walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Leisurely Day on Bonnie Ben Venue

Leisurely Day on Bonnie Ben Venue

Postby WeeHills » Tue Nov 23, 2021 10:49 pm

Route description: Ben Venue from Loch Achray

Fionas included on this walk: Ben Venue

Date walked: 21/11/2021

Time taken: 5.5 hours

Distance: 14 km

Ascent: 725m

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

It is late in November and the first hints of winter are forecast, cold, clear, below freezing on the hills, wind chill down to minus double figures on the higher tops. Yeah, I'm not ready for that particular shock to the system, nor minded to anything strenuous, something lower for a leisurely Sunday stroll is in order. Ben Venue springs to mind, always did have a soft spot for this wee hill and these days there's a well made path most of the way so it's an ideal fit for a lazy day.

So it's another out before sunrise morning, chasing daylight east to the bridge then wending my way northwards and having a momentary panic when a 'road closed ahead' sign appears as I pootle up the A809. Fortunately it turns out the road is closed after the Kilearn turn off and no diversion is required. Of course a sensible person might have checked for road closures before leaving the house, but I have never claimed to be sensible.

Soon enough I reach Aberfoyle and the joyously twisty road over Duke's Pass. One reason, perhaps the reason, for favouring Ben Venue is it gives me an excuse to drive this road. Forget the walk, the drive makes the effort of dragging oneself out of bed in the dark on a frosty Sunday worthwhile. Hardly another vehicle to be seen along the glorious, hairpin laden up and over and down the other side amid sumptuous scenery in the low early sun. Driving heaven.

I digress. Upon arrival there are a few other cars parked up, but it isn't busy and there is not another soul around as I set off through the trees, a nice gentle amble with fine views back to Ben A'an and ahead to bonnie Ben Venue to warm up. Then along the road beside Achray Water, a raging torrent today, and over the bridge into the forest. The path is well maintained and well signposted, it isn't really possible to go wrong, but it is dark in the pine trees, a little claustrophobic, and I'm not sorry to leave them behind.

IMG_6449.JPG
Ben Venue ahead in the morning sun

IMG_6452.JPG
Ben A'an

IMG_6470.JPG
Foaming waters of the Achray

IMG_6460.JPG
Towards Ben Venue from the bridge over Achray Water

IMG_6711.JPG
Through the pine forest

The trees thin then disappear as the path climbs gently through a previously felled now replanted with saplings area, the baby replacements hiding away yet in their protective tubes. The sun is shining, the air still as easy progress is made along the northern side of Gleann Riabhach. After a while the falls at the head of the glen come into view along with the first signs of humanity, three gents ahead of me plodding steadily up the steepening path on to the more open slopes above. I pause near the waterfall for a brew before following in their footsteps, enjoying the relative warmth the shelter of the glen provides.

IMG_6481.JPG
New saplings amid felled conifers

IMG_6498.JPG
Pausing for coffee by the falls

Caffeine levels restored It is time to tackle the first steeper section, beginning my way up the stoney staircase. Then comes a hint of bog, a bit of a scramble, nothing too taxing and onto flatter ground. The path remains mostly straightforward, though there is one boggy section to negotiate, and no great effort is required. The sun continues to shine, the route still sheltered from the wind, the walking relaxed and soon the oversize cairn marking the meeting with the path in from Ledard Farm is reached.

IMG_6514.JPG
Stone staircase eases upward passage

IMG_6527.JPG
Enormous cairn marks meeting of paths from Loch Achray and Ledard Farm

IMG_6534.JPG
Braided pathways

Beyond the cairn the route turns right briefly becoming a jumble of braided pathways before resolving once again into easy and obvious track. This is a delightful dauner undulating towards the bealach. Any steep ups are short lived, any rocky scrambles minor and simple to negotiate. The ups are interspersed with downs, slight bogs in the dips before the next short section of ascent. As height is gained the chill wind starts to catch me, layers go on, but nothing like the bitter blasts promised on the higher hills. Views open up, surrounding hills looking fine in their autumn garb, the sun shines amongst whispy clouds, it is a leisurely and thoroughly lovely stroll.

From the bealach between Ben Venue's twin tops I select the more obvious right-hand path to the fractured trig over-looking Lochs Achray and Venachar. The view is magnificent on this clear, crisp morning, the lowlands stretching eastwards beyond the lochs, the Ochils clearly visible in the distance. I find a sheltered spot to soak it in, enjoy a coffee, ponder the twisted metal pole that in poorer conditions might be rightfully questioning the wisdom of anyone being here. No questions required today, obviously we have come to admire this fine land of ours from this splendid spot on this glorious day. Several others are enjoying this summit, and why not, but I prefer a bit of solitude so don't stop for long before heading back to the bealach and up to the other, higher top.

IMG_6569.JPG
Trig remnants

IMG_6547.JPG
Lochs Achray and Venachar from the eastern top trig point, Ben Ledi looking fine to their north

IMG_6552.JPG
South to Ben Lomond from the trig

IMG_6599.JPG
Northern views from the eastern top over Loch Katrine, the true summit on the left

IMG_6560.JPG
No questioning of wisdom required on such a fine day

The north western top of Ben Venue is, in fact, the summit yet the path to it from the bealach is less defined than that to its eastern twin for reasons that are unclear to me. It is true that the trig top is craggier and perhaps more dramatic in itself but the actual summit boasts the better views in my (entirely biased) opinion. The saunter from one top to other is another gentle jaunt and this time when the cairn comes into sight there are no other hominids to be seen. Perhaps because this one is feeling the full force of the northerly wind. The vista more than makes up for the icy blast however and there is ample shelter to hunker down in just below the cairn to enjoy a leisurely picnic.

Views west along Loch Katrine are sumptuous, Loch Arklet nestled next door. A plethora of Southern Highland mountains, far too many to mention fill my vision. To the south Ben Lomond dominates, looking simply magnificent, though I remain of the view he looks best from my normal southerly perspective. Either way he is stunning. I relax for some time, refuelling, admiring the scene, enjoying the early winter sun after what has been a rather gentle amble. Ben Venue really is a charmingly straightforward hill.

IMG_6646.JPG
Summit cairn

IMG_6651.JPG
Back towards the eastern top from the summit

IMG_6631.JPG
Westward over Loch Katrine, too many hills to mention

IMG_6629.JPG
Loch Arklet and Arrochar hills, can't mistake The Cobbler

IMG_6638.JPG
Ben Lomond dominates to the south, pictured over Beinn Bhreac

After a peaceable half hour or so the inevitable happens and I hear voices approaching. It is too nice a day to have the summit to myself for long. Possibly no bad thing as I need an incentive to drag myself away. So it's pack up and start down. The descent down the same easy gradient makes for swift progress. No knee-jarring steepness or much need for caution. Before long I am back at the large cairn, enjoying a last view of hills to the south and turning left back towards the bog, the glen and the forest. Which frankly can't come soon enough as my bladder is bursting and I am passing a steady stream of people headed up. I do what I never do and break into a jog, the path being that good, the angle that gentle that I feel safe doing so. Usually I save my running for the nice flat coastal path back home but desperate times and all that.

IMG_6695.JPG
Heading down, a last view of Ben Lomond and the Arrochar Hills

IMG_6700.JPG
Back across the bog on the descent

IMG_6702.JPG
And back through the forest, afternoon sun keeking through the trees

Tree line reached and relief found I slow the pace once more. In the afternoon light the forest seems lusher, greener and feels less enclosed. It's really quite pleasant though I remain unconvinced of woodland pleasures, give me wide open spaces any day. Once back across the river and along the road I select the opposite half of the loop back through the woods to the car park, the only slight variation on the straight out and back route for today.

It has been a nice lazy one in lovely conditions. Hardly even broke a sweat. Plus there's the added bonus of the return drive over Duke's Pass to look forward to. Can't recommend it enough, bonnie Ben Venue and Duke's Pass both.
WeeHills

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland