walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

4 Donald round (inc. 2 grahams) of Culter Fell et al

4 Donald round (inc. 2 grahams) of Culter Fell et al

Postby gld73 » Mon Nov 15, 2021 9:19 pm

Route description: Culter Fell circular, near Biggar

Fionas included on this walk: Culter Fell, Gathersnow Hill

Donalds included on this walk: Culter Fell, Gathersnow Hill, Hillshaw Head, Hudderstone

Date walked: 15/11/2021

Time taken: 4.6 hours

Distance: 18.5 km

Ascent: 923m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Had a good hotel breakfast before departing the hotel in East Kilbride for the final time, and rather than head straight up the road home, I decided to do another hillwalk while I was vaguely in the area. Chose the round of 4 Donalds (2 of which are grahams too) from Coulter near Biggar as it was probably about as good a length of walk as I'd easily manage with the shorter daylight hours now, given I only left the hotel at 10am. Started the walk at 11am. Ground was wet through a lot of it, but never anything walking boots couldn't handle, made it round with dry feet.
APDC8126.JPG
A damp, overcast Monday in November - so I was surprised that both laybys/ parking spots had 3 cars in each already. First ascent, Fell Shin, the hill on the left.

APDC8127.JPG
Heading up Fell Shin, looking back on the start. It was a walk which really reminded me of the Lake District, both in terrain of the hills, sheep dotted around ... and the easy to pronounce hill names...

APDC8128.JPG
Eventually came to the summit of Culter Fell, though it was all in the clag and nothing to see.

APDC8129.JPG
Heading down to Holm Nick, the next hill, Gathersnow Hill ahead, similarly shrouded in wet cloud

APDC8131.JPG
Gathersnow Hill summit and the fence line to follow for the next stretch. I bent over to open my bag and take out a bottle of water after taking this ...

APDC8132.JPG
...then stood up and found that in those few seconds the cloud had lifted a bit and I could see the wind farm ahead (the slope I'd take to Hillshaw Head is going up to the left with the summit out of shot)

APDC8133.JPG
Heading down Gathersnow Hill, the cloud had also lifted to give me my first proper sighting of Culter Hill (on the right) and Tinto (in the distance on the left)

APDC8134.JPG
Zoomed to Tinto and Coulter Reservoir

APDC8135.JPG
Hillshaw Head summit, Culter Hill and Gathersnow Hill behind

APDC8136.JPG
Dropped down from Hillshaw Head to pick up the wind farm track for a stretch towards Hudderstone

APDC8137.JPG
Finally got to see Culter Hill clear of clouds from the unmarked summit of Hudderstone Hill
gld73

Munros:178   Corbetts:76
Fionas:69   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:94   Hewitts:60
Wainwrights:107   Islands:13

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland