walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

To Hell's Glen And Back

To Hell's Glen And Back

Postby Craiging619 » Sun Oct 31, 2021 2:44 pm

Fionas included on this walk: Cruach nam Mult, Stob an Eas

Date walked: 14/05/2021

Time taken: 5.85 hours

Distance: 10.5 km

Ascent: 950m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Lockdown was finally over (kind of), so I was able to head up North in mid-May to climb a couple of Grahams I had never got round to at the back of the Arrochar Alps. The terrain was erm "challenging" (Cruach nam Mult had a load of upended branches to contend with, and Stob an Eas was maybe the steepest hill I've climbed so far), but the weather was fine and the views were great towards Loch Fyne, Cowal and the Clyde.

Oh, we're still doing that. :lol:

Well it's 12:30...... nearly? :wink:

An alleyway of trees.

I parked at the 222m point where two tracks meet the B839 at the top of Hell's Glen. There seemed to be enough space for any felling vehicles to turn in/out. I passed a random camper van on the way up/round the hillside.

Passing the end of the trees, I was confronted by a load of felled forestry. I would have to be careful here, as I remember cutting my hand descending from The Brack in 2013 after trying to cut through a maze of felled trees.

After approaching something that looked like a big gate (but turned out to be a turn in the fence), I lobbed it and headed into a field of felled trees. The going was...not great here... :shock:

There was about 150m of rather painful climbing through the felling and gullies to around 400m, before I was left with no option but to clamber over this high fence. It was around now that I realised it was a mistake to even enter this field: if I had turned left at the end of the forestry I would have avoided the whole thing! :crazy: Something to note for the descent.

Views started to open up towards Stob an Eas, the (potential) aim for the afternoon.

That's my car!

Loch Fyne looking braw below.

Finally up onto the summit plateau. There were two or three rises here: from memory the true summit is the last one.

This is it! ......I think. It's not very well marked, like a few Grahams.

Would recognise that anywhere (even from the back).

Some sheep guard the way down.

The ascent took around 1hr 25 mins, but the descent was much quicker, partly due to me taking the more direct route down and avoiding that massive field of felled trees and fences. In 45 minutes I would be back at the roadside for a rare lunch in the car.

Still can't avoid those felled branches at the end though!

Phew, back to something more walkable.

Lunch awaits...

Good to know, I suppose?

Another alleyway of trees, but bigger than the one on the other side.

The forestry road zig-zags gently up the hill at first, with views back towards Cruach nam Mult.

At 300-350m it flattens and turns into a track, with some bonus overhanging trees to add a mild sense of danger, :o

At 380m it's time to turn left, round the corner of the trees and pick up a faint path that leads to......

......this. Oh dear. :shock:

The first part wasn't too steep but very quickly it got troublesome. The ground is relentless steep with many gullies to negotiate.

You'd never know from looking at it, but this is a Graham. The exact same height at Green Lowther, unbelievably.

Almost wish I was back over there fighting with felled branches.

I assume most folk club Stob an Eas this way? I've never head of a path going any other way.

Inveraray (probably a lot calmer than this heffalump of a hill).

Loch Goil.

After a billion stops I hauled myself to the top of the steepest section, and headed North round the side in a bit of a circle to try and ease the gradient a bit more.

Ya beauty...

At least the reward is an amazing view.

I'm glad I finally climbed it, but never again...... :crazy:

Hmmmmm. We'll agree to disagree.

The climb of Stob an Eas took longer than Cruach nam Mult (the first hill was around 2hrs 20mins, but Stob an Eas took more than three hours), but the whole afternoon including lunch took less than six hours. On the descent from Stob an Eas, I got the news I had been dreading. Another lockdown was on the way, but for Glasgow only. :( I guess it's case of "Snooze You Lose": at least I got this climb in just in time.........

Craiging619
Hill Bagger

Munros:70   Corbetts:33
Fionas:40   Donalds:39+9
Sub 2000:22   
Islands:21
Walk wish-list

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland