walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Meall Blair - next week can go take a run and jump!

Meall Blair - next week can go take a run and jump!

Postby Graeme D » Sun Nov 28, 2021 11:06 pm

Fionas included on this walk: Meall Blair

Date walked: 21/11/2021

Time taken: 2.8 hours

Distance: 8.7 km

Ascent: 670m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

IMG_1920.JPG
Leaving Glenpean

We were up, packed and away sharpish from Glenpean Bothy for the routine yomp back along the path and track to the cars at Strathan. The initial plan for the weekend had been for Carn Mor from Glenpean on the Saturday (tick!) followed by Sgurr Mhurlagain from the car parking area on the Sunday. I think we had both been harbouring thoughts about just getting back down the road and not bothering with any hills but back at the cars, Kev was first to voice the idea.

I must admit that I was tempted, and after Kev left for the tortuous drive back along that road, I sat and pondered for a moment or two. Eventually I decided that life is just too short and that despite the fact that I could just go home and spend some of the remainder of the day doing some work which would make next week marginally less stressful than it would otherwise be, next week could just go and take a massive fe**ing run and jump into the sea. It was 9.30 on a glorious Sunday morning on the shores of Loch Arkaig and I'd be damned if I wasn't going to make the most of it. Only problem was that I didn't have the OS map for next door immediately to the east! My first thought had been to do the Graham of Glas Bheinn, the one I had inexplicably circumnavigated on the day that I had done the two neighbouring Corbetts, the day of the Wounded Knee incident in July 2018. Plan B then - Meall Blair. It had been catching some fine rays yesterday in the view east from Carn Mor and looked like it would fit the bill perfectly for today.

I parked up on the verge by the little Hydro Hut on the Allt Arcabhi and took to the steep stony track that would lead up to the little dam at the outflow of Loch Blair. It was like walking on a loose scree slope what with the number of loose stones scattered across the track. Going down was clearly going to be fun!

IMG_1924.JPG
Gaor Bheinn, that bloody Corbett with the unpronounceable name I did one day with the clag down to my boot laces, and Streap. Streap - now there's a name for a hill! :lol:

After a lung bursting pull up the track in the surprisingly warm November sun, I hit the little dam where the track ended. The south western slopes of Meal Blair were clearly visible ahead to the right and it seemed like a simple case of picking the best line up the seemingly pathless slopes.

IMG_1925.JPG
Dam at the top of the ATV track near the outflow of Loch Blair, south western slopes of Meall Blair beyond

IMG_1927.JPG
Has Luna picked up the scent of a deer on the shores of Loch Blair?

There did seem to be a network of Argocat tracks across the hillside, some of which seemed to head off at improbable angles towards nowhere in particular. Some of them did seem to loosely link up through the wettest part of the lower slopes before petering out on the higher rockier slopes.

IMG_1931.JPG
The Glenfinnan hills, Loch Arkaig and Sgurr Mhurlagain from the ascent of the south western slopes of Meall Blair

IMG_1935.JPG
Spot the dog!

IMG_1936.JPG
West to Sgurr Mhurlagain framed by the Glenfinnan and Dessary/Quoich Munros

This was now a glorious pad along a largely pathless yet dry ridge studded with little lochans and outcrops. It was November but it could quite easily have been a June or July evening. The decision to hill walk and let next week go screw itself had been thorough vindicated!

IMG_1939.JPG
Gleouraich and Spidean Mialach catching some snow to the north

IMG_1941.JPG
Summit ahead

IMG_1943.JPG
Gairich and beyond to the North Loch Quoich and South Glen Shiel Munros

IMG_1944.JPG
East from the summit across the other Grahams on the north side of Loch Arkaig to the distinctive cone of Ben Tee beyond

IMG_1945.JPG
Gairich, Sgurr a'Maoraich, Gleouraich and Spidean Mialach from the summit - memories of three wonderful days. These hills have been unbelievably kind to me!

IMG_1946.JPG
West from the summit - towards God's Country

IMG_1947.JPG
There's something spoiling this photo of the view east from the summit but I can't quite put my finger on it!

IMG_1950.JPG
West towards Knoydart

Eventually I pulled myself away from the summit and started on a descent route that would take me out to the eastern shores of Loch Blair and then back to the dam and the tortuous descent down the scree runnel of a track to the car.

IMG_1953.JPG
Sunny Gairich

IMG_1956.JPG
Loch Blair and more amazing mountains than you could possibly hope to wave a stick at!

IMG_1957.JPG
Gairich, Sgurr an Fhuarain and Sgurr Mor across the scattered lochain to the north of Loch Blair

IMG_1962.JPG
Gairich, Gleouraich and Spidean Mialach

IMG_1964.JPG
Bogfest Argocat track alongside Loch Blair

IMG_1968.JPG
Outflow at southern end of Loch Blair with Gaor Bheinn in the distance

IMG_1971.JPG
Glenfinnan hills on the descent down the scree-like track

IMG_1973.JPG
Across the beautifully manicured lawns of Caonich to the eastern slopes of Mullach Coire nan Geur-oirean and Beinn Bhan beyond

This had been a truly wonderful few hours on an unheralded little hill on a glorious late autumn/early winter day still trying to kid itself that it was late summer. As for the prospect of another tough week at work, well this just put it all firmly in perspective!

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Last edited by Graeme D on Wed Dec 13, 2023 10:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:123
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:59   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Re: Meall Blair - next week can go take a run and jump!

Postby kevsbald » Mon Nov 29, 2021 6:42 pm

That looks stupendous. One to consider very soon.
kevsbald
Munro compleatist

Munros:273   Corbetts:134
Fionas:82   Donalds:53
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:29   

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland