walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Surprise solitude in the city

Surprise solitude in the city

Postby thepigguy » Mon Nov 01, 2021 3:51 pm

Route description: Arthur's Seat and Holyrood Park, Edinburgh

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Arthur's Seat

Date walked: 30/09/2021

Time taken: 2.25 hours

Distance: 6 km

Ascent: 293m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

This doesn't happen very often. For ten glorious minutes, I had the top of Arthur's Seat all to myself. Then a group of lads in cardigans and dazzling white trainers arrived, but it was nice while it lasted.

It was just a leg stretch the day after arriving in Edinburgh from Orkney (two ferries, three buses), setting off up Easter Road, over to the parliament building and up around the road towards the hill itself.

arthur1.jpg
St Margaret's Loch

arthur4.jpg
Looking out along the East Lothian coastline

It had been damp through the morning, but visibility was improving all the time as I negotiated some surprisingly slippery going on the way up to the top, glad I'd decided to wear boots as I met a few visitors struggling on their way down in "town" shoes.

arthur5.jpg
Leith

arthur6.jpg
The view west over the city

arthur7.jpg
The Pentlands in the distance

From the top I headed south and then followed the steep path, meeting the road near St Leonard's, before stopping off for a pint and then a bus back to Leith.

arthur8.jpg
Looking back at Arthur's Seat

arthur9.jpg
Salisbury Crags
thepigguy
Walker

Munros:3   Corbetts:5
Fionas:10   Donalds:27+11
Sub 2000:68   Hewitts:5
Islands:24

Re: Surprise solitude in the city

Postby Graeme D » Mon Nov 01, 2021 11:04 pm

Auld Reekie was once home for 12 years. Had many a wonderful foray up the Seat back in the day. Nice to see a wee report on it on here again.
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:123
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:59   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland