walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

An easy walk, and an eerie walk

An easy walk, and an eerie walk

Postby natubat » Mon Oct 25, 2021 8:19 pm

Route description: Cairnsmore of Fleet, near Newton Stewart

Fionas included on this walk: Cairnsmore of Fleet, Millfore

Donalds included on this walk: Cairnsmore of Fleet, Millfore

Date walked: 20/10/2021

Time taken: 7 hours

Distance: 24.4 km

Ascent: 1217m

7 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Millfore, 20_10_21.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

I set out with the intention of climbing Millfore. With sunset at 6pm, I didn't think there would be enough time to fit in Cairnsmore of Fleet as well, although the prospect was tempting, as I didn't fancy another three-hour round trip to do a mountain climb that might only take three and a half hours.

And I have an excellent head torch.

The traffic around Ayr was so slow that I didn't arrive at the Black Loch car park (starting point for Millfore) until 10.20am, so I thought I'd be making another lengthy trip south to climb the most southerly Graham and Donald.

The weather forecast was for winds gusting up to 35 or 40mph, so I was pleasantly surprised to experience a lovely autumn day.
4blackloch.jpg

The Eye sculpture by Colin Rose looked perfectly autumnal reflected in the loch.
5Eye.jpg

I had thought it was made from copper, but it's actually very small bricks, a bit like a conic brick kiln.
11Eye.jpg

I kept stopping to admire the various shades of green and gold.
14pinetree.jpg

The path is really a surfaced vehicle track that winds upwards through the forest until the top of Millfore starts to appear at about 3km in.
16windeypath.jpg

Eventually the ridge becomes visible, the ground looking rough but not steep.
17Firstsightofridge.jpg

It's easy to miss the bit where you step off the surfaced track and onto a very faint ATV track. I stopped to chat to a couple who were having a rest at the junction. If I hadn't paused to talk to them I might have missed it.
18ridgeroughishground.jpg

The ground gets rough from here, but not as rough as the long tussocky potholed hell of some of the Galloway ground! There's only one section where the path disappears, but the way is signalled by cairns, and it's easy to see where the path resumes in the distance.
22Not-the-summit cairn.jpg
Not-the-summit cairn

At the approach to the final summit bump you can head straight up over steep, rough ground, but I chose to follow the track round to the left (west) then turning northeast, for a more gradual ascent.
23Summitclose.jpg

26summitselfie.jpg
Summit selfie at Millfore.

29trigpoint.jpg

The views were a bit misty but much better than the cloud and 40 mph gusts forecast by MetOffice.
33summitpano.jpg

31GairyLamachanLarg.jpg
Gairy of Pulnee, Curleywee, Larg and Lamachan Hill

32LochDee.jpg
Loch Dee with the Merrick, Craignaw and Corserine beyond.

I decided to take the steep way back down from the summit bump, but the ground was really rough and full of scree – it would have been quicker and easier to take the slightly longer way round to the west. A big cairn looked like the way to go, but it just led me on to steep, rough ground.
42bigcairn.jpg

After that I made rapid progress back over the rough ground, back to the surfaced track.
43viewswaydown.jpg

I was soon back to the Black Loch, crunching my way through the autumn leaves.
46autumnleaves.jpg

When I got back to the car it was only just after 1.30pm, and Cairnsmore of Fleet was only a 20 minute drive away! I had some lunch, and headed off.

Cairnsmore of Fleet 20_10_21.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

I parked my car in one of the bays in the long parking area, and started crunching through the autumn leaves on the path that leads towards Cairnsmore House, and the hill. I almost missed the turnoff track, as the sign I was expecting to see was no longer there.
47 Photo showing absence of sign on turnoff to Cairnsmore of Fleet track.jpg

I enjoyed some more of the colours and sights of autumn.
50 Lovely haw berries.jpg
Haw berries

55 Tiny toadstools cropped.jpg

Some of the trees had a deliciously eerie mossy appearance.
61 Best one of green mossy trees.jpg

I got some good views when I finally broke out of the forest, and the path to the top looked fairly straightforward.
62 Summit ridge with runner heading up path.jpg

67 Another lovely view south.jpg

As I approached the summit plateau, it clouded over and the rain started to fall, the first rain of the day. It got pretty heavy and I had to stop and put on my waterproofs.

The final section is pretty boggy, and it suddenly felt very misty, chilly and inhospitable. A hazy blob appeared through the mist.
74 Ancient summit mound a little closer.jpg
Prehistoric burial mound.

I'd read that there was an ancient cairn at the summit, and I decided to climb it – after all, it was the highest point. As soon as I set foot on it, I felt the hairs on the back of my neck stand on end. As it turns out, the cairn is a prehistoric burial mound dating back to somewhere between 4000 and 1500BC.

There was also a much smaller cairn, a stone shelter and a trig point, and a monument to the people who died in several air crashes on the hill. Maybe that explained the "haunted" feeling? :wtf:

86 Air crash monument closer.jpg

I splashed my way back through the wet bog, and soon emerged from the raincloud. Lovely views opened up once again, out to Wigtown Bay. The best photos I took were distorted by a strange misty patch...
91 Another nice one of Wigton Bay with strange fuzziness.jpg

... which I'm sure can be explained by meteorological phenomena! :shock:

It was already after 5pm, and sunset was just before 6. There was a lovely early evening glow.
92 Nice evening view back to summit.jpg
View back up to the summit, with no sign of the raincloud that had just drenched me!

As I re-entered the forest there was a distinct mistiness just ahead of me. I wondered if it was an isolated bit of cloud, or even a fire – except there was no smell of burning.
94 Eerie mistyness on way back.jpg

The mist soon disappeared, and although darkness was approaching, and there was a bit of an eerie feeling, it was quite enjoyable.

At a clearing, I watched the sun sink behind the trees.
101 Forest sunset close-up.jpg

102 Glorious forest sunset close-up.jpg

At the edge of the forest, the lovely evening glow returned.
103 Beautiful trees with evening sun.jpg

Walking back through the Cairnsmore estate, I watched the last embers of sunlight dipping through the trees.
106 Really gorgeous sunglow through the trees.jpg

Glad to have not even needed to use my headtorch, and feeling really satisfied at the day's Graham/Donald bagging achievements, I set off for home – not realising that my satnav, which seems to have a preference for back roads, was taking me over the narrow, high, bendy and isolated Newton Stewart road. There seemed to be no escape from this road. At one point I pulled over to check my phone in the hope that GoogleMaps might have a better option, but I couldn't even get a signal!

However I did get some great views of the rising Harvest Moon. :shock:

113 Nice closer one of the harvest moon rising.jpg
natubat
Hill Bagger

Munros:207   Corbetts:83
Fionas:83   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:14   Hewitts:8
Wainwrights:4   Islands:7

Re: An easy walk, and an eerie walk

Postby HalfManHalfTitanium » Mon Oct 25, 2021 9:13 pm

Excellent. Should have posted this one on Halloween!

Tim
HalfManHalfTitanium
Mountain Walker

Munros:119   Corbetts:28
Fionas:6   Donalds:6
Hewitts:152
Wainwrights:103   

Postby Petr Dakota » Sun Oct 31, 2021 2:02 pm

I love the way you do your photos, all the small details which really shows the BEAUTY of NATURE :clap:
I can see the happiness in your eyes from the summit selfie, the happy feelings to be out in the Outdoors :thumbup:
That's worthy in any weather conditions...
Petr Dakota
Mountain Walker

Munros:247   Corbetts:28
Fionas:8   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:19
Wainwrights:12   Islands:1

Postby The English Alpinist » Sun Feb 06, 2022 4:24 pm

'although darkness was approaching, and there was a bit of an eerie feeling, it was quite enjoyable.' - I'v often had that feeling! That was a very scenic and interesting walk you had, I look forward to getting there myself.
The English Alpinist
Mountain Walker

Munros:56   Corbetts:11
Fionas:22   Donalds:18+10
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:136
Wainwrights:214   

7 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland