walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Stunning Stucd an Lochain, glorious Glen Lyon

Stunning Stucd an Lochain, glorious Glen Lyon

Postby HalfManHalfTitanium » Sat Oct 30, 2021 4:46 pm

Route description: Stuchd an Lochain

Munros included on this walk: Stùcd an Lochain

Date walked: 20/10/2021

13 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

It was a glorious October morning in Glen Lyon. (Little did I know that the glen would look even finer that afternoon!)

ImageIMG_3275 by Half Man Half Titanium, on Flickr

ImageIMG_2839 (2) by Half Man Half Titanium, on Flickr

Early that morning, it had been a pleasant drive over the hills to the glen - making good use of a passing place at one point, for this behemoth.

ImageIMG_2837 by Half Man Half Titanium, on Flickr

Now, I took the side road up to the Giorra Dam, but had to keep stopping to take photos in the beautiful changing light. The rugged northern spurs of Meall Ghaordaidh add so much to the fine scenes in this section of the glen - I have to disagree with Butterfield's opinion of Meall Ghaordaidh as "quite the dullest hill in the Southern Highlands".

ImageIMG_2842 by Half Man Half Titanium, on Flickr

ImageIMG_2846 by Half Man Half Titanium, on Flickr

ImageIMG_2844 by Half Man Half Titanium, on Flickr

I arrived at the parking spot near the dam. At this point the weather was quite brooding and ominous.

ImageIMG_2855 by Half Man Half Titanium, on Flickr

Next to the parking area, the Meggernie and Lochs Estate have put up a very useful notice board. It may have been there a couple of years ago when I walked to Meall Buidhe, but on that occasion it was horizontal rain and I didn't stop to look.

I will put the details at the end of this report for anyone who is interested. They include maps of routes that are open on all days during the stalking season, to Stucd an Lochain, Meall Buidhe, Cam Chreag, Meall Ghaordaidh, Beinn nan Oighreag and Meall nam Maigheach.

While looking at the board, I became aware of light breaking through behind me, and turned around to see shafts of light on Beinn nan Oighreag.

ImageIMG_2860 by Half Man Half Titanium, on Flickr

Then I set off, stopping to admire the autumn foliage and plentiful fungus below the dam.

ImageIMG_3223 by Half Man Half Titanium, on Flickr

ImageIMG_3227 by Half Man Half Titanium, on Flickr

I soon came to the cairn signalling the start of the path, and followed it uphill. Over the loch, the sun was coming out again.

ImageIMG_2870 by Half Man Half Titanium, on Flickr

Looking back to the dam, with Cam Chreag in the background.

ImageIMG_2901 by Half Man Half Titanium, on Flickr

The middle section of Loch an Daimh from the same spot.

ImageIMG_2884 by Half Man Half Titanium, on Flickr

I soon reached a place where I could start to glimpse the view back east to Glen Lyon.

ImageIMG_2918 by Half Man Half Titanium, on Flickr

There was more fungus alongside the path.

ImageIMG_3186 by Half Man Half Titanium, on Flickr

Before I expected it, I reached the crest of the ridge and the views widened out.

ImageIMG_2932 by Half Man Half Titanium, on Flickr

Looking down into the Lairig Luaidhe between Beinn nan Oighreag and Creag an Tulabhain. As with Meall Luaidhe on Meall nam Maigheach, the name may well be connected with lead mining in this area, but I can find very little about the mines.

ImageIMG_2924 by Half Man Half Titanium, on Flickr

From here, a short rise, following a line of fence posts, took me to the top of Creag an Fheadain, and a great view back down into Glen Lyon.

ImageIMG_2959 by Half Man Half Titanium, on Flickr

The top of Creag an Fheadain also opened up views to the west, including the outline of Buachaille Etive Mor across Rannoch Moor.

ImageIMG_3162 by Half Man Half Titanium, on Flickr

Pool on Creag an Fheadain

ImageIMG_3179 by Half Man Half Titanium, on Flickr

There was also a good view to the south - Meall Ghaordaidh and its northern ridges looking very fine over the ridge of Sron Chona Coirein.

ImageIMG_2966 by Half Man Half Titanium, on Flickr

At this point I was hit by rain and strong westerly winds. But I plodded on and soon the sun came out again, revealing the Tarmachan ridge beyond this reedy pond.

ImageIMG_3011 by Half Man Half Titanium, on Flickr

As I walked along the ridge, Lochan nan Cat came into sight bit by bit.

ImageIMG_2987 by Half Man Half Titanium, on Flickr

The sunshine now felt actually warm! I decided it was time for a sit down and lunch. Above me were fast moving clouds, and sunlight on moss.

ImageIMG_3020 by Half Man Half Titanium, on Flickr

My picnic spot. On the left is faraway Beinn a'Chreachain.

ImageIMG_2996 by Half Man Half Titanium, on Flickr

Eventually I shouldered the rucksack and headed along the last easy bit of ridge towards the top. This section of the walk was like a stroll in some kind of hilly heaven. To the south I had a grand view of Ben More above the deep gap between Sgiath Chuil and Beinn Cheathaich. An Grianan is in the foreground.

ImageIMG_3041 by Half Man Half Titanium, on Flickr

And to the west, Beinn a'Chreachain looked like the culminating wave of a rippled sea. The top of Stob Ghabhar can be seen peeking out to its right.

ImageIMG_3028 by Half Man Half Titanium, on Flickr

Further right was Clach Leathad and the dim shapes of the Glencoe hills.

ImageIMG_3029 by Half Man Half Titanium, on Flickr

On my right hand side there were glimpses of Loch an Daimh, or rather the muddy bottom of it.

ImageIMG_3002 by Half Man Half Titanium, on Flickr

The last few steps to the summit.

ImageIMG_3046 by Half Man Half Titanium, on Flickr

There were now wide views all around me. In this photo, the left-hand skyline is Cruach Ardrain and Beinn a'Chroin above the Beinn Cheathaich - Meall Glas ridge. In the centre are Beinn Challuim, Beinn Heasgarnich and a bit of Ben Lui, and on the right are Beinn Dorain, Beinn Mhanach and Beinn an Dothaidh.

ImageIMG_3117 by Half Man Half Titanium, on Flickr

Looking back down on my route

ImageIMG_3143 by Half Man Half Titanium, on Flickr

Meall Buidhe from the final slopes below the summit

ImageIMG_3063 by Half Man Half Titanium, on Flickr

Lochan nan Cat from the same spot

ImageIMG_3062 (1) by Half Man Half Titanium, on Flickr

Summit cairn and Ben Lawers

ImageIMG_3091 by Half Man Half Titanium, on Flickr

Very different weather over the Crianlarich hills

ImageIMG_3113 (1) by Half Man Half Titanium, on Flickr

Looking south-west

ImageIMG_3106 by Half Man Half Titanium, on Flickr

Beinn Heasgarnich and the Loch Lyon dam

ImageIMG_3119 by Half Man Half Titanium, on Flickr

Bridge of Orchy hills

ImageIMG_3112 by Half Man Half Titanium, on Flickr

The head of Loch an Daimh

ImageIMG_3093 by Half Man Half Titanium, on Flickr

Looking 'over the top' to Rannoch Moor. On the moor, directly above the loch-side patch of pine trees, is a white dot which I think is the Moor of Rannoch Hotel (might only be visible if you enlarge the Flickr image)

ImageIMG_3103 by Half Man Half Titanium, on Flickr

It was a very pleasant walk back to the car. As I set off for my guest house, a rainbow appeared.

ImageIMG_3254 by Half Man Half Titanium, on Flickr

ImageIMG_3245 by Half Man Half Titanium, on Flickr

The afternoon light was also very fine on Beinn nan Oighreag

ImageIMG_3255 by Half Man Half Titanium, on Flickr

And there were wonderful scenes along the glen.

ImageIMG_3261 by Half Man Half Titanium, on Flickr

ImageIMG_3257 by Half Man Half Titanium, on Flickr

ImageIMG_3262 by Half Man Half Titanium, on Flickr

ImageIMG_3274 by Half Man Half Titanium, on Flickr

The colours of these trees and grass reminded me of my trip to Utah, also in October

ImageIMG_3271 by Half Man Half Titanium, on Flickr

ImageIMG_3266 by Half Man Half Titanium, on Flickr

A last view of the Tarmachan ridge

ImageIMG_3277 by Half Man Half Titanium, on Flickr

The next morning, it was time for the long drive south. But I took the chance to photograph some scenes along the way. I was surprised at the slight dusting of frost on Ben Lui compared to more significant snow on Beinn Dorain, the Tarmachan and Ben Lawers. The rock in the foreground of photo 4 is the standing stone by the A827 just west of the old Killin Curling Pond.

ImageIMG_3285 by Half Man Half Titanium, on Flickr

ImageIMG_3284 by Half Man Half Titanium, on Flickr

ImageIMG_3290 by Half Man Half Titanium, on Flickr

ImageIMG_3293 by Half Man Half Titanium, on Flickr

ImageIMG_3303 by Half Man Half Titanium, on Flickr

ImageIMG_3308 by Half Man Half Titanium, on Flickr

ImageIMG_3296 by Half Man Half Titanium, on Flickr

ImageIMG_3299 by Half Man Half Titanium, on Flickr

ImageIMG_3309 by Half Man Half Titanium, on Flickr

ImageIMG_3318 by Half Man Half Titanium, on Flickr

ImageIMG_3320 by Half Man Half Titanium, on Flickr

Finally, here are those details of routes on the Meggernie and Lochs Estate which are open all year round, to Stucd an Lochain, Meall Buidhe (the Munro), Cam Chreag (Glen Lyon), Meall Ghaordaidh, Beinn nan Oighreag and Meall nam Maigheach.

I have not seen this information on the Heading for the Scottish Hills website (https://www.outdooraccess-scotland.scot/doc/heading-scottish-hills-stalking-tables-central-highlands-area-6) which simply states in regard to these hills "No stalking information provided, be prepared to follow reasonable local guidance."

The notice board states "Our stalking teams are under great pressure to achieve annually the essential deer cull and this becomes very difficult or impossible if deer are unduly disturbed. For this reason, during the crucial part of our stalking season (20th July to 21st October) it would be greatly appreciated if you would keep to the routes marked on the map." These routes are marked in dotted pink lines on these maps.

IMG_2863.JPG

IMG_2862.JPG

IMG_2861.JPG

IMG_2854.JPG

IMG_2852.JPG
Last edited by HalfManHalfTitanium on Fri Dec 03, 2021 9:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HalfManHalfTitanium
Mountain Walker

Munros:119   Corbetts:28
Fionas:6   Donalds:6
Hewitts:152
Wainwrights:103   

Re: Stunning Stucd an Lochain, glorious Glen Lyon

Postby maxie23 » Sat Oct 30, 2021 5:32 pm

Tim.

Cracking set of photos, very atmospheric. :clap:

Looks like you had a good day out. :D

Re your photo of the summit, here's the same view on a glorious sunny day in October 2015.

ImageStuchd an Lochain by robert irvine, on Flickr

Regards.

Robert
maxie23

Munros:67   Corbetts:16
Fionas:3   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:3   

Postby Hillbeback » Sat Oct 30, 2021 8:23 pm

Tim,

Glen Lyon is a stunning place in Autumn when all the beautiful colours of the trees etc come alive.
Glad you got a lovely day to see it in its glory.

Your photos are super as per usual. You certainly have the technique to capture a good image :clap: .

Moira
Hillbeback

Munros:67   Corbetts:6
Fionas:4   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:4   

Postby HalfManHalfTitanium » Sun Oct 31, 2021 6:09 pm

maxie23 wrote:Tim.

Cracking set of photos, very atmospheric. :clap:

Looks like you had a good day out. :D

Re your photo of the summit, here's the same view on a glorious sunny day in October 2015.

ImageStuchd an Lochain by robert irvine, on Flickr

Regards.

Robert

Thanks Robert - and good to hear from you, I hope all is well with you! Hope you’ve been getting out and about post-lockdown.

Great photo- looks like it was taken from the identical spot to mine! I think this hill would be good at all times of year - a nice easy walk on a warm summer day, or a good one for the short days of winter. Either way there is a fantastic surround of fine hills in view, in every direction.

Take care
Tim
HalfManHalfTitanium
Mountain Walker

Postby Colin1951 » Mon Nov 01, 2021 4:54 pm

Lovely wee outing, this one, and such a fabulous viewpoint if you get a clear day like yours. In my youth I did Meall Buidhe on the other side of the dam as the other half of the outing, but can’t say it added anything apart from the tick!
Colin1951
Stravaiging

Munros:226   Corbetts:20
Fionas:5   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:2   
Islands:12
Walk wish-list

Postby HalfManHalfTitanium » Mon Nov 01, 2021 6:56 pm

Hillbeback wrote:Tim,

Glen Lyon is a stunning place in Autumn when all the beautiful colours of the trees etc come alive.
Glad you got a lovely day to see it in its glory.

Your photos are super as per usual. You certainly have the technique to capture a good image :clap: .

Moira

thanks so much Moira! - really appreciated!

Hope you are able to get out and about a bit at the moment, especially as sunshine is getting rarer this time of year!

Tim
HalfManHalfTitanium
Mountain Walker

Postby maxie23 » Mon Nov 01, 2021 8:35 pm

Tim.

I agree with you about the views from the top, it was only my second munro and we had great views on that day.
We drove up from Falkirk in very misty conditions that finally cleared as we approached Bridge of Balgie, then it was bright sunshine for the rest of the day.

Not been out a lot since a week in Assynt in June, what a place.
Hope you are keeping well.

Regards.

Robert
maxie23

Munros:67   Corbetts:16
Fionas:3   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:3   

Postby Graeme D » Mon Nov 01, 2021 10:59 pm

Wonderful report. I've never been remotely as lucky in my dalliances with Stuchd an Lochain. Maybe one day! :lol:
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:124
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:62   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Postby HalfManHalfTitanium » Tue Nov 02, 2021 7:24 pm

Colin1951 wrote:Lovely wee outing, this one, and such a fabulous viewpoint if you get a clear day like yours. In my youth I did Meall Buidhe on the other side of the dam as the other half of the outing, but can’t say it added anything apart from the tick!

Thanks very much! Impressive to do both Munros in one day. I climbed Meall Buidhe by itself and sadly saw nothing. Other TRs mention a fine view of Rannoch Moor, but you get that ‘from Stucd an Lochain, looking over the top of the Meall Buidhe plateau.

Cheers!

Tim
HalfManHalfTitanium
Mountain Walker

Postby HalfManHalfTitanium » Thu Nov 04, 2021 8:31 pm

Graeme D wrote:Wonderful report. I've never been remotely as lucky in my dalliances with Stuchd an Lochain. Maybe one day! :lol:

Thanks very much!

Yes it’s definitely worth a visit on a day of good visibility!

Tim
HalfManHalfTitanium
Mountain Walker

Postby HalfManHalfTitanium » Sat Nov 06, 2021 7:37 pm

maxie23 wrote:Tim.

I agree with you about the views from the top, it was only my second munro and we had great views on that day.
We drove up from Falkirk in very misty conditions that finally cleared as we approached Bridge of Balgie, then it was bright sunshine for the rest of the day.

Not been out a lot since a week in Assynt in June, what a place.
Hope you are keeping well.

Regards.

Robert

Yes I think climbing Stucd an Lochain in good conditions would certainly whet the appetite for more Munros!

Assynt is amazing. Did you do a TR? - I will have a look for it.

Tim
HalfManHalfTitanium
Mountain Walker

13 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland