walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Beinn Bhuidhe, the urbex way

Beinn Bhuidhe, the urbex way

by HalfManHalfTitanium » Thu Nov 11, 2021 5:02 pm

Route description: Beinn Bhuidhe, via Glen Fyne

Munros included on this walk: Beinn Bhuidhe

Date walked: 11/11/2021

Click to mark this as a great report. Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Re: Beinn Bhuidhe, the urbex way

Postby Huff_n_Puff » Thu Nov 18, 2021 3:18 pm

Great photos, and an unusual look at an industrial rural landscape, thank you. After an abortive attempt to reach the summit of Beinn Bhuidhe earlier this year (beaten off by a combination of wind, rain, cold and inappropriate clothing :shock: :shock: ) our next plan is to use this track, so thank for the information and to the others who've used the route .
Huff_n_Puff
Walker

Munros:278   Corbetts:20
Fionas:10   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:19   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:1   Islands:19

Postby HalfManHalfTitanium » Fri Nov 19, 2021 4:10 pm

The English Alpinist wrote:I like reflections and philosophizing in a report, as it's all part of the human experience of mountain walking! Photos are fascinating too. After that experience, perhaps you might enjoy a viewing of The Heroes of Telemark?! I love rounding off my walks with some cultural research based on my encounters out there.

Thank you! Yes - maybe plodding along a scarred track in the mist induces a reflective frame of mind...

The power station certainly suggested Telemark! On a related matter, I remember reading that some of the training for the Telemark operation was done at Loch Morlich, and that shell cases and other debris from the training have occasionally been found on the shore.

A couple of years after that, we were on a family holiday in Aviemore, between Christmas and New Year. It was very cold, and the lochs were frozen. We walked out on Loch Morlich, and suddenly my 5 year old daughter pointed down through the ice and said "What's that?" We looked, and it was a shell casing, lying on the bottom under the ice.

IMG_4622.JPG

IMG_4606.JPG

Tim
HalfManHalfTitanium
Mountain Walker

Munros:119   Corbetts:28
Fionas:6   Donalds:6
Hewitts:152
Wainwrights:103   

Postby HalfManHalfTitanium » Sun Nov 21, 2021 6:45 pm

Klaasloopt wrote:Oh, I like the photo's very much, you've captured the aesthetics very well! But hey, what could we expect, you're half titanium :)
(I face the industrial every now and then, visited Glensanda Superquarry early september)

Superquarry sounds quite something!

Thanks very much, much appreciated!

Tim
HalfManHalfTitanium
Mountain Walker

Postby HalfManHalfTitanium » Wed Nov 24, 2021 7:05 pm

past my sell by date wrote:Interesting :lol:
I did Beinn Buidhe this way maybe 12 -15 years ago - before the Hydro arrived. The track up thru the woods was very obvious from the parking place but once out on the open fell it was just a matter of climbing diagonally up featureless slopes until the summit knoll came into view - much the easiest way up the hill though. :D
They DO make a mess, but in my experience they are pretty good at restoration afterwards, and indeed the planning constraints are very strict ensuring that they do. let's hope that's the case here

I wonder if you and I have a similar approach sometimes to route planning - as I recall that after a very pleasant walk up Sgiath Chuil from Auchlyne, I looked for TRs by anyone else who had used the same approach as me - yours was the only one!

Tim
HalfManHalfTitanium
Mountain Walker

Postby past my sell by date » Wed Nov 24, 2021 7:19 pm

HalfManHalfTitanium wrote:
past my sell by date wrote:Interesting :lol:
I did Beinn Buidhe this way maybe 12 -15 years ago - before the Hydro arrived. The track up thru the woods was very obvious from the parking place but once out on the open fell it was just a matter of climbing diagonally up featureless slopes until the summit knoll came into view - much the easiest way up the hill though. :D
They DO make a mess, but in my experience they are pretty good at restoration afterwards, and indeed the planning constraints are very strict ensuring that they do. let's hope that's the case here

I wonder if you and I have a similar approach sometimes to route planning - as I recall that after a very pleasant walk up Sgiath Chuil from Auchlyne, I looked for TRs by anyone else who had used the same approach as me - yours was the only one!

Tim

Tim
I try to avoid the standard route if at all possible: when I started there were no such thing as guides except for Poucher*** - whose pocket guide only had routes for a few select hills. You looked at the map and worked out a feasible approach. Now I'm afraid that far too often it's " we're doing no. 137 where do we start" :( :(

*** we met him once by chance in the car park as we were about to do Stack Polly - all done up in his blue eyeshadow etc. he signed my guide but taking one look at my (then) girl friend - a sturdy lass - asked in an extremely disdainful tone
" is SHE going up?" :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
past my sell by date
Mountaineer

Munros:282   Corbetts:86
Fionas:27   Donalds:6
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:146
Wainwrights:159   

Postby HalfManHalfTitanium » Thu Nov 25, 2021 5:05 pm

past my sell by date wrote:Tim
I try to avoid the standard route if at all possible: when I started there were no such thing as guides except for Poucher*** - whose pocket guide only had routes for a few select hills. You looked at the map and worked out a feasible approach. Now I'm afraid that far too often it's " we're doing no. 137 where do we start" :( :(

*** we met him once by chance in the car park as we were about to do Stack Polly - all done up in his blue eyeshadow etc. he signed my guide but taking one look at my (then) girl friend - a sturdy lass - asked in an extremely disdainful tone
" is SHE going up?" :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

You MET Poucher?

I have no words. There are not even any emojis for this.

I have almost all his books, they sit on my shelves alongside Frank Smythe, Showell Styles etc. Along with the great photos (some with white lines scribbled on them), I still enjoy his writing with its wonderful style, e.g. Tryfan

"Ahead lies the next obstacle in this sporting course. It consists entirely of rock, so it is best to start where the path runs out at the foot of the cliff."

I agree re looking at the map and working out a route. Years ago I used to do it to link together hills in a single walk. Now I do it because the Walkhighlands route is often a multi-hill circuit and that's too much for me!

Tim
HalfManHalfTitanium
Mountain Walker

Postby past my sell by date » Thu Nov 25, 2021 5:41 pm

Yes it must have been 1982 ish so he was over 90 :shock: He lived till 1988
past my sell by date
Mountaineer

Postby The English Alpinist » Thu Nov 25, 2021 6:04 pm

That's a fascinating story of the shell casing of Loch Morlich. Maybe there's a film title in that! It reminds me of my encounter on Ben Klibreck this summer with the 1955 air crash site. it's well known to aviation enthusists but took me by complete surprise. Poignant symbols of the passage of time,
The English Alpinist
Mountain Walker

Munros:56   Corbetts:11
Fionas:22   Donalds:18+10
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:136
Wainwrights:214   

Postby EmmaKTunskeen » Sat Nov 27, 2021 4:12 pm

Thoroughly entertained by that Tim, in spite of hating horror :wink: ! And oh my, what a poignant, forlorn summit ex-trig. :clap:
EmmaKTunskeen
Mountain Walker

Munros:32   Corbetts:28
Fionas:12   Donalds:14
Sub 2000:4   Hewitts:50
Wainwrights:41   Islands:24

Postby HalfManHalfTitanium » Tue Nov 30, 2021 4:02 pm

The English Alpinist wrote:That's a fascinating story of the shell casing of Loch Morlich. Maybe there's a film title in that! It reminds me of my encounter on Ben Klibreck this summer with the 1955 air crash site. it's well known to aviation enthusists but took me by complete surprise. Poignant symbols of the passage of time,

Thanks! Yes apparently there is a bit to see (and reflect on) at the Vampire crash site on Ben Klibreck.

I found the Canberra crash site on Carn an t-Saigart Mor very evocative, as is the Mosquito crash site at Red Tarn on Helvellyn (no debris left at the latter though).

Black Panther does some fantastic reports on many of the crash sites - well worth taking a look if you have time.

Tim

51251578909_36ed1a5dae_5k.jpg
HalfManHalfTitanium
Mountain Walker

Postby past my sell by date » Tue Nov 30, 2021 4:50 pm

The only one I know well is Halifax LL505 on Great Carrs seven Canadians and a scot. If they had been maybe only a metre higher they would have cleared the ridge and sailed into the air above Langdale :( :(
past my sell by date
Mountaineer

Postby HalfManHalfTitanium » Thu Dec 02, 2021 9:28 pm

past my sell by date wrote:The only one I know well is Halifax LL505 on Great Carrs seven Canadians and a scot. If they had been maybe only a metre higher they would have cleared the ridge and sailed into the air above Langdale :( :(

Yes, I know that memorial - very sad and very evocative.

There are one or two others I've seen. Llwytmor, on the northern edge of the Carneddau, has a couple of sites, with quite a lot of remains - a Heinkel 111 and a Blackburn Botha. Arenig Fawr has the remains of a B17 Flying Fortress which crashed into the summit cairn.

Tim
HalfManHalfTitanium
Mountain Walker

Postby scottnairn » Sat Dec 04, 2021 4:53 pm

Echoing the previous comments, very enjoyable report style - I love doing the same on Facebook albums - infusing photos of scenery, observations with candid ruminations, quips and imaginative captioning to bring a less 'natural' experience alive and relatable. Thanks for the report and well done! :clap: 8)
scottnairn
Mountain Walker

Munros:123   Corbetts:42
Fionas:17   
Sub 2000:14   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:1   Islands:3

Postby bankside » Wed Aug 24, 2022 12:59 pm

Thanks - enjoyable report on urbex, i'me hoping/planning this one for the autumn. hope you're still enjoying the our and about.
bankside
Mountaineer

Postby Andy Milne » Wed May 24, 2023 9:39 am

I followed this route last Friday. However, the forest at Mark Park has all been cut down, and the last few hundred metres of the track was littered with tree branches etc and wasn't easy walking. You wouldn't be able to cycle up this way now.
DSC_0002_40.JPG
I only thought to photograph the track through the forest once clear

The gate after the reservoirs wasn't locked (which confused me thinking there would be another gate) but it is that steep after this that a bike would be no use.

Returning via the other track alongside Newton Hill after the reservoirs, the last very steep descent brings you to a locked gate that you would have to lift a bike over.
Andy Milne
Hill Bagger

Munros:230   Corbetts:42
Fionas:18   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:25   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:3   

28 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

PreviousNext

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland