walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Blath Bhalg on the wettest day of the year (maybe)

Blath Bhalg on the wettest day of the year (maybe)

Postby Jaxter » Fri Nov 26, 2021 3:34 pm

Fionas included on this walk: Blath Bhalg

Date walked: 06/08/2021

Time taken: 2.37 hours

Distance: 7.34 km

Ascent: 301m

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Another trip between Glasgow and Inverness - Malky wanted a walk on the way. Blath Bhalg above Pitlochry would have been a great option on a lot of days, but not this one. It was raining very heavily as we pulled off the A9 at Pitlochry - "oh it'll stop, that's what the forecast said" Malky was sure. It didn't.

At the parking area it only got heavier, although there was another car parked there surprisingly! Dutifully we suited up in our waterproofs and headed off up the track - it was easy enough underfoot, just incredibly wet!

Heading up the track - ironically the photos don't look as bad as it was - probably because I only dared get a camera out in between the worst bits :lol:

The path crossed a flattish section before starting to climb - another photo looking back showing a bit of sun that gives a false impression of the day :lol:

Although never particularly steep, the path did begin to climb a bit more. There were lots of blaeberries which were good to eat all the way.

Eventually we were on the sort-of ridge and could see what I thought was the summit (there was a sting in the tail that Malky hadn't really mentioned... :roll: )

When we finally reached this summit, it turned out that there was a big drop and another ascent to the actual summit. This photo is me before I realised this...

...and after...

Finally at the summit

Of course we then had to go back over the original summit-that-wasn't in order to get down - it was probably only about 40 metres but I was really feeling it. The cloud cleared at the wrong moment!

It had been fairly solidly raining the whole time but did start to clear a bit as we descended

Looking back up - even a little sun up there

The car - looks miles away but at least it was downhill - my feet were sort of on autopilot by this point which never ends particularly well...

Finally back at the car we stripped off waterproofs and changed into dry shoes. Probably not the wisest use of my already limited energy, but there you go... :roll:
Attachments

activity_7257392553.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Jaxter
Wanderer

Munros:217   Corbetts:139
Fionas:90   Donalds:49+13
Sub 2000:129   Hewitts:69
Wainwrights:81   Islands:35

Re: Blath Bhalg on the wettest day of the year (maybe)

Postby kaye.cantlay » Fri Nov 26, 2021 8:50 pm

That was my car......!!
I was finishing just as you were starting out.
kaye.cantlay
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:153   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:31   Hewitts:205
Wainwrights:214   Islands:60

Postby Jaxter » Sat Nov 27, 2021 1:26 pm

kaye.cantlay wrote:That was my car......!!
I was finishing just as you were starting out.

Oh wow! Small world - not the greatest day for being outside though :lol:
Jaxter
Wanderer

Postby Alteknacker » Sun Nov 28, 2021 12:29 am

Gosh, you are hardy folk! I'd have packed up before I'd even have started!
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Munros:176   Corbetts:33
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:264
Wainwrights:118   

Postby Jaxter » Sun Nov 28, 2021 10:57 am

Alteknacker wrote:Gosh, you are hardy folk! I'd have packed up before I'd even have started!

I wish we had - a bit of a waste of my very limited energy! :roll:
Jaxter
Wanderer

Postby Sgurr » Sun Nov 28, 2021 12:48 pm

This is such a boring hill that R turned down my suggestion that WE climb it as he had sneaked out when I was still working and he was retired, so I solo-ed it. A good reminder that I can. Did it in far better weather, albeit showery.
Sgurr
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:569   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:58

Postby Jaxter » Mon Dec 06, 2021 3:42 pm

Sgurr wrote:This is such a boring hill that R turned down my suggestion that WE climb it as he had sneaked out when I was still working and he was retired, so I solo-ed it. A good reminder that I can. Did it in far better weather, albeit showery.

Glad you enjoyed it more than I did!! 8)
Jaxter
Wanderer

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland