walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Ben Vorlich (Loch Earn)

Ben Vorlich (Loch Earn)

Postby bobsmart71 » Thu Nov 25, 2021 12:38 am

Route description: Ben Vorlich and Stùc a' Chròin

Munros included on this walk: Ben Vorlich (Loch Earn), Stùc a' Chròin

Date walked: 24/11/2021

Time taken: 4 hours

5 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I had fancied trying a Munro in the snow, with the Met Office promising a load of the white stuff to be dumped on Vorlich, I arranged a day off and set off to Ben Vorlich at Loch Earn, which is one of the closest Munro’s to me in Fife.
The Met Office got it wrong though, and the day looked as good as you could hope for in Scotland at the end of November.
This walk gets pretty steep from the beginning, but with this being the first Munro that I’d done by myself, I was able to set a pace that suited my slightly heavier frame 😄.
It got windier as the climb progressed, with a reported 38mph gusts, but it remained dry for all of the assent.
With the snow not making an appearance, I had a choice to make, should I try my first scramble on the neighbouring Stuc a’ Chroin?…I decided that I should, but unfortunately on the way down from the summit of Vorlich, I sliid on the notorious boggy section and twisted my knee.
I was wary of the scramble when I was 100%, but with a limp I decided that I should use my head for once and leave Stuc a’ Chroin for another day….it’ll still be there😄👍.
I can’t emphasise how boggy the boggy section actually is on this walk…your waterproof boots need to be up to the job.
Knee aside, this was a really enjoyable walk, with stunning views…
Attachments
003E4ADB-B8E6-436F-AA09-43D0E98AC793.jpeg
Maybe next time…
95771000-64DB-49F2-BCEF-AAC348DB68E5.jpeg
Stuc a’ Chroin
D1390124-BB54-4757-97C4-12937DE70435.jpeg
What views…
25DDCFAA-7DA6-47DC-BF64-97ED324EAEDA.jpeg
Made it :)
30594489-691B-4FC2-B5FB-24EAA55CC469.jpeg
Summit only meters away…
7EFF3522-DF83-4F29-99AD-585FBC3214C2.jpeg
Getting closer…
BAE73D4B-358F-4783-A27B-B82EB71A3752.jpeg
Getting there…
bobsmart71
Walker

Munros:10   
Sub 2000:3   
Islands:3

Re: Ben Vorlich (Loch Earn)

Postby The English Alpinist » Thu Nov 25, 2021 6:12 pm

I can relate to everything in your report! i'm considering these two as my first winter expedition this year. Lately I've had miserable experiences with bogs and boots that can't keep them out (despite being good boots). Never mind Stuc a Chroin, any Munro you return from safely is a success. An injury is precisely the thing that scares me most about solo walking, especially in winter, if we were to get truly incapacatated it would be very cold and lonely up there. Sensible decisions make us good mountaineers (I hope).
The English Alpinist
Mountain Walker

Munros:56   Corbetts:11
Fionas:22   Donalds:18+10
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:136
Wainwrights:214   

Re: Ben Vorlich (Loch Earn)

Postby HalfManHalfTitanium » Thu Nov 25, 2021 7:02 pm

The English Alpinist wrote:I can relate to everything in your report! i'm considering these two as my first winter expedition this year. Lately I've had miserable experiences with bogs and boots that can't keep them out (despite being good boots). Never mind Stuc a Chroin, any Munro you return from safely is a success. An injury is precisely the thing that scares me most about solo walking, especially in winter, if we were to get truly incapacatated it would be very cold and lonely up there. Sensible decisions make us good mountaineers (I hope).

I too found Ben Vorlich to be a slippery customer, and in thick clag, I decided to omit Stuc a'Chroin. That was many years ago, and I think the path has become more eroded and probably boggier since my visit. BV is in a list on WH of 10 easier Munros, but personally I could name many others that I've found a lot easier!

Tim
HalfManHalfTitanium
Mountain Walker

Munros:119   Corbetts:28
Fionas:6   Donalds:6
Hewitts:152
Wainwrights:103   

5 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland