walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Meall/s Corranaich & a'Choire Leith

Meall/s Corranaich & a'Choire Leith

Postby Bruadair » Thu Apr 07, 2011 8:08 pm

Route description: Meall Corranaich and Meall a'Choire Lèith

Munros included on this walk: Meall a' Choire Lèith, Meall Corranaich

Date walked: 27/03/2011

Time taken: 5 hours

Distance: 9.83 km

Ascent: 802m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I hadn't been out for a for a couple of weeks following my mis-hap on attempt at Ben Lui, so thought I would try an easier double and chose Meall Corranaich & Meall a'Choire Leith.

The clocks were to go forward this weekend so I thought I might attempt a partial night walk and set off at 3.15am (new time) arriving at parking area NN594416 at approx' 5.45am and after manoevering to a safe and suitable position I took stock of my surroundings......it...was....DARK or maybe even DARK, DARK........I couldn't see a thing.

Having read report the previous night, I recalled the walk being noted for being wet with numerous unavoidable peat bogs....so did I want to take the gamble in pitch black.........NAH!....time for a coffee.
P1010252.JPG
View over Lochain na Lairige towards Ben Vorlich & Stuc a'Chroin taken at approx 6.15am (new time)

As soon a day started to break (approx 6.30am) I set off up the track oposite and turned off in an Easterly direction at NN594417 to hop, skip, jump and back track across peat bog until I joined fence line at NN601416 which I followed more or less all the way to summit.
P1010255.JPG
Looking back across peat bog on assent up Meall Corranaich
P1010256.JPG
Sun opening up against Tarmachan
As I continued to assend the cloud started to roll in big time and visibility became very poor which in turn limited quality of photo's
P1010259.JPG
Closing in on cloudy summit
P1010260.JPG
View (or not) towards Ben Lawers etc

P1010261.JPG
Meall Corranaich 1st Cairn
P1010262.JPG
Track to 2nd Cairn
P1010263.JPG
Meall Corranaich 2nd Cairn
After taking the summit proof shots I continued along ridge line track, which due to hard packed iced snow I drifted on and off and eventually OFF where plateau was white with iced snow.
Again I recalled report where it was noted that it appeared route headed in a particular direction, but this was wrong and that correct route required slight desent to follow true ridge line....what ridge line.....I still couldn't see a thing for cloud cover, so checked my SatMap for my location, which turned out to be NN616418 and was a tad too far West and that as if by special request (well it was actually).....there was a momentary break in the cloud, which was just enough to reveal the ridge line.......but to get back on track I had to cross and desend via this iced up plateau....so I stepped on to the ice took a few steps, the switly back off in order to put on my crampons (better safe than sorry) and off I headed to rejoin track at approx' NN617421 and follow ridge line down off Meall Corranaich.....I took a few photo's as I went along, but they consisted of a lot of cloud with little of the hills peeking through so were not worth posting. As I continued to desend the cloud was being left behind me and I could see pretty much a clear Meall a'Choire Leith.
P1010270.JPG
View of Meall a'Choire Leith from ridge line
P1010274.JPG
Meall a'Choire Leith summit cairn
P1010276.JPG
From A'Choire Leith East towards Loch An Daimh
P1010280.JPG
Looking back at Meall Corranaich

After a few summit shots I desended South West towards intake at NN603433, but on way down I could hear voices so looked up towards Meall Corranaich and could just about make out some movement, so I whipped out my camera, zoomed in a far as possible and result there they were.....but who!!
P1010284.JPG
Who did I see at approx 10.00am on 27th March
after that I continued my desent with as little stops as possible....Scotland were playing Brasil and I had to get home for kick off.
P1010285.JPG
Tarmachan again taken enroute back to car
P1010291.JPG
Finally Cairn above parking area (NN593416)
Finally made it back to car...had a coffee and a bite to eat, then off home for the footie....just a pity there was so much cloud about to wreck some good photo opportunities....still a good day though.

Regards......................B

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Bruadair
Mountaineer

Re: Meall/s Corranaich & a'Choire Leith

Postby ChrisW » Thu Apr 07, 2011 9:15 pm

Great effort Bruadair, you deserved better weather for it. Still got some good shots though :D
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby Bruadair » Thu Apr 07, 2011 9:47 pm

ChrisW wrote:Great effort Bruadair, you deserved better weather for it. Still got some good shots though :D

Cheers Chris.............Yes weather could have been better, (or worse) but it was a decent walk and good to get back out.

Regards...............B
Bruadair
Mountaineer

Postby Merry-walker » Fri Apr 08, 2011 12:03 am

Looks a lovely walk :)
Merry-walker
Mountaineer

Munros:65   Corbetts:53
Fionas:12   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:5   

Postby yokehead » Fri Apr 08, 2011 3:24 pm

Well done in this, and in moving on from your previous epic! :D

Very changeable weather conditions you had but you were able to get some fine photos. 8)
yokehead

Munros:73   Corbetts:9
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:118
Wainwrights:23   

Postby Bruadair » Fri Apr 08, 2011 3:36 pm

yokehead wrote:Well done in this, and in moving on from your previous epic! :D

Very changeable weather conditions you had but you were able to get some fine photos. 8)

Thanks Yokehead,

Weather was very changeable...at start it looked like it was going to be a good day, then cloud drifted in and sat around 900m mark......but lifted a tad to more or less clear M.a'CL summit...once out of the cloud weather was good.

Regards....................B
Bruadair
Mountaineer

Postby Bruadair » Fri Apr 08, 2011 3:46 pm

Merry-walker wrote:Looks a lovely walk :)

Hi Again MW,

I say again because I replied to your post, but don't know where it's gone......if it shows up later and anyone thinks I've lost it (me not the post)......honest I did post previously. Anyway thanks for reading MW......the walk was good, and I'm with clear skies it would be lovely, but unfortunately for the large, and most interesting part of the walk visibility was minimal.......for the size of Ben Lawers and the proximity.....I couldn't see it. Following the ridge round Coire Liath the side of An Stuc was visible, but top remained under cloud.

Regards.............B
Bruadair
Mountaineer

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland