walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

My First Taste of Deeside

My First Taste of Deeside

Postby aaquater » Sun Nov 21, 2021 8:58 pm

Corbetts included on this walk: Morrone

Date walked: 03/07/2017

Time taken: 6 hours

Distance: 22.7 km

Ascent: 1057m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

130003.jpg
Another official route I followed. Deeside looked so close yet so far as no buses reached it from the S - but I found a way of getting in from the E that worked well, so I jumped on the bus. From Braemar, climbing up Morrone was simple with the aid of the path. I have to say, the summit area looked a little underwhelmingly flat, though the one hill I could compare it to was Ben Vrackie. Now I know better and consider Ben Vrackie to be a little bit of an outlier in its prominence - at least in this part of the country. :D
130047.jpg
The Cairnwell / Glas Tulaichean group of Munros further S. At the moment, I could only salivate and dream about getting up there. But we all have to start somewhere, don't we?
134547.jpg
Descending down the track, I decided to be a bit daring and leave it for a while to ascend Carn na Drochaide. Of course, no advanced navigation was needed for that. But it still gave me a warm feeling of pride that I decided to make this trip, without any outside interference, and carried it out on my own. I got to see the (future) fauna of Carn na Drochaide in the process, too.
150542.jpg
'The highest 18-hole golf course in the UK' was the sign I found on the way back to Braemar along the tarmac road. Fortunately, even though the golf course spanned both sides of the road, I was the sole traffic there, at least at the moment.
171852.jpg
Deciding to go for another short walk, I then headed up Creag Choinnich - once again as the official route suggested. A nice extension to the previous walk, and one of a different nature as this little hill was almost fully forested. Up top, though, views back to Braemar and Morrone opened up.
aaquater

Munros:74   Corbetts:37
Fionas:40   Donalds:23+12
Sub 2000:50   Hewitts:18

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland