walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Hill of the Horse Studs

Hill of the Horse Studs

Postby HalfManHalfTitanium » Wed Nov 10, 2021 11:47 pm

Route description: Meall Greigh, Meall Garbh and An Stùc

Munros included on this walk: Meall Greigh

Date walked: 16/10/2021

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

This hill provides a very easy ascent for some rather lovely views... this is the eastern end of Loch Tay

ImageIMG_1727 (1) by Half Man Half Titanium, on Flickr

According to my SMC book, Meall Greigh means "hill of the horse studs". Um... was it a breeding place for horses? A quick look at Google revealed that horse studs actually look like this.

Horse studs.jpg

Not much wiser, I turned back to the map. The ascent from the Ben Lawers Hotel looked a straightforward route to tackle immediately after my long early morning drive up from England. It was the stalking season, so NTS ownership of the land was a strong selling point for climbing this hill. The weather forecast - starting clear in Perthshire, but cloud and rain moving in from the south-west - clinched the sale.

It turned out to be a really pleasant route. If someone was nervous about climbing hills, then this would be one to take them on. There is nothing remotely like a crag on this route, but the scenery is wonderful. And despite descriptions of the hill as "sprawling", it does have a proper, well-defined summit that gives depth to the views all around.

My advice on this route is: get there early. After a long drive in the dark, I arrived around 9.30am and got the last parking space at the hotel (NB there is also more parking, also £5, through the next gate). There is an honesty box next to the hotel's pre-Covid entrance.

My other advice is: drivers going through Lawers village regard the speed limit as mere guidance.

ImageIMG_1625 by Half Man Half Titanium, on Flickr

A tributary of the Lawers Burn from the road.

ImageIMG_1628 by Half Man Half Titanium, on Flickr

It's impossible to lose the route. Signs are painted on every available surface.

ImageIMG_1639 by Half Man Half Titanium, on Flickr

The day started dull, but with the promise of sunshine, and the woods along the Lawers Burn were beautiful.

ImageIMG_1654 by Half Man Half Titanium, on Flickr

Waterfalls on the Lawers Burn.

ImageIMG_1836 by Half Man Half Titanium, on Flickr

ImageIMG_1845 by Half Man Half Titanium, on Flickr

Once I was out on the open hillside, I came across the many ruined shielings that cluster around the burn.

ImageIMG_1666 by Half Man Half Titanium, on Flickr

The light was increasing.

ImageIMG_1669 by Half Man Half Titanium, on Flickr

Blue skies over the Lawers peaks. A dusting of frost can be seen in the corrie below Ben Lawers' summit.

ImageIMG_1679 by Half Man Half Titanium, on Flickr

Looking across to the southern Loch Tay hills, with Creagan na Beinne on the left, and a glimpse of Ben Chonzie.

ImageIMG_1695 (1) by Half Man Half Titanium, on Flickr

Creag an Fhithich and An Stuc

ImageIMG_1701 by Half Man Half Titanium, on Flickr

The path steepened, but the ascent was very simple, and every step was rewarded with wider views.

ImageIMG_1733 (1) by Half Man Half Titanium, on Flickr

Creagan na Beinne, Ben Chonzie and the middle section of Loch Tay

ImageIMG_1729 by Half Man Half Titanium, on Flickr

The path sidles round the 805m top of Sron Mhor to a small col. From here Meall Garbh and An Stuc looked like giants.

ImageIMG_1736 by Half Man Half Titanium, on Flickr

A mossy rock just below the summit

ImageIMG_1754 (1) by Half Man Half Titanium, on Flickr

What a view!

ImageIMG_1758 (1) by Half Man Half Titanium, on Flickr

Buachaille Etive Mor to Ben Nevis

ImageIMG_1762 by Half Man Half Titanium, on Flickr

The north Glen Lyon hills, and Schiehallion on the far right

ImageIMG_1785 by Half Man Half Titanium, on Flickr

North-east towards the Cairngorms

ImageIMG_1791 by Half Man Half Titanium, on Flickr

Loch Tay from just below the summit

ImageIMG_1751 (1) by Half Man Half Titanium, on Flickr

As per the weather forecast, it clouded over on the way down. I felt very lucky to have had those views!

Still don't know what a horse stud is though.
HalfManHalfTitanium
Mountain Walker

Munros:119   Corbetts:28
Fionas:6   Donalds:6
Hewitts:152
Wainwrights:103   

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland