walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Ben Chonzie

Ben Chonzie

Postby martin1909 » Tue Nov 16, 2021 7:30 pm

Route description: Ben Chonzie via Glen Lednock

Munros included on this walk: Ben Chonzie

Date walked: 13/11/2021

Time taken: 4 hours

Distance: 12.6 km

Ascent: 735m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

The beautiful thing about Scotlands mountains is that you can have a great day out regardless of the ascent or difficulty of the walk. I decided on Ben Chonzie for the weekends walk, my second Munro of the year (shamefull I know) as it is one of Scotlands quicker Munros and it's the time of year when daylight vanishes fast.

Setting off from home we arrived at the car park for about 09:00, got ourselfes ready and then set off.

The walk up Chonzie isn't too challenging and we made it to the point where you leave the land rover track in good time. The walk up was cold, not freezing but cold however the rays of the November sun beating down were scorching the skin and I was convinced I'd end up with sunburn

IMG_E3411.JPG
Approaching the ford at the dam

IMG_3414.JPG
Looking back down the path...stunning views

Walking up we managed to stay out of cloud for the entire day but could see other hills with cloud hanging below their summits. Schiehallion was looking bautiful and I was quite jealous of the walkers on it as they would have had some great cloud inversion views.

IMG_3420.JPG
Schiehallion in the distance

Leaving the Land Rover track we headed up the steeper face to get to the top plateu. From the top of the steeper section we then had an easy 20 minute walk to the summit. I say easy but every steo I was taking felt like 100 sue to the fact that I was absolutelt starved.

We reached the summit, took the obligatory summit photos and then sat down to some lunch. We enjoyed 20 minutes of relaxing before heading back down.

IMG_3424.JPG
The summit

We re-traced our steps back down the mountain and back to the car. Another cracking day up the hills.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

martin1909
Mountaineer

Munros:42   Corbetts:1
Fionas:1   
Sub 2000:4   
Islands:9

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland