walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

On top of the far north- Cranstackie and Beinn Spionnaidh

On top of the far north- Cranstackie and Beinn Spionnaidh

Postby Mountainlove » Fri Nov 19, 2021 9:40 pm

Route description: Cranstackie and Beinn Spionnaidh

Corbetts included on this walk: Beinn Spionnaidh, Cranstackie

Date walked: 26/05/2021

6 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

The drive to Durness has always filled me with excitement. Its such a far flung village and the drive, specially from Inchnadampf up north is simply stunning. The single track road which marks the end of the journey was always filled with excitement to finally reach the top of Scotland, so not paying much attention to the hills might on the right might be excused.

P1530182.JPG
The road up north

During a trip in May I looked at the map to find some suitable hills I noticed Cranstackie and Beinn Spionnaidh on the map.

Researching both hills I came across the fact that Beinn Spionnaidh is not only the furthest Corbett up north, but also the highest peak over 2500 feet. Together with the fact that the views must be amazing and a few good days were on the forecast our next outing was planned.

P1530180.JPG
The hills from the road

It was a gorgeous day when we parked at the small lay-by. The path towards the farm was a gentle walk in and by the time we started climbing up hill, the sun was beating down and we were sweating buckets. The steep rocky path soon frizzled out and was replaced by a long slog up a grassy slope. A respite was given when we reached the flattish area close to Calbhach Coire. Also a great place to camp I thought , while we walked towards the steep cliffs ahead. The walk up towards the bealach looked impressive but at the end wasn't as bad as it had looked.

P1530185.JPG
The start of the walk with lovely views towards Arcle

P1530190.JPG
The farm and road in the distance when the climb starts

P1530199.JPG
Calbhach Coire after the first climb...great place for a wild camp too

The path followed a burn and on hindsight I really should have filled up my water bottle before we reached the top, as we did not cross another water source later on. It was a steep climb, but the views back gave plenty of excused to stop (or take a breather) Once we reached the bealach between the two Corbetts (a rather damp and soggy spot) we found a dry area and had something to eat. Views towards Loch Eriboll could be enjoyed and a small breeze brought some relieve from the hot sun.

P1530203.JPG
Near the bealach

P1530210.JPG
The bealach

Once we had packed up and started our journey up Cranstackie it became apparent what made these 2 Corbetts quite difficult...large boulder fields! Balancing amongst these rocks, made the climb not any faster and once we reached the top, the large boulder field continued until we finally reached the summit cairn. Its the time when you start wishing for solid frozen snow!

P1530211.JPG
View towards Beinn Spionnaidh

P1530225.JPG
Kevin balancing the boulder field

The effort was however rewarded with lovely views towards Arkle and Foinhaven and out in the north west, I could make out Sandwood Bay, Kinlochbervie and Oldshoremore.

P1530217.JPG
Durness and the fantastic dunes in the distance

P1530218.JPG
Out towards the west

P1530237.JPG
Me at the summit

Towards the north Beinn Spionnaidh framed the fantstic views towards the Kyle of Durness and mighty Atlantic. We stayed for a long time, there was no rush but the view towards the boulder field brought us back to reality. We had to return the way we came.

P1530241.JPG
The walk towards Beinn Spionnaidh

Back down to the bealach, the walk up Beinn Spionnaidh had looked daunting, but is was far easier than I had expected. Believing (or mayby wishful thinking) that the summit would be a lovely grassy top was soon shattered . Another large (even larger?) boulder fields greeted us and the painful navigation from one boulder to the the next started. A relaxing walk to enjoy views wasn't possible, unless one stood still.

P1530246.JPG
The boulders started again with the view back towards

P1530254.JPG
Endless summit

However the views from Beinn Spionnaidh were out of this world.
The feeling and knowledge that you are standing at the highest point of mainland Scotland is not just a fact, but you can feel and see it. The Atlantic fills the horizon, the sea cliffs right next to Loch Eribil can clearly be seen. The dunes at Balnakeil, the small islands just off the mainland and the endless sky in the distance. I could not stop taking pictures, I just wanted to bottle this memory forever..this was truly spectacular!

P1530260.JPG
The top of Scotland

P1530262.JPG
Panoramic views

P1530265.JPG
Towards Loch Eribol

I walked along the summit...not caring about boulders just taking in the views. Looking across Loch Eribol, Ben Hope and Ben Loyal filled the landscape and brought back happy memories. Looking back Cranstakie rose above the waterfilled landscape, but my views kept up darting north.

P1530268.JPG
More views

P1530281.JPG

After what felt like hours we dragged ourself away and we made the return journey. Once passed the boulders which were incredibly unstable and wobbly, the walk down was a knee killer. Steep, torturous and far longer than we had anticipated. Needless to say reaching the farm and a proper path again was a relief . Before we continued back to the car, we stopped at a low burn and put our feet into it....the relief was amazing!

P1530282.JPG
The way back down

P1530285.JPG
View towards Cranstackie again

P1530296.JPG
Welcome sight of the farmhouse

P1530300.JPG
Looking back towards the hills

Refreshed we continued along the path back to the car. Sunburned, knackered, rather thirsty , but what a pair of hills!

P1530339.JPG
The road back home
Mountainlove
Munro compleatist

Munros:88   Corbetts:54
Fionas:7   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:3   
Islands:10

Re: On top of the far north- Cranstackie and Beinn Spionnaid

Postby scottnairn » Sat Nov 20, 2021 12:20 pm

Cracking photos and report - I haven't made it further north than one visit to Ben Klibreck this year but I feel the same driving to the 'Far North' - it is so different and exciting compared to the expectation of driving elsewhere!

Missing the sun, settled weather (and even the boulder fields a little bit) :D - all the best! 8)
scottnairn
Mountain Walker

Munros:123   Corbetts:42
Fionas:17   
Sub 2000:14   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:1   Islands:3

Postby Mountainlove » Sat Nov 20, 2021 1:26 pm

scottnairn wrote:Cracking photos and report - I haven't made it further north than one visit to Ben Klibreck this year but I feel the same driving to the 'Far North' - it is so different and exciting compared to the expectation of driving elsewhere!

Missing the sun, settled weather (and even the boulder fields a little bit) :D - all the best! 8)

Many thanks :D totally agree with missing the settled weather. Ben Klibreck is a lovely hill too, remember it fondly. Just not sure if I would ever miss boulder fields :lol:
Mountainlove
Munro compleatist

Postby PeteR » Sat Nov 20, 2021 5:03 pm

This certainly is a stunning part of the country. And you certainly got the best of it, despite the heat.......my visit to these two was a walkhighlands Spring Meet a few years back and I'm sure we had snow at one point (having had wall to wall sunshine the day before on Arkle) :lol:

Definitely need to get my finger out and get myself back up this way soon........been too long.
PeteR
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:173
Fionas:121   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:200   Hewitts:3
Islands:9

Postby Mountainlove » Sat Nov 20, 2021 9:43 pm

PeteR wrote:This certainly is a stunning part of the country. And you certainly got the best of it, despite the heat.......my visit to these two was a walkhighlands Spring Meet a few years back and I'm sure we had snow at one point (having had wall to wall sunshine the day before on Arkle) :lol:

Definitely need to get my finger out and get myself back up this way soon........been too long.

Totally agree. Already thinking about my next trip in 2022. Closer to Durness is a smaller hill which looks really promising too! Roll on spring!
Mountainlove
Munro compleatist

Postby al78 » Sun Nov 21, 2021 7:42 pm

Superb pictures. I've done these as part of a walking holiday but the weather was overcast and rainy so I only got fleeting glimpses of the nearby terrain. If you can get up a hill in Sutherland in sunshine the views are fantastic, largely thanks to many of the higher hills being isolated summits.
al78
Walker

Munros:32   Corbetts:9
Donalds:1

Postby Mountainlove » Mon Nov 22, 2021 10:06 pm

al78 wrote:Superb pictures. I've done these as part of a walking holiday but the weather was overcast and rainy so I only got fleeting glimpses of the nearby terrain. If you can get up a hill in Sutherland in sunshine the views are fantastic, largely thanks to many of the higher hills being isolated summits.

Many thanks! If possible I try to avoid climbing hills in bad weather when I am in the far north west.. Simply because the views are so amazing... Does not always work, but worth a try anyway :D
Mountainlove
Munro compleatist

6 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland