walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Another wander around Abriachan

Another wander around Abriachan

Postby Jaxter » Fri Nov 26, 2021 3:02 pm

Date walked: 26/09/2021

Time taken: 1.45 hours

Distance: 5.05 km

Ascent: 147m

5 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Another short stroll that we thought would be a good idea (that in hindsight probably wasn't) - we drove to the top car park at Abriachan to avoid as much ascent as possible and set off along the easy track

I think these see-saws were designed for mountain bikers but they were quite amusing to walk over

Through the trees we could see some hills - I think this is Carn a' Bhodaich

People and a tee-pee (we stayed away - eww people :shock: )

Before long we were away from the busier areas and onto a smaller path that started climbing gently-ish (I thought the whole point of the walk was to avoid ascent, but :crazy: )

We started to clear the top of the trees and get some more views

Showers travelling along the Beauly firth towards Inverness - normally we would be happy that they were avoiding us, but unfortunately Malky had left the washing out in the garden :lol:

Rainbow ahead!

Think this might be the Strathfarrar hills in the sun

Once out in the open the path improved and flattened out to lead us to a weird load of decorated wooden stakes. Several were standing but there were also a few lying on the ground, victims of wind probably

It was a short distance to the actual summit of Carn na LeitreImage

Looking back - the silhouette of Meall Fuar-Mhonaidh very prominent

Loch Ness just visible with the Strathnairn marilyns appearing behind

Not my finest effort :lol:

I was really tired so we had a good sit down - there was shelter available behind the cairn fortunately. We had thought to extend the walk but decided against it. I did fall for Malky's "well if we go a different way it's not any longer" spiel yet again though :roll:

Lovely views (possibly Strathfarrar direction)

After a good long break I felt a little better

We took a smaller path off which led us around the back of the hill

There were lots of wood carvings - we wandered if this was a word search

We soon dropped onto the Great Glen Way. It wasn't a difficult walk back to the car but I was pretty knackered

The pretty birds signalled the car was near...

Back at the car park all the people had gone, so I had a nice relaxing lie down on the big swing (until Malky started pushing it too hard :roll: ) and we went home for a nap.
Attachments

activity_7558713261.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Jaxter
Wanderer

Munros:217   Corbetts:139
Fionas:90   Donalds:49+13
Sub 2000:129   Hewitts:69
Wainwrights:81   Islands:35

Re: Another wander around Abriachan

Postby BlackPanther » Mon Nov 29, 2021 1:44 pm

I love the Abriachan trails :D A playground for adults (and panthers).

If continuing down the path east from the summit, there was a set of carved poles to climb (not sure they are still there). I remember Kevin practicing his scrambling moves on them:
abriachan 116.JPG

:lol: :lol: :lol:
BlackPanther
Mountain Walker

Munros:268   Corbetts:182
Fionas:136   
Sub 2000:75   

Re: Another wander around Abriachan

Postby Jaxter » Mon Dec 06, 2021 3:41 pm

BlackPanther wrote:I love the Abriachan trails :D A playground for adults (and panthers).

If continuing down the path east from the summit, there was a set of carved poles to climb (not sure they are still there). I remember Kevin practicing his scrambling moves on them:
abriachan 116.JPG

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Oh wow that's brave!! I think those posts may be more stable than the ones we saw :lol:
Jaxter
Wanderer

Munros:217   Corbetts:139
Fionas:90   Donalds:49+13
Sub 2000:129   Hewitts:69
Wainwrights:81   Islands:35

5 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland