walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Two Porcine Gatekeepers

Two Porcine Gatekeepers

Postby aaquater » Sat Oct 23, 2021 6:28 pm

Route description: The Sow of Atholl, from Dalnaspidal

Munros included on this walk: A' Mharconaich, Beinn Udlamain, Geal-chàrn (Drumochter), Sgàirneach Mhòr

Corbetts included on this walk: The Sow of Atholl

Date walked: 10/10/2021

Time taken: 7 hours

Distance: 26.8 km

Ascent: 1620m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Scientific name: Sus drumochteri. :lol:

It was a Sunday in the middle of the stalking season and the weather sounded decent, so I wanted to go somewhere. Looking for a sign that boasted 'no stalking on Sundays' - because if good weather fell on any other day, the place wouldn't be accessible - the choice fell on the Drumochter group. And once I got there, it would be a shame to leave the Corbett be and only stick to Munros, right? :D

091948.jpg
Looking ahead to the day's targets, the Sow of Atholl in the foreground, while Beinn Udlamain and A' Mharconaich are enjoying some sun

Speaking of the sun, the forecast said most clouds should keep above 900 m, although there was a chance of passing showers. The situation looked good from the start though, the hills clear and inviting.

Leaving the car by Dalnaspidal lodge, I started the walk following the suggested route up the Sow of Atholl, crossing the dam on Allt Dubhaig and taking the track next to Allt Coire Luidhearnaidh. Oh, and scaring a few dozen sheep away. Seriously, that initial track had moments where it was difficult to find a clear place to step on; they must really love these areas! :D

092811.jpg
Meall na Leitreach beyond Loch Garry, although it's hidden from this angle. The many sheep in between may be trying to hide in the grass too, but your cover doesn't tend to work too well if you nibble at it! :D

093116.jpg
Along the track towards Coire Luidhearnaidh; Sgairneach Mhor is the sunny one this time

The track was nice while it lasted, and then it forked. Feeling slightly hopeful, I took the right branch, only to realise that the whole thing was a turning circle and would double back on itself. A boggy path stemmed off of it, though, so I followed it up the slope until it dissipated. The last bit was thus pathless, but really easy at that. Without needing to push myself, I was at the top less than an hour after leaving the car, and felt quite good about it. Then I saw (or, rather, failed to see) where I was heading next and the good feeling started to develop question marks.

101504.jpg
A' Bhuidheanach Bheag above the Pass of Drumochter

101348.jpg
The future of this walk looked a bit bleak

Okay, the forecast said 'most' clouds, not 'all', and it mentioned 900 m while I was heading to 1000, but c'mon, that's basic decency! :lol:

A solid path led down to the 640 m bealach. Initially, at least, then it got faint until I wasn't sure whether I was still following it. Paths withering away seems to be a trend in this area. Nevertheless, the bealach was obvious, and I spied a track a little beyond that I hoped would carry me to the Munro summit.

104401.jpg
The track first ascends the ridge; the 758 m top is in the foreground, A' Mharconaich and the Boar of Badenoch further back

104346.jpg
Then it turns left and ascends Sgairneach Mhor

The whole time, I kept checking the cloud situation, hoping I wouldn't need to end up relying on my compass. Fortunately, the cloud group photographed above was leaving and took its shower along down Coire Luidhearnaidh, so I reached the summit of Sgairneach Mhor in good conditions.

111111.jpg
There were showers all over the place, though, such as those by the Drumochter and Culra Lodges

111238.jpg
Although many of the surrounding hills were still visible, albeit hazy

It was this path's turn to grow faint, though. Where the ridge made a right turn, the path never did. Given how often Sgairneach Mhor and Beinn Udlamain are combined, I expected it to, and when I realised it wouldn't go that way, it was too late to make the proper right turn. So I headed to the bealach across pathless terrain. But as I saw three people in front of me taking a similar route, I guessed this actually was the right way to go.

A little further, past the bealach, I started ascending Beinn Udlamain. Pathlessly, through the heather. But as I checked on the walkers ahead of me, I saw them on my right by quite a bit, in single file. 'Could there be a path?' I wondered and started to edge towards them. About halfway there, though, I came across a different path - but one that led upwards nonetheless, so I took it. And lead to the crest of the ridge it did.

114801.jpg
On the crest, the path wasn't that visible anymore, but a line of (at times bent / fallen) fence posts could be followed to the summit

The summit was on and off cloudy, and switched between the two states pretty frequently when I was there. I did my best to use the clag-free windows to snap a few photos.

120120.jpg
Back towards Sgairneach Mhor from Beinn Udlamain's wind shelter

121543.jpg
Next on the list: the Munros of Geal-charn and A' Mharconaich, with Loch Ericht behind and The Fara even further (it had been nicely visible a couple minutes earlier, but got shrouded in clouds by the time I crossed the summit plateau...)

'The Munros of Geal-charn and A' Mharconaich' - in that order. It might seem more obvious to head up A' Mharconaich first and then go for Geal-charn, but my car was by Dalnaspidal Lodge, and I was trying to minimise the trek along the A9 I'd have to finish the walk on. Plus, this way I had the opportunity to add the second pig, the Boar of Badenoch, to the walk. Starting on one porcine guard overlooking Coire Dhomhain and ending on the other. I don't know what sort of picture this description paints, but I sure was going to make the most of it! :lol:

To join Beinn Udlamain with Geal-charn, I could see two options offering themselves: a) staying on the ridge and cutting diagonally across the slopes of A' Mharconaich, or b) descending into Fraoch-choire and picking up the path marked there on the map. Arriving at the cairn on the NE end of Beinn Udlamain's summit plateau, I picked the latter; the path in Fraoch-choire was actually a track and immediately obvious, while the SW side of A' Mharconaich didn't look that friendly. Down I went, then.

The surface of the N shoulder of Beinn Udlamain: small(ish) rocks on a layer of moss; not the most stable of terrains in the wet, so the way down was slow and careful. But I made it down and, aiming to veer left of the obvious ravine ahead (sporting what I suppose is the main branch of Allt Fraoch-choire), joined the track.

123411.jpg
Made it down the tricky bit, now let's cross this potentially squelchy terrain and reach the track

123355.jpg
Looking back to Beinn Udlamain; I suppose I could've easily avoided the mossy rocks if I'd stayed on the ridge a little longer and descended from the 892 m point

123840.jpg
Hills further W are shrouded in clag

Beyond the bealach, the track was descending into the opposite glen, but a path branching off was heading up Geal-charn. The path got indistinct at times, but it still got me to the summit. Munro #3 of the day in the bag.

I have to say here, this part took ages, or at least it felt that way. 'Passing showers,' wasn't it? Well, one was passing over Geal-charn just as I was ascending it, complete with icy wind. The waterproof jacket did its job, but my trousers didn't work as well. Plus, Geal-charn was the place where I wanted to have a short break and eat some snacks, and not only did it not seem to get closer, I couldn't see myself unpacking the backpack in weather like that. Fortunately, the shower had passed before I made it to the summit. The wind stayed, though - and maybe it was helping to dry my trousers and backpack, but it was still freezing cold!

132717.jpg
With clear skies, this view over Loch Ericht must be wonderful

134710.jpg
Next: A' Mharconaich

It was down the same path to the bealach, from which a really nice gravelly path, complete even with stone stairs, led up A' Mharconaich. It still got boggy at some places - no surprise, given the weather - but the gravel was able to stop the path from becoming a stream of mud, which was appreciated. The way up to the Munro (well, to its summit plateau) was thus quite pleasant.

...at least, it had the potential to be that way, if not for the Geal-charn shower. Sure, the shower was long gone at this point, but it had somehow rained through my trousers and into the shoes, and my socks were soaked and making squelching noises with every step. Well, at least they were thoroughly wrung by the time I reached the plateau!

When I reached the plateau, though, I also reached another cloud. Safe to say, my mood sort of paralleled the clag, dropping even further. 'Why is this even a Munro?' I found myself thinking on the way to the summit, recalling that prominence dictated whether a hill was 'official' or just another one's top, and A' Mharconaich didn't rise up enough from the bealach separating it from Beinn Udlamain. (*By now I have discovered that Munros are free of the prominence requirement, and even if A' Mharconaich had been just Beinn Udlamain's top, I still might've gone over it in order to reach Pig #2. But I stewed on it on the plateau regardless.)

142232.jpg
No photos from the summit, there were no views to be had, except for this. Anyone knows what they are? There are several stripes like this close to the summit, and all I could think of was molehills demarcated by tarp...

There were no paths leading to the Boar of Badenoch from A' Mharconaich, not that I expected any. As the views from the summit equalled approximately zero, I took out the map and compass, judged the bealach between the two hills to lay in a SE direction, and headed roughly that way. That only lasted a minute, though; I came to a drop, and what I could see underneath was telling me an emphatic 'Nope'.

In the dry, perhaps I might've attempted it. But I for sure didn't dare to attempt the steep scree when slippery and wet. So I headed back along the edge of the plateau and kept looking to my left, as the slope was meant to get milder eventually. I tried again when I judged the land ahead was still visible for far enough, and the descent was indeed easily manageable there. Heathery and grassy too, with none of the scree. I followed a line of old fence posts (initially, then I veered left towards the bealach), but I don't see it marked on the map, so I'm not sure if I drew the line right there. It shouldn't be far off, though.

144648.jpg
Let's descend this way, then. (The view is centred around Pig #1 as everything else is obscured by clag)

145249.jpg
But keep left of the peat, okay? (6 minutes later, Pig #2 is visible too)

Bypassing the patch of peat, I thus went for the final ascent of the walk. Similarly to A' Mharconaich, my socks started playing up, making me wonder why I was bothering with this non-baggable hill with no path in sight; I suppose I was tired mentally much more than physically, though. The climb didn't present any challenge and was over in under 30 minutes anyway.

152052.jpg
N along the A9 - again with showers obscuring much of the view

152301.jpg
The hills I'd been on were clear for the moment, though - except for the cloud that kept stubbornly clinging onto A' Mharconaich

After the descent - again, heathery and pathless, but not difficult - I joined the track leading to Coire Dhomhain. I then had to leave it shortly afterwards - as the track met with Allt a' Chaorainn, I had to search for a suitable place to cross a bit upstream - but aside from that, the track deposited me on the minor tarmac road running alongside the A9 that I followed all the way to the car.

And once in the car... The 'driving' pair of shoes was where I'd left it and I changed into it, not liking the lack of sensitivity that came with walking boots. I had thought that it might be a good idea to start bringing a spare pair of socks too, just in case something happened, but I always forgot. As I contemplated whether to keep my drenched socks on or drive without socks - neither option sounded good - I swore that would change! :lol:
aaquater

Munros:74   Corbetts:37
Fionas:40   Donalds:23+12
Sub 2000:50   Hewitts:18

Re: Two Porcine Gatekeepers

Postby rockhopper » Sun Oct 24, 2021 10:01 am

That was a rather interesting route for these hills....and a very apt title to boot. Can remember adding the Sow of Atholl on at the end when I went round the four munros but didn't consider the Boar as I was starting from the layby NE of the Sow and then cycling up to Balsporran. Will keep your route in mind if I get back here - cheers :)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby gld73 » Sun Oct 24, 2021 11:39 am

Great report. I've done the Drumochter hills in shorter walks and combinations as I usually just do them as a stop off if heading up or down the A9 - but your bigger walk looks good. And despite it looking so imposing when driving over the Drumochter Pass, I've still never done the Boar, maybe this will give me a nudge to go up it rather than drive past it in future!
gld73

Munros:178   Corbetts:76
Fionas:69   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:94   Hewitts:60
Wainwrights:107   Islands:13

Postby R1ggered » Sun Oct 24, 2021 1:24 pm

Great report. Believe what you seen is Lichen a type of fungus. Seen something simlar on Ben Wyvis but sure some of our more enlightened members will give a better answer. :clap:
R1ggered
Mountain Walker

Munros:175   

Postby aaquater » Mon Oct 25, 2021 11:10 pm

rockhopper wrote:That was a rather interesting route for these hills....and a very apt title to boot. Can remember adding the Sow of Atholl on at the end when I went round the four munros but didn't consider the Boar as I was starting from the layby NE of the Sow and then cycling up to Balsporran. Will keep your route in mind if I get back here - cheers :)

A' Mharconaich is in the middle of a three-way junction between Geal-charn, Beinn Udlamain, and the Boar; it's almost impossible to visit all four without retracing your steps from one of them, and because the Boar isn't baggable, I guess most people don't bother with it and simply join the three Munros! :D If Meallan Buidhe was baggable, it would've created a similar dilemma with Sgairneach Mhor, Beinn Udlamain and the Sow. All the more reason to try different routes for the group, though, especially since the hills are easy to reach from the main road!

gld73 wrote:Great report. I've done the Drumochter hills in shorter walks and combinations as I usually just do them as a stop off if heading up or down the A9 - but your bigger walk looks good. And despite it looking so imposing when driving over the Drumochter Pass, I've still never done the Boar, maybe this will give me a nudge to go up it rather than drive past it in future!

Other than going for walks, I don't really have a reason to drive anywhere, so I often try to be as efficient as possible. If I was commuting somewhere, it's highly likely I'd be trying various routes and working out what I could manage on the way!

R1ggered wrote:Great report. Believe what you seen is Lichen a type of fungus. Seen something simlar on Ben Wyvis but sure some of our more enlightened members will give a better answer. :clap:

Could easily be some kind of lichen. I was more taken aback by the earth bumps it was growing on, though; unless some mad mole had been at work there, they didn't seem that natural. Hmm, is it possible the mounds of soil were made specifically so that the lichen would have good conditions for growth? :think:
aaquater

Munros:74   Corbetts:37
Fionas:40   Donalds:23+12
Sub 2000:50   Hewitts:18

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland