walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Turning a New Leaf

Turning a New Leaf

Postby aaquater » Sun Nov 21, 2021 8:28 pm

Corbetts included on this walk: Ben Vrackie

Date walked: 19/06/2017

Time taken: 6.5 hours

Distance: 25.7 km

Ascent: 1174m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

132446.jpg
Or my first proper Scottish hillwalk, I guess I could call it, and thank my boss for prompting me to actually go out and do it. Not having any maps (I only bought them after I returned from this walk), I read up on several official routes and joined together several that were meant to have paths throughout. First, I headed up Ben Vrackie, which I spotted looming over the lochan below.
135401.jpg
The look back to Pitlochry makes the sudden steep drop obvious, but walking it, it was a good path I had no trouble with.
135419.jpg
Beinn a' Ghlo as a more prominent, more 'glorified' target on the horizon. Some day, though not yet; I first needed to get the hang of getting around Scotland.
155052.jpg
I got down to the lochan but turned right and descended down the zig-zagging track all the way to the Garry and Soldier's Leap. This looks back down the Garry towards the Killiecrankie Viaduct. Following the river, it was a pleasant return to Pitlochry.
174951.jpg
But I wasn't done yet. Another short official route brought me to the Black Spout waterfall and back. Admittedly, though, I made a wrong turn and walked a part of the route backwards, so I traced an 8 and not a 0. But I found my way back to the village and could officially say that I was hooked. If we're being extra dramatic, a new chapter of my life had begun.
aaquater

Munros:74   Corbetts:37
Fionas:40   Donalds:23+12
Sub 2000:52   Hewitts:18

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland