walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Birnam Hill circuit

Birnam Hill circuit

Postby U059361 » Fri Apr 08, 2011 7:11 pm

Route description: Birnam Hill, Birnam

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Birnam Hill - King's Seat

Date walked: 08/04/2011

Time taken: 3.5 hours

Distance: 6 km

Ascent: 420m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

This walk follows the route as described in WH parking at Quarry car park and through gate and under railway up to the sign pointing to Birnam Hill. The route from here most of the way up has been developed and surfaced to a path 6 feet wide making it a very well made path.
We took the diversion to the Stair bridge viewpoint where we had elevenses.
P4082093.JPG
View from parapet of Stair bridge

P4082095.JPG
Stair bridge itself, quite a size for a construction high up a hillside.

The path continues up to the steep climb up the shoulder of the hill, where a wooden staircase takes you up the steepest part.
P4082097.JPG
The path and staircase up shoulder of hill.

P4082100.JPG
View south from top of staircase.

Only then do you walk on a worn path to the top.
Great views all round on way up, south to Perth, Lomond Hills and Ochils, etc. At top, Up Strath Braan, Dunkeld, Tay, Cairngorms.
P4082102.JPG
Path signs at the top

Had lunch at top then made our way back down. Top half has not been touched yet by the improvers except for a small section. Walking through woods now, conifer then deciduous. Stopped at the crag to enjoy the view before continuing down. Then the new path is reached, this zig zags down the slope and has not been surfaced like the ascend.
P4082108.JPG
View from the crag overlooking Dunkeld.

P4082110.JPG
The made path on the bottom part of descent.

At the bottom, plenty of signs to keep you right, keep to the right. Once out of the village and off the road, it is a worn path through the trees and a slow climb to the edge of the quarry. You can see it off to the right. The quarry carpark can be seen ahead. the path descends to the railway and the start of the walk.
A lovely day, a nice walk, saw quite a few people going round, some did not like the improvements to the paths. It did make it feel like a walk in the park in parts.
U059361
Rambler

Munros:101   Corbetts:34
Grahams:20   Donalds:27
Sub 2000:40   Hewitts:5

Re: Birnam Hill circuit

Postby ChrisW » Fri Apr 08, 2011 9:44 pm

Looks like a nice little wander but I'm not sure about the wooden staircase, might feel a bit too artificial :D
ChrisW
Scrambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Grahams:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby awalker » Sat Apr 09, 2011 9:02 pm

Good to read a report about this classic little hill which holds a lot very dear memories for me, most weekends would see me hitting the road with my old and battered 10 speed road bike, a favourite destination for me were the hills around Dunkeld and the finest being Kings seat or Birnam Hill, so off I would set and cycle the 8miles or so form Stanley to Dunkeld and climb Kings seat, pushing my bike to the summit and back down, on a regular basis but alas all this abuse to my long suffering bike was to much and some were on the way down from the top the cotter pin which holds the crank and pedal onto the bottom bracket axle decided it had had enough and parted company with the bike!, boy did it take a long time to get home on a bike with one pedal but I did have a great story to tell all my class mates on Monday!! :D
awalker
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:1
Sub 2000:21   

Postby U059361 » Sun Apr 10, 2011 9:22 pm

Well, there were a few tire tracks on the new paths both sides of the hill and quite a few skid marks as well. The new paths make great bike trails but good brakes would be needed.
As for the staircase, would probably make it even harder to get up with a bike :D
U059361
Rambler

Munros:101   Corbetts:34
Grahams:20   Donalds:27
Sub 2000:40   Hewitts:5

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Walkhighlands community forum is now advert free

We need help to keep the site online.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by setting up a monthly donation by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland