walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

At last, a sunny day!

At last, a sunny day!

Postby hlms » Fri Oct 22, 2021 2:07 pm

Route description: Beinn Sgritheall

Munros included on this walk: Beinn Sgritheall

Date walked: 15/10/2021

Time taken: 3.5 hours

Distance: 7 km

Ascent: 960m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

We'd spent a (mainly) wet but wonderful week staying in Glenelg prior to heading off up the hill, and with the weather having promised - and delivered - sunshine on the Friday decided this would be the sensible day to go, given it had over a decade since my last Munro... A warm up walk the day before in the rain of the Ardintoil Circuit (also on this website) meant boots were still a little soggy but nothing to deter us from heading on out.

As it was the last full day of our trip we decided that rather than take in the loop - starting and finishing in Arnisdale - that we would head up and down from where the WH route meets the road again around 2 miles outside the village. The cairn mentioned in previous reports was no longer there, neither the blue barrel (seen on Google Maps and also mentioned) but the path was easy enough to find, around 50m past a generously deep passing place where we also left the car.

IMG_6002.jpg

IMG_6001.jpg

IMG_6003.jpg

Setting off straight up through bracken, along what had become more of a small stream than a path, the route took us steeply away from the road & coast, through birch trees (to be more helpful on the descent!) and denser woods until coming out into the sunshine and had another 10 mins or so walk up to the lochan

IMG_6009.jpg

hard to keep your eyes ahead when the view behind was so superb!

IMG_6005.jpg

The path kept us on track, forking right at the Lochan towards the summit and meandering (mercifully, for now...) more gently upwards until hitting the final ascent up to the summit.

IMG_6012.jpg

Having sweated up the first 700m the wind picked up considerably, and light cloud was streaming over the top, with even a smattering of icy frost on the north face. Thoroughly out of breath we (I... pup was in heaven!) got to the top for a brief couple of snaps before the knee rattling descent.

IMG_6013.jpg

IMG_6017.jpg

IMG_6025.jpg

Views on the way down over to the Cullins, Eig & Rum over the sunshine on Loch Hourn - still as a mirror - were sublime. So glad to have waited for the weather, and for the pup to bag her first.

IMG_6026.jpg

IMG_6030.jpg

IMG_6031.jpg

A poignant one too given that on in May 1988 it was Dad's final Munro - Low cloud 33 years ago apparently (I was nearly 2, tucked up down in an estate cottage below), so nice to be able to show him what he missed!

Started up at 9:30am and were back down for 1pm, quick change and shower at the cottage before a well earned pint down at the Glenelg Inn.

IMG_6035.jpg

What a hill!
Attachments

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Last edited by hlms on Mon Oct 25, 2021 10:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
hlms
Mountain Walker

Munros:7   

Re: At last, a sunny day!

Postby rockhopper » Sun Oct 24, 2021 10:27 am

Great day for it and nice to see what I missed as the top, like on your Dad's trip, was clagged in for me. Walked the same direct route as you but must go back some time and walk the full loop - cheers :)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby R1ggered » Sun Oct 24, 2021 1:48 pm

Enjoyed your report. Done the loop earlier this year and bided my time for good weather and was not dissapointed. Doubt if i will ever complete all the Munros but there are a few that is on my bucket list and thats one less. Very surprised i never met anyone on the mountain till getting to the roadside on my way back to Arnisdale. :clap:
R1ggered
Mountain Walker

Munros:175   

Postby hlms » Mon Oct 25, 2021 10:52 am

rockhopper wrote:Great day for it and nice to see what I missed as the top, like on your Dad's trip, was clagged in for me. Walked the same direct route as you but must go back some time and walk the full loop - cheers :)

Inspiration taken from you report for the route! Yes - a full loop would be superb and to get an unobstructed panorama from the top would be well worth the return!
hlms
Mountain Walker

Postby hlms » Mon Oct 25, 2021 10:55 am

R1ggered wrote:Enjoyed your report. Done the loop earlier this year and bided my time for good weather and was not dissapointed. Doubt if i will ever complete all the Munros but there are a few that is on my bucket list and thats one less. Very surprised i never met anyone on the mountain till getting to the roadside on my way back to Arnisdale. :clap:

Thanks very much! I feel the same - time/home location dictates a full compliment will be tough, but there's no shame in cherry picking here and there :) Met two couples on the way down just before the lochan, with one of the chaps carrying a tiny baby up - was enough just concentrating on myself!
hlms
Mountain Walker

Postby The English Alpinist » Mon Oct 25, 2021 8:27 pm

I love the crystal clear photos, which makes me want to get to that region again. Fond memories of using the little Glenelg ferry on my honeymoon shortly before they opened the Skye bridge. Where does the time go?!
The English Alpinist
Mountain Walker

Munros:56   Corbetts:11
Fionas:22   Donalds:18+10
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:136
Wainwrights:214   

Postby Dunblane Bagger » Fri Oct 29, 2021 3:16 pm

Great effort !

For me the views from the summit are in the top 5 views out of all the Munro's and it looks like you had a belter with the sea lochs looking like glass.

Superb.
Dunblane Bagger
Munro compleatist

Munros:145   Corbetts:33
Fionas:3   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:22
Wainwrights:6   

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland