walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Three Impressive Peaks

Three Impressive Peaks

Postby ActiveLouise » Tue Oct 19, 2021 5:18 pm

Route description: Beinn Narnain and Beinn Ìme

Munros included on this walk: Beinn Ìme, Beinn Narnain

Corbetts included on this walk: The Cobbler

Date walked: 16/10/2021

Time taken: 8 hours

Distance: 16 km

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

It is mid October when I tackle Ben Ime, Ben Narnain and, just for good measure, Ben Arthur (affectionately known as ‘the cobbler’). It is a time of great rusty landscapes, of fallen leaves still soft on the ground underneath, and, unfortunately for hikers like me, some greatly unpredictable weather.

Daylight has only just emerged when myself and six others begin to tackle these three very impressive peaks. As we make our way up a steep and narrow path towards Ben Narnain, the conditions ahead are uncertain. There is a haziness to the sky above, as though it hasn’t quite shaken off the night. We glance upwards with curious faces and wonder over what might lie in store. For although the weather forecast had earlier appeared positive, we know from experience that the reality may play out differently.

The further we climb, the more certain the day’s weather becomes. A powerful sun emerges through domineering clouds in sharp, shining beams. Later it is accompanied by blue skies causing the group to gaze around with joy and bewilderment. Is this really October, we ask the sky above? The call of stags, rutting loudly in the distance, answers back.

This weather is deceiving, though, and at the top of Ben Narnain we are promptly reminded of the reality of Scotland’s autumn weather. The body quickly chills when it’s no longer going through the motions of an upwards climb and so layers of fleecy protection are eagerly pulled on. After the elation of reaching the top, we don’t hang around here for long.

The second peak of the day, Ben Ime, towers competitively beside it’s neighbours. We trod up at a steady pace, already thinking ahead to the views and food that will be inhaled at the top. Once again, we are not disappointed as the surrounding mountains sit clearly in the distance, whilst the lochs below shimmer under the gaze of the autumn sun. After a brief reprieve to re-fuel, though, it is time to move on as the body cools once again in the frosty temperatures.

On route to Ben Arthur, there are some threatening clouds beginning to loom in the distance. Shall we call it quits for the day or push on to another peak? The question comes in the form of a democratic vote but we push on, of course, unable to let the thrill of another climb pass us by.

On top of Ben Arthur, clouds pin down the landscape in front and the sun, we quickly realise, has decided to saunter off for the day. Waterproofs are zipped up in preparation for the impending drizzle but it does not come as we carefully photograph the views, or whilst we talk merrily to the other walkers resting at the top. It doesn’t even begin as we scramble over large boulders on the journey downwards and so we move happily, content in the knowledge that we have climbed, seen and experienced the hills on a beautiful autumn day.

Still, the hike is not yet over. We have a zig-zagging path to negotiate and a few more miles to cover. All the while the group is chased by harsh clouds that quickly smother the tops of the hills we have just spent the day climbing over. They threaten to smother us too and so we quicken the pace, eager to out run them on the route home.

The rain begins as I kick off my walking boots and fling them in my car boot. It falls heavier as I shelter in a nearby cafe, a warm cup of coffee clasped in my cold hands. Later, it pours in a relentless stream as I accelerate my car towards home. Hiking doesn’t always bring the reward of good weather but today, it would seem, it was on our side.
Attachments
PXL_20211016_133750992.jpg
Rain clouds at the end of the day
PXL_20211016_124200332.jpg
The Cobbler
PXL_20211016_110144084.jpg
Ben Ime
PXL_20211016_092641513.jpg
Ben Narnain
PXL_20211016_081042996.MP.jpg
Sun shining through the clouds!
PXL_20211016_073340852.jpg
ActiveLouise
Walker

Munros:26   Corbetts:1

Re: Three Impressive Peaks

Postby rockhopper » Tue Oct 19, 2021 10:52 pm

Good result - these hills do make for a nice outing. It's always great when the rain stays off and doesn't start until just after you're back (which doesn't always happen :roll: ) - cheers :)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Re: Three Impressive Peaks

Postby dogplodder » Sat Oct 23, 2021 1:22 pm

I enjoyed that as it reminded me of the first time I was up Beinn Narnain in October 2007 and it was a day just like you got - but I only did the one! :D
dogplodder

Munros:242   Corbetts:74
Fionas:25   
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:9   Islands:24

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland