walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Corse Hill in rain on Whitelee Wind Farm tracks

Corse Hill in rain on Whitelee Wind Farm tracks

Postby gld73 » Fri Oct 29, 2021 12:40 pm

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Corse Hill

Date walked: 28/10/2021

Time taken: 3.8 hours

Distance: 19.5 km

Ascent: 270m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Pretty much non stop rain for my first 3 days staying in East Kilbride whilst working in Glasgow for COP26, and no change on the 4th day when I was off. Would have liked to do a nice hill walk in the Pentlands on my drive over to Edinburgh to see my sister, but sodden, muddy terrain didn't really appeal. Fortunately there's a summit to be ticked off just south of EK, the sub2k of Corse Hill, done on good windfarm tracks, so perfect for the conditions. So after a morning doing stuff in the town, I headed south to park at the east entrance to the huge Whitelee wind farm and followed the main Spine road and clear sign posts to Corse Hill summit trig point (Not that there was much in the way of gradient on the walk to make it feel like a hill). Only took 0.9hrs to do the 4.7km to the 'summit' so to get a bit more exercise, I just continued on along the spine road for a few more km before reaching the section currently closed this week for logging work. I could have varied the return route, but there didn't seem much point, it was all just walking along good tracks in amongst wind turbines and forestry, so no difference in views I'd get, so I just stuck to the spine road all the way back to the car. Nothing spectacular by any means, but just grateful to get out for a walk in bad weather, with the bonus of a bagged summit.
APDC8095.JPG
Corse Hill summit trig point and Whitelee Wind Farm

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

gld73

Munros:178   Corbetts:76
Fionas:69   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:94   Hewitts:60
Wainwrights:107   Islands:13

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland