walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Adventures on the 101

Adventures on the 101

Postby thepigguy » Tue Nov 02, 2021 6:41 pm

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Black Mount, East Cairn Hill, Mendick Hill

Date walked: 01/10/2021

Time taken: 10 hours

Distance: 31.45 km

Ascent: 1111m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I was in Edinburgh, staying at my daughter's place. I had no car, but I did have a shiny new over-60s bus pass, so surely getting out to play in the hills wasn't going to be too difficult.

Stagecoach have something of a reputation at home in Orkney (one bus in Kirkwall was, not so long ago, found to have mushrooms growing in it), but the 101 Edinburgh-Biggar service is fairly regular and seems to be a reliable friend to the hillwalker.

Friday October 1
Mendick Hill
Distance: 8.9km
Ascent: 317m
Time: 3 hours

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Leaving Edinburgh bus station at 10.20, I got off outside the Gordon Arms in West Linton about an hour later and set off at a leisurely pace up the road to the golf club and around the route that most others seem to follow.

20211001_112156.jpg
All quiet on the 101 as we leave Edinburgh bus station.

mendick3.jpg
Turn up towards the golf club here

mendick4.jpg
Much leafiness as you make your way past some very nice houses

mendick5.jpg
First sight of Mendick Hill from the golf club

The weather stayed bright, but the wind was increasing as I made my way past the entrance to the golf club and along the road, leaving the tarmac and taking the lefthand track towards South Slipperfield. The old road makes for easy going past the trees and across a delightful bridge over West Water.

mendick6.jpg
Bear left here

mendick7.jpg
Mendick Hill and the bridge over West Water

mendick8.jpg
Inscription on the bridge

mendick9.jpg
Lovely, isn't it?

There's another tree plantation alongside the track and then, after Hardgatehead, it was time to turn right and start to cross some damp ground and then start to climb properly. It's surprisingly sharp and there was a fair bit of puffing and wheezing before the ground started to level out and the last stretch up to the top.

mendick11.jpg
Looking at the steep pull up Mendick Hill

mendick12.jpg
South towards Ingraston Hill and Black Mount

mendick13.jpg
Mendick Hill summit, looking north towards the main Pentland range

mendick14.jpg
South east towards Broughton Heights

It was windy and getting colder at the top, so after a quick cup of tea it was time to head down, following the path towards South Slipperfield. I went through the gate and decided to stay on higher ground as the going was already getting heavier. I went through another gate in a gap in the trees and had to go around an acre of neeps which took me closer to the farmhouse than I'd normally like, but I regained the road and headed back to West Linton, missing the 14.11 bus by minutes, although there was time for a beer and a sandwich at the Gordon Arms before the 15.05. It's a hard life!

mendick15.jpg
Friendly horse on the way down

mendick16.jpg
Looking back from South Slipperfield

Sunday October 3
East Cairn Hill, Carlops to Balerno
Distance: 16.8km
Ascent: 495m
Time taken: 5hr

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

On Sunday there are just the two 101 buses in either direction between Edinburgh and Biggar with about a four hour "window" for walking between the outward and return journeys. I'd planned to bag East Cairn Hill from Carlops, but wasn't confident I'd make it out and back in the three hours and 45 minutes between buses, so decided on plan B to cross over to Balerno and get the 44 Lothian Buses service back to the city.

In contrast to the weekday service, the 10.15am 101 was packed by the time we got out of the city centre, full of (mainly) students in some very nice walking gear. At least three-quarters of the passengers got off at Flotterstone and by the time we got to Carlops there were only a handful of us left.

I headed south along the road and then turned right, slightly uphill, following the sign for Butland. The going is reasonably quick on the track which goes past Carlop Hill Farm and Fairliehope before dropping down slightly to the North Esk reservoir. The signpost directs you across a field, but I stuck to the track down to and around the reservoir.

eastcairn1.jpg
Busy Sunday on the 101

eastcairn3.jpg
Heading towards Fairliehope

eastcairn4.jpg
Down towards the reservoir

eastcairn5.jpg
North Esk Reservoir

I dawdled by the reservoir, noting that I would definitely be pushing it to get up East Cairn Hill and back in time for the 101, then through a gate onto a rougher path into moorland and over towards the Borestane where I turned left along what looks like a new track (put there for grouse shooters?), heading towards East Cairn Hill.

After a short way I went through a gate and followed another rough path which gained height steadily before reaching the top of East Cairn Hill. The exact summit is hard to work out, so I wandered around all the high looking spots before relying on GPS, planting my poles and taking the obligatory picture.

eastcairn8.jpg
First sight of East Cairn Hill

eastcairn12.jpg
The Borestane

eastcairn11.jpg
Pretty sure this is the top

I headed back down to the Borestane and along the track to King's Hill, turning right, aiming for Bavelaw. It was a bit of a trudge along the track and I admit I'm not a fan of this side of the Pentlands. But it made for relatively easy going and there was some afternoon sunshine as I reached the road which headed past the Threipmuir reservoir and car park and on to the bus stop at Balerno.

eastcairn13.jpg
Looking back at East Cairn Hill

eastcairn16.jpg
Black Hill (Pentlands) from Threipmuir

Monday October 18
Black Mount
Distance: 5.75km
Ascent: 299m
Time taken: 2hr

A couple of weeks later I was back in Edinburgh and had a free morning so hopped on the 8.20 from the bus station and just after 9.30 was in Dolphinton wandering past the church on the road out to Roberton Mains. Black Mount is far from spectacular or large, but this was a really enjoyable outing.

A few hundred yards after the turn for Kirkhouse, there's a stile and a clear path which climbs gradually towards White Hill, finding its way around that hill before arriving at the foot of Black Mount. There are gentler, more roundabout ways up, but I went for the direct way alongside the fence (which shows obvious signs of wear from being used to pull walkers up!). It's sharp, but height was gained quickly and I was soon at Windlestraw Top.

blackmount1.jpg
Leaving the road to head towards the hill

blackmount2.jpg
Black Mount from the track

blackmount3.jpg
Very much the way up

blackmount4.jpg
Steep

There's getting on for half a mile to walk over to the summit, but it was pleasant going. Once at the top, there was a temptation to go on south and take in Broomy Law, however, I retraced my steps to the col between Black Mount and White Hill, this time taking the grassy track towards the farm at Kirkhouse, getting back to the bus stop with well over half-an-hour to spare for the 12.04 back to Edinburgh.

blackmount5.jpg
The summit is still a little way off

blackmount6.jpg
The top of Black Mount with its "nibbled" trig point

thepigguy
Walker

Munros:3   Corbetts:5
Fionas:10   Donalds:27+11
Sub 2000:68   Hewitts:5
Islands:24

Re: Adventures on the 101

Postby gld73 » Wed Nov 03, 2021 1:06 am

No bus pass for me yet, but I'm in the Glasgow and Edinburgh areas a bit over the next few days and hope to get a couple of hill walks in - enjoyed your report thanks, I like useful ones showing turn-offs etc to take! :D
gld73

Munros:178   Corbetts:76
Fionas:69   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:94   Hewitts:60
Wainwrights:107   Islands:13

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland