walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Black Hill and Dunnottar Castle

Black Hill and Dunnottar Castle

Postby litljortindan » Wed Nov 24, 2021 7:36 pm

Route description: Dunnottar Castle, from Stonehaven

Date walked: 23/11/2021

Time taken: 1.5 hours

Distance: 3 km

Ascent: 100m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Weather forecast pointed me in a southerly direction. Been to Dunnottar Castle many times but always with company so never really taking time to explore views of the castle. I thought too that a dawn walk would compensate for the over familiarity of the setting. Plus, if I added in a diversion to Black Hill I would at least have stretched my legs a little bit.
Things have changed since my last visit -a new car park layout and a closed road i.e. no onwards access to Stonehaven or any other parking spot. So that at least decided the route for me. I had considered a longer walk to maybe go as far south as Crawton but ChrisW's report of rabbit holes and overgrowth put me off.

You've probably seen Dunnottar Castle photos lots of times but maybe not so many pre-dawn!

Not much to see in the semi-dark but I've got quite fond of pre-dawn light.

Plan is to head north on the path marked by this post and then double back from Black Hill in time for sunrise.

Plenty of coastal scenery to admire in the meantime.

Looking back at the castle I guess I'm not going to get as spectacular a sunrise as I did at St Combs.

Easy path makes for fast going, even for me.

Looking back at the castle again.

In terms of views it's either look north or south.

Maybe not as impressive sideways on but still quite striking.

At last, a views east!

Information board about the war memorial on Black Hill. Just a few metres up to the memorial.

View north east.

Hurrying back to the castle for sunrise.

Lots of extra danger signs up since I was last here so can't peek through the hole in the wall.

Tilt the camera the right way and the exposure or contrast stretch alters.

You can just make out the two points where you used to be able to get down to the bay.

Attachments

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

litljortindan
Ambler

Munros:153   Corbetts:67
Fionas:29   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:47   Hewitts:12
Wainwrights:10   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland