walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

A bright and chilly November for Ime and Narnain

A bright and chilly November for Ime and Narnain

Postby Sspaterson » Wed Nov 24, 2021 4:56 pm

Route description: Beinn Narnain and Beinn Ìme

Munros included on this walk: Beinn Ìme, Beinn Narnain

Date walked: 21/11/2021

Time taken: 6.15 hours

Distance: 13.5 km

Ascent: 1356m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Arrived late on the Saturday night and parked in Succoth car park, and slept in van. Could not see the logic in parking elsewhere to drive half a mile in the morning. We weren't the only ones. I was up at 0650 and it was still pitch dark as I was paying the £9 to park from 9-6pm for the Sunday. Did get to watch the moon set over the hills in one direction and the sunrise over Ben Lomond in the other.

IMG_5521.jpeg
Moonset

IMG_5522.jpeg
Sunrise

After breakfast we headed off almost missing the quick turn up the old hydro blocks. This was steep, muddy and relentless, like walking through a mountain stream for most of it. Was good to hit the track and get better views as we plodded up higher from this sea level start.

IMG_5525.jpeg
The aptly named Long Long

IMG_5526.jpeg
First keek of the Cobbler

It was one of those sublime days, we could even see Ailsa Craig way in the distance. The wind was forecast to be very strong with a windchill of -15C so I had on my winter breeks. I was beginning to wonder if this was a bit overkill as it was completely still and sheltered on the way up. Just as I thought I might drown in the sweat we crested a bit of a crag and the wind picked up good style - it was baltic.

IMG_5527.jpeg
Onwards to Narnain

The Arrochar alps are steep wee critters and my calves were soon protesting, but the views were terrific. Was nice to be doing a wee bit scrambling again too. Once we got above a certain height, the moisture on the path was icy so we took great care to avoid. It won't be long before the ironmongery is required.

IMG_5530.jpeg
Blue skies and sunshine

Got to the top in just over two hours but didn't hang about too long as the wind was indeed fierce. Descent was on a nice staircase of a reconstructed path all the way to where it met the main path. The plod up Beinn Ime was long but easy enough. New deer fences in place. The wind was even fiercer up here and there was definitely no hanging about. A quick touch of the topmost cairn in a crouching position so as not to be blown over and we headed off to a sheltered bit to scoff our piece and flapjacks.

IMG_5531.jpeg
It's freeeeeeeeeeeezing on Beinn Narnain

IMG_5532.jpeg
Onwards to Ime

IMG_5533.jpeg
Hubby bracing himself against the wind.

The rest of the walk back was lovely. We had contemplated doing the Cobbler too but the path at the rear was in shade all day and very steep so gave it a miss for fear of ice and a longing to be back at the van for a cuppa and a drive home in daylight. Best decision as we were both quite weary and the crags of the Cobbler are probably best enjoyed on a stand alone basis. It does look quite magnificent though. I'd done it before in mist so couldn't quite appreciate all it's nooks and crannies.

IMG_5537.jpeg
Ben Lomond

IMG_5540.jpeg
Boulders but not the Narnain ones as I first thought - cold in shade

Got back to van at 1430, kettle on and a cracking view. What a grand wee day out to take me to Munro no. 155.

IMG_5544.jpeg
A whistling kettle with a view
Sspaterson

Munros:207   Corbetts:13
Fionas:4   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:12   
Islands:38

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland