walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Cairn-Mon-Earn

Cairn-Mon-Earn

Postby sketch » Fri Apr 08, 2011 6:01 pm

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Cairn-mon-earn

Date walked: 08/04/2011

Time taken: 2.1 hours

Distance: 8.15 km

Ascent: 283m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Starting at the car park which is suitable for half a dozen cars
IMG_0111.JPG
Car Park
I headed up the track with my dog Bonnie and it wasn't long before we reached the woods
IMG_0112.JPG
Heading into the wood
Bonnie my Golden Retriever just loves water and it was not long before she found some, All I heard was Splash and she was in there
IMG_0114.JPG
Bonnie found 1st watery hole
continuing up the track through the woods which was being cleared and there was a lot of dead areas but also a lot of freshly planted areas, the track itself was in great condition
IMG_0120.JPG
Track in excellent condition
after a few more puddles etc Bonnie surprised me by finding lovely clean grass, and proceeded to clean herself by rolling in it
IMG_0124.JPG
Bonnie found clean grass for a change
, and it wasn't lang before Bonnie found more mucky water and after the next splash she did not look to Bonnie anymore
IMG_0133.JPG
Golden retriver, don't think so !!
, after walking for just over an hour The masts came into view on the final ascent,
IMG_0146.JPG
First sign of masts
when we reached the top around the masts the views were excellent, I could see as far as Northfield Mast, not very clearly but still visable with the naked eye, from the area around the masts it was only a hundred yards to the Cairn
IMG_0150.JPG
Looking across at the cairn
once we made it across to the cairn a few more pictures were taken, and a good view over Banchory and the Durris mast
IMG_0151.JPG
Looking across at Durris mast
IMG_0153.JPG
Looking over Banchory
, so that's it we are at the top and a Bench perfect for taking that well deserved rest, a qick brew, a few photo's and give Bonnie her treats, today was a little windy so only stayed at the top for around ten minutes, then to leave the comfy bench behind
IMG_0169.JPG
The Cairn along with bench
and 45 minutes later and we were back at the car, so all in all a great little walk when you have a couple of hours to pass
Attachments

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

IMG_0163.JPG
Looking back from the cairn
IMG_0140.JPG
Dense wood
IMG_0129.JPG
Bonnie found more mucky water as usual
Last edited by sketch on Thu Apr 14, 2011 9:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sketch
Mountaineer

Munros:19   Corbetts:1
Sub 2000:4   Hewitts:2

Re: Cairn-Mon-Earn

Postby ChrisW » Fri Apr 08, 2011 9:41 pm

Nice one sketch, did this just a couple of weeks ago and took a lot of my photos from very similar spots as you, saw a newt in that first puddle that bonnie jumped in :D
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Re: Cairn-Mon-Earn

Postby sketch » Fri Apr 08, 2011 9:58 pm

ChrisW wrote:Nice one sketch, did this just a couple of weeks ago and took a lot of my photos from very similar spots as you, saw a newt in that first puddle that bonnie jumped in :D

Hi ChrisW, The newt had gone when I got to it maybe Bonnies fault lol, I enjoyed the walk, not too heavy at all and nice scenery at the top, I was almost tempted to take a short cut on the way dow, especially when I could see the track so close, but I stuck with it and did the whole 5 miles,
Cheers Martin (sketch)
sketch
Mountaineer

Munros:19   Corbetts:1
Sub 2000:4   Hewitts:2

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland