walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Glen Scaddle: an adder and a fawn

Glen Scaddle: an adder and a fawn

Postby Sgurr » Wed Nov 10, 2021 1:33 pm

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: A' Bheinn Bhan, Druim Leathad nam Fias

Date walked: 07/06/2015

8 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

There was a query by Robertgee as to which is the least climbed mainland Marilyn. As of today's date, this would seem to be it, at least in terms of reports on Walkhihghlands, so, in case people are interested, I have copied this from elsewhere. It was six years ago when we were both fitter (who wasn't?) but not fit enough to post any sort of time that might be useful to others.

We set off for Strontian on Saturday 6th June 2015 in heavy rain, assured of a better day to come. Across Rannoch Moor we saw what low light can do: a deer had been hit by a car coming the other way, and two motorists were looking on in incomprehension. Later we saw a police car blaring its way up Glencoe. Meanwhile we stopped at The Study. The waterfall was fuller than we had ever seen it.

What? Druim Leathad nam Fias
When? Sunday 7th June 2015
Weather? Sunshine and showers, very windy at first
Who? Sgurr and R
Distance? 10.1 miles Ascent?2503 feet

Sunday dawned overcast with a high wind, but the sun soon came out.. Having driven round to Glenn Scaddle, we abandoned our plan of cycling up the glen(Plan A) as we would have made little faster progress against the wind than on foot. We also abandoned Plan B which was to climb up the ridge early, as we didn’t want the wind in our faces high up.

Below, the eastern end of the ridge hiding behind some trees

In between the showers, the waterfalls looked fairly replenished, and we were glad we wouldn't have to wade across it.

At the second bridge on the right at Creag Bheitheachain, we crossed.

After walking through the ruined building we set off uphill.

Below, our route as seen from the others side of the glen next day.

We contoured round below some crags,

We came to a waterfall

We set about climbing up. I was steadying myself with a hand on some dry grass, when I saw this, six inches from it

After the waterfall, it was still quite steep

I should really have looked at the map properly earlier, as I wouldn’t have had my hopes raised. A while past the top of the waterfall, I really hoped we were getting somewhere, but we weren’t. We still had nearly two miles to go.

We walked round to some lochans on the ridge,

Setting off towards the summit

Please leave the gate as you found it

and then to the top. Behind Sgurr Domnail et al. At last

Summit views

The weather gods decided to let us eat lunch in peace.

Climbing over the intermediate hill on the way home

A shower behind

We had decided to walk the length of the ridge following rusty fence poles. The Ben was in view all the way down

Down

Down

Down

Down

Down

We thought if we followed the fence, it wouldn’t descend too precipitously

But whoops

We scrambled down some crags following the fence

Then we made for the first bridge

On the way back home we stopped for a rainbow.

We arrived back at the hotel so late, we didn’t feel that we could ask for a proper meal, and R went to bed, but I scrounged some soup, thinking that was all I could really ask for given the poor proprietor had an accident and was in the Belford with suspected concussion.

What? A Bheinn Bhan
When? Monday 8th June 2015
Weather? Warmer sunshine, little wind
Who? Sgurr and R
Distance? Cycling 6 miles Walking 5.6 miles Ascent? Cycling 430 feet Walking 1817 feet.

As for the previous day, we set off for Glen Scaddle, but the wind had dropped and we got ready to cycle in

There were still deep puddles across the road where we dismounted and dragged the bikes round the edges through surrounding bog.

When we got to the forest edge the road looked as if it went up and down too much, so we abandoned the bikes and walked

The track was delightful, if on the long side

From the track we could see our objective. The summit is the indistinct hill to the left rather than the craggy one to the right which is Meall na Freuma.

At approx. NM950675 we made our way through the deciduous trees

When we came to the edge, luckily a tree had knocked down the deer fence, so we were able to get through

We then angled our way up towards the summit, crossing a stream en-route

Views from the summit

Coming down, I saw two of the very few frogs I have managed to spot all year

We discovered a flap in the fence only about 50 metres from where we had originally exited

Walking along the forest track I saw a (?) roe deer rush across my path

And there standing on the track was its tiny fawn

You can see how small it is compared with R

We were literally a few feet away. At first it seemed to bleat weakly for help, and then it went into survival mode and crouched in a heap on the track, so we walked quickly on hoping it’s mother would soon be back. If we had been thundering past on our bikes, we would never have met it.

Once outside the forest, we could look across to yesterday’s summit

But now we were glad we had brought the bikes, since they made easy work of the three miles back.
Sgurr
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:569   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:58

Re: Glen Scaddle: an adder and a fawn

Postby rockhopper » Wed Nov 10, 2021 2:35 pm

Super stuff - very enjoyable read ! Am a bit envious having never come across either an adder or a fawn - plenty of frogs though :roll: Know what you mean about fences - amazing the places they seem to get into yet someone has had to build them in the first place - cheers :)
rockhopper

Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby Sgurr » Wed Nov 10, 2021 5:41 pm

rockhopper wrote:Super stuff - very enjoyable read ! Am a bit envious having never come across either an adder or a fawn - plenty of frogs though :roll: Know what you mean about fences - amazing the places they seem to get into yet someone has had to build them in the first place - cheers :)

Deja vu for 2 :D :D :D
Sgurr
Munro compleatist

Postby Robertgee » Wed Nov 10, 2021 11:30 pm

Brilliant report Sgurr, looked like a brilliant trip. I love getting to quiet remote places where few others venture. Loved the photo of the fawn, couldn't believe just how small it was. I've never saw one before, but I was lucky to spot an adder in the Cheviot Hills, I ended up chasing after it to get a photo :lol:
Robertgee
Walker

Munros:104   Corbetts:39
Fionas:32   Donalds:89
Sub 2000:147   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:38   Islands:60

Postby Sgurr » Thu Nov 11, 2021 11:55 am

Accidental post.
Sgurr
Munro compleatist

Postby Sunset tripper » Thu Nov 11, 2021 7:47 pm

Great stuff Sgurr. Nice pics of the adder and the deer.

I like the Scottish hills site that you first posted on and lots of useful info on it and some great reports. I have used it for years but I use WH mainly now. WH is so easy to navigate through and the information if you need any is unrivalled.

All the best. :D
Sunset tripper

8 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland