walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Lessons on autumn hillwallking

Lessons on autumn hillwallking

Postby ActiveLouise » Tue Nov 09, 2021 5:02 pm

Munros included on this walk: Braeriach

Date walked: 30/10/2021

Time taken: 9 hours

8 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Dusk is landing as I step off the hill path and begin to take the last few steps towards my waiting car. My body is in a state of bewildered fatigue. It moves forwards through habit rather than through a conscious effort to push it onwards. By the time I reach the car I am almost surprised to see it. You can sit down if you like, says my brother and walking companion, when I stare blankly at the boot. Yes, good idea, I say, as I slump wearily into the front seat.

Today has been a lesson on hillwalking in Scotland during autumn. The teachings come quick and steady with each vertical step taken and I note them down now in a state of newfound enlightenment. I note them down too, in an attempt to influence the smooth running of any future adventures…

This morning we woke to low cloud and damp air, two features that are not promising for a day of hillwalking. Still, the weather forecast promises brighter spells in the afternoon so we push on with our plans to scale Braeriach in the Cairngorms. Sunshine feels like a far-off memory, however, as we climb higher into the depths of the third highest mountain in the UK. Here the cloud tightens around our bodies, the wind sweeps and the temperature drops uncomfortably low. The rain, meanwhile, falls in a persistent drizzle.

The plan at the start of the day is to navigate a loop up, over and back down the mountain but in the poor visibility we are forced to re-think our route. We retrieve our plan B, which was hastily decided whilst walking the steep ascent, and decide to simply retrace our steps after a few obligatory selfies at the summit. Herein lies the first lesson of autumn hillwalking in Scotland: always have an alternative plan.

The change in route is a light disappointment as it means a longer and more repetitive walk. However, these feelings subside, at least, when the clouds suddenly lift on our way back down the hill. Now the impressive mountain range of the Cairngorms becomes visible in all its splendour. It feels as though these very mountains are opening their arms to us and welcoming us in. It is so different from the stifling cloud and wind faced earlier in the day. We meander along, taking picture after picture.

Still, to skip to the bright skies and pretty views would be a poor (though pleasant) representation of this particular hill walk. The ascent has been tough with its steep path, cold air and continuing dampness. This is where lesson two comes in. Have you got your notepad ready?

Waterproof trousers are an absolute must for hillwalking in Scotland at any time of the year but particularly in autumn. In a moment of error, I decide to wear my ordinary walking trousers for today’s walk, whilst my waterproof ones stay nice and cosy back at home. The result is that I am sodden and cold just a few hours into the walk. Fortunately for me, my brother passes over his waterproofs which I wear gratefully for the remainder of today’s hike. I scold myself, whilst slipping this pair neatly on. It’s a mistake I won’t make again.

Before the final push to reach an unofficial cairn at the top of Braeriach, we find ourselves in need of a quick energy boost. The area is exposed, though, and it is too cold to stop for a quick picnic so we are forced to bring out our emergency shelter. Here we quickly consume our flattened sandwiches and snacks from within its comforting throes. In this little orange hide-out, the wind quietens, the rain disappears and we are able to eat our chosen ‘pieces’ (Scottish slang for sandwich, for those not familiar) without them getting soggy with the perpetual dampness in the air. Here, I discover, lies lesson three. Always have an emergency shelter, even if it’s just to eat lunch in!

Even within this shelter, though, the temperature is cold. The body also chills further when it’s no longer pushing upwards. I am forced to rummage in my backpack for the few extra layers hidden in there. At least this is one area in which I am prepared. I pile on fleeces until I have the appearance of a stuffed teddy bear. I am practically cosy by the time I emerge from the orange shelter and begin the last surge to the top of the hill. Lesson four is, therefore, that you can never have too many layers for autumn hillwalking!

The weather, perhaps unsurprisingly given the points already listed, also influences the final lesson of the day. I learn this one not so far from the top of the hill as my hands begin to tingle and the damp seeps into my gloves. This is the second pair I have brought today. This is the second pair to become so sodden that the water drips out when I squeeze my fists together. I sigh and add a good pair of waterproof gloves to my never-ending list of investments for any future hillwalking expeditions.

These lessons are setting firmly in my mind as the car starts and the hills grow smaller in the rear-view mirror. If you are an experienced hillwalker, you may feel a little exasperated at my naivety towards hillwalking during Scotland’s autumn. You probably think my observations are obvious. However, I am still fairly new to the activity and, as I found out on this particular walk, I am still finding my feet in it. So, I am grateful for the teachings, and the opportunity to share my newfound knowledge. Mostly, though, I am just looking forward to putting them into practise whenever I next face the hills.
Attachments
IMG-20211030-WA0008.jpg
PXL_20211030_133738573.jpg
Just as the clouds cleared going down the hill
IMG-20211030-WA0011.jpg
Wild conditions heading up Braeriach
ActiveLouise
Walker

Munros:26   Corbetts:1

Re: Lessons on autumn hillwallking

Postby Graeme D » Tue Nov 09, 2021 6:03 pm

The mountains in any season are the richest, most rewarding (and sometimes most scary) teaching grounds we have in this country, and I say that as a teacher who spends most of his working year in a classroom, but some of it in the mountains with the little cherubs. Glad you picked up some valuable lessons and are keen to get back out and put them into practice. Just one thing though in relation to your final lesson - should you ever find a pair of truly waterproof gloves, please do let me know. Money no object! I have found socks that are pretty much waterproof but even gloves that I have bought sporting the bold claim of "100% waterproof" have buckled under the assault from either a downpour or a day of constant steady rain. I don't believe such a thing as waterproof gloves actually exists!
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:124
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:62   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Postby Scottk » Tue Nov 09, 2021 9:27 pm

Best gloves I have found so far are the pile pertex type. Warm even when wet and pretty light. Mitts are probably best for winter though.
Scottk
Scrambler

Munros:31   

Postby rockhopper » Tue Nov 09, 2021 9:45 pm

Well done - good to see you're still smiling in the last photo despite all your travails. Don't worry, there's always something new to learn no matter how often we've been out - cheers :)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby iangpark » Thu Nov 11, 2021 9:27 am

Good to cram in as many hillwalking lessons into one trip as possible! I own waterproof trousers but loathe taking them anywhere and as a result have often been soaked through. Waterproof (or 3+) gloves are a necessity - I too learned that on one of my first proper winter walks.
iangpark
Mountain Walker

Munros:81   Corbetts:17
Fionas:24   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:80   Hewitts:13
Wainwrights:16   Islands:11

Postby tigerburnie » Thu Nov 11, 2021 11:21 am

I have a pair of fjallraven trousers that are breathable and waterproof, never on the hills without them all year round(though I don't go on munroes in the worst of the winter as I am usually on my own).I prefer to buy stalkers clothing rather than those sold as hill walking clothes, I just find them more durable(I am talking here of clothes in the £200 range rather than extreme search and rescue gear, which I know is excellent, but a lot more expensive)I don't wear gloves, I own several pairs, always carry some, but find I get on better without them, both hill walking or fishing.
tigerburnie

Munros:6   

8 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland