walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Autumn Birnam Hill, and introducing Dakota

Autumn Birnam Hill, and introducing Dakota

Postby KatTai » Thu Nov 04, 2021 6:46 pm

Route description: Birnam Hill, Birnam

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Birnam Hill - King's Seat

Date walked: 04/11/2021

Time taken: 2.15 hours

Distance: 6.25 km

Ascent: 429m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Too nice a day today to not head somewhere, and Birnam Hill was the chosen spot. There was a space in the parking area (another freed up before we started walking) and we set off under the railway and onto the ascent. Turning off the track onto a path, the gradient steepened giving me a bit of a workout given I haven't been doing as many hill walks as usual! The autumn colours surrounding us provided a distraction though.

2.JPG

At the signpost, we turned off the main path to visit the bridge with views towards Perth.

6.jpg

Continuing up, the trees gave way to slopes covered in brown bracken the well-made path winding along dipping down to the marker post indicating a short-cut cutting off a corner. From here we reached some steps, some are eroded and now a bit high for someone who is only 5'! There are more trees up on the top, the path becoming muddy as it made its way round to the summit where there were views all around.

12.jpg

13.jpg

16.JPG

Heading down it is steep going and remains steep for much of the descent, where it wasn't steep it was muddy :lol: The noise from the A9 increased on the descent as we got closer to the road but for the most part the trees hid the view of the traffic (and the trains). A signpost pointed us in the right direction when reaching the houses, some very impressive buildings here! The road/track is followed for a while before a marker directs off onto an undulating footpath through the woods which eventually reached the main forestry track which led back down to the car park.

And in case anyone has been wondering why I have been quiet lately (I have done some hills, but they have been repeats and not worth doing another report on), I'll take this opportunity to introduce Dakota!

40.JPG

I started fostering her in January (wasn't allowed to post about her publicly) to work on some behavioural issues she had with the thought that she could join Zena as a hill-dog. Unfortunately it turned out her behavioural issues were down to pain, x-rays showed mild hip dysplasia. Despite this and strongly suspecting she wasn't going to be a hill-dog, in September we made her an official member of our family. Sadly upon taking her to another vet he diagnosed Lumbosacral Disease so she is unlikely to ever be joining us on longer hikes and hill adventures as a result of that, but hopefully we can start doing some of the shorter, flatter, easier walks on the website with her because she does love her walks and exploring new places!

Fortunately Moss is back in action and back to tackling hills again despite her spondylosis (thanks to her physio for helping her get fit again!) so Zena still has a companion for hiking with and I have my #1 hill-dog back!
KatTai
Wanderer

Munros:52   Corbetts:16
Fionas:12   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:53   
Islands:32

Re: Autumn Birnam Hill, and introducing Dakota

Postby Graeme D » Thu Nov 04, 2021 11:10 pm

Pleased to meet you Dakota! I'm sure you'll get plenty good, shorter, lower level walks in! I was up there a couple of times this year having not been up previously in about 10 years. I'd forgotten how scary that old bridge is! :shock:
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:123
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:59   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Postby KatTai » Fri Nov 05, 2021 6:14 pm

Graeme D wrote:Pleased to meet you Dakota! I'm sure you'll get plenty good, shorter, lower level walks in! I was up there a couple of times this year having not been up previously in about 10 years. I'd forgotten how scary that old bridge is! :shock:

There's certainly a bit of a drop from the bridge!
KatTai
Wanderer

Postby dogplodder » Fri Nov 05, 2021 6:56 pm

If that's her with the muddy snout she looks lovely.... a big welcome to Dakota! :clap:

You now join the noble ranks of failed fosterers. :wink:
dogplodder

Munros:242   Corbetts:74
Fionas:25   
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:9   Islands:24

Postby KatTai » Fri Nov 05, 2021 7:20 pm

dogplodder wrote:If that's her with the muddy snout she looks lovely.... a big welcome to Dakota! :clap:

You now join the noble ranks of failed fosterers. :wink:

Yup that's her! She loves the mud :lol:

First time fostering, and I failed!
KatTai
Wanderer

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland