walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Couple of easy marilyns - Cairn Table and Common Hill

Couple of easy marilyns - Cairn Table and Common Hill

Postby gld73 » Thu Nov 04, 2021 11:32 pm

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Cairn Table, Common Hill

Date walked: 04/11/2021

Time taken: 4.5 hours

Distance: 22 km

Ascent: 780m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Another day off from COP26, so another chance to do the next couple of nearest hills to where I was staying in East Kilbride after Nutberry Hill and Middlefield Law last week. A beautiful crisp, clear, cool day, perfect for hill walking; in other circumstances it'd have been good to do a proper mountain, but I made do with another 2 small hills, Cairn Table and Common Hill.

Cairn Table
2.2hrs 10.2km 400m
I hadn't realised when I did last week's 2 hills that this one was so close by. Even as I drove down into Muirkirk from the north side I could see the large cairn on top of Cairn Table, and it didn't look like it would be a long walk up. I parked in the walkers car park at Kames and could have done the circular walk as per the WH route, also marked on the map in the car park - but I decided to use the same route up and down as it was a bit longer, plus avoided the notoriously wet and boggy initial stretch of the direct route up. So, instead of taking the path from the car park towards the hill, I went back to the road and continued up past the golf course, following the lane past the information boards about John Loudon McAdam and then the large memorial cairn in his honour.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

The track continues on; a good footbridge goes off to the right over the river, that's the right of way to Sanquhar. I stayed on the track for a short distance after passing it, then just before the track fords the river, took a worn path up through the vegetation on the left, marked with a waymarker pole. The path is wet and muddy in places, not surprising after all the heavy rain last week, but all manageable in hiking boots. It gets stonier and widens, continuing at an easy gradient all the way up to the huge cairn and trig point at the summit. No-one else in sight despite the beautiful weather. Taking in the views, I considered at this point doing a return route over the hill to the west, but decided against it when I remembered I'd only taken one bottle of water with me and didn't have much left already. Return was therefore by the same route, which at least meant I got back to the car with dry feet.
IMG_20211104_105651.jpg
Information signs beside the track say it's where McAdam practised his road building techniques and materials

IMG_20211104_110106.jpg
Memorial cairn to McAdam at the site of his tar works, Cairn Table in the background

IMG_20211104_115636.jpg
Summit area of Cairn Table

IMG_20211104_115733.jpg
Cairn Table trig point, looking over to Common Hill (I think. It was in amongst wind turbines somewhere over there anyway)

Common Hill
2.3hrs 12km 395m

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

It would have been easy to park at the windfarm entrance, but to add an extra mile each way to this short, straightforward hill walk, I parked in the village car park to start from the centre of Douglas instead, walking back west through the village and taking the road toward the wind farm. Could have done this route in trainers, the tarmac road goes straight into the the good wind farm track, and this track is followed all the way up to its high point. A short distance up the branch to the right from here gives a few more metres on good track before popping up on to the grass once you've got to wind turbine no.9, where the trig point is just a few metres from the track.
IMG_20211104_142623.jpg
Entrance to Hagshaw Hill wind farm, could park here if you want to make the walk as short as possible.

IMG_20211104_151347.jpg
View of Tinto through the wind turbines from Common Hill summit

I don't know which hill in Scotland can claim title to being the one from which the most wind turbines can be seen, but Common Hill is in with a chance. On a clear day like this, I could see hundreds of them (literally), there were wind farms in every direction, near and far. At least there was just enough of a breeze today for many of the turbines to be turning.

Returned the same way.
gld73

Munros:178   Corbetts:76
Fionas:69   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:94   Hewitts:60
Wainwrights:107   Islands:13

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland