walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Munro Two Hundred and Eighteen

Munro Two Hundred and Eighteen

Postby Chris Henshall » Tue Nov 23, 2021 9:44 am

Route description: Lochnagar circuit, Glen Muick

Munros included on this walk: Lochnagar

Date walked: 16/11/2021

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Tuesday, 16th. November, 2021:
Despite having done quite a bit of winter climbing on Lochnagar in the late 1980s - Eagle Ridge, Parallel Gully, Raeburn's Gully, Tough-Brown Traverse, etc. - I had never been to the actual summit of the hill so it was about time...
I actually had my eye on doing the round of five Munros at the head of the glen so, accordingly, I left the car park in Glen Muick soon after 7.30.am. and headed across the wide strath towards Alltnaguibhsaich Lodge. The early signs were good with some gaps in the cloud and a pink dawn coming up behind me - but the wind barrelling down the glen was very strong and, despite a brief clearing, the summit ridge around Cuidhe Crom was soon obscured by cloud.
I tried to ignore it and plodded steadily upwards but, once on the ridge above the Meikle Pap, things were getting quite unpleasant and I had to duck into the top of one of the gullies to get out of the wind and layer up; it had been a while since I'd donned my Dachstein mitts! I managed to get to the highest outcrop and its cairn before 10.00.am. but, although further progress would have been possible, it would not have been fun. Standing up was just about alright but walking in a straight line wasn't... so, having played this game before, I turned tail and headed down; the hills will still be there on another (sunny) day!
Summit of Lochnagar.jpg
A blurred image of the cairn and the granite outcrop on the summit (16.11.2021.)

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Next Report: https://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=109352.
Chris Henshall
Mountaineer

Munros:253   
Hewitts:157
Wainwrights:214   

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland