benefit from the revenue, but here all the effort (cost?) has been put into the parking and not the into the footpaths on the attraction. Whilst we were at The Quirang there were a lot of visitors and they all suffered from (and contributed to) the badly eroded footpaths, particularly those up and over the ridge. Surely it’s appropriate that some of the revenue goes to preventing the erosion that will be so detrimental to the landscape.

Despite the gripe, we enjoyed the walk; such a spectacular and unusual landscape; I’m sure we’ll return for visit No 5.

We were surprised to see Blaven was relatively clear of cloud on the way back to Broadford and had high hopes for tomorrow.

1.1 - 2006.jpg
2006 - the only sunny day of a wet week - Torridon in background

1.2 - 2019.JPG
2019 - loaded and ready to go to the tyre shop

1.jpg
The view South from Maoladh Mor - the new car park on the right

2.JPG
The crowds

3.JPG
The local sheet appear to have created their own wind breaks. The road opposite the graveyard is where we had our puncture in 2019

4.JPG
The drama of the landslip, which presumably is still going on, albeit slowly

5.JPG
Somewhat precarious grazing location, in 2006 there were loads of bleached sheep bone at the foot of the cliffs. Maybe there should be warning signs for the pedestrians below.

6.jpg
The labyrinth amongst the cliffs

7.jpg
Massive blocks are gradually sliding towards the Flodigarry coast

9.jpg
Anyone for tennis?

11.jpg
Loch Hasco with Leac nan Fionn above

12.JPG
Eilean Flodigarry and path to Flodigarry village

13.jpg
The view Northeast, Leac nan Fionn and Sron Vourlinn

14.jpg
Below the cliffs, looking South

15.jpg
looking West towards Harris from Sron Vourlinn

16.jpg
Looking South from Sron Vourlinn

17.jpg
Ben on path over the back of Fir Bhreugach looking Northwards

19.jpg
The confusion among the landslip

20.jpg
Pinnacle and path towards Flodigarry

21.jpg
One of the finest hills in Scotland, shame it's only 50m tall

22.jpg
Pinnacles from below

24.jpg
Ben heading across the badly eroded path below the prison

25.jpg
The prison

26.jpg
The wild country below the landslip to the South

27.jpg
View of Masco, Blaven and Garven on the way back to Broadford. The sparse cloud convinced us tomorrow would be clag free on Blaven.
Verylatestarter
Mountain Walker

Munros:35   Corbetts:11
Fionas:3   
Islands:5

Re: The Quirang - 4th time around

Postby Grisu » Fri Sep 16, 2022 8:18 pm

I passed Quirang with my bike this year on my ride around the Trotternish but unfortunately I got no views.
DSC01525 quirnaig DRUIM Schild.jpg
short behind the steep climb after the parking

However, the road was very busy! Not used to to many tourists on my scottish holidays :shock:
DSC01522 Quirnaig parking690.jpg
full parking
Grisu
Walker

Munros:100   Corbetts:3
Fionas:2   
Hewitts:33
Wainwrights:27   

Re: The Quirang - 4th time around

Postby Verylatestarter » Sat Sep 17, 2022 1:54 pm

I know what you mean, the main tourist spots on Skye can be a bit of a shock to those expecting a peaceful day in the hills.

John
Verylatestarter
Mountain Walker

Munros:35   Corbetts:11
Fionas:3   
Islands:5

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland