walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Iona meandering

Iona meandering

Postby malky_c » Mon Nov 29, 2021 11:06 pm

Date walked: 09/11/2021

Distance: 4 km

Ascent: 130m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Date: 09/11/2021.
Distance: 4 km.
Ascent: 130m.
Time: 2 hours, 30 minutes.
Weather: Windy with a couple of showers.
Plus 5 miles of cycling.

Early October was a low point for us - Jackie had been struggling to do much walking over the summer and we had been out less and less, culminating in her pretty much giving up on exercise aside from a little bit of cycling. As everyone else has gradually got back to meeting up and going to the pub, she has felt pretty vulnerable as infection levels soared, so we haven't really been doing much other than moping around the house. We decided to have a week away from home, but book accommodation rather than camp (pretty unusual for us) and take it easy rather than try and do much. It would be nice just to have some different walls to look at! We decided Mull would be good as we like islands but it is much less hassle to reach than the Outer Hebrides. A cottage way up the west coast overlooking Ulva looked perfect, and we had arrived a couple of days earlier, taking a leisurely stroll around Calgary Bay and doing very little the following day as the weather battered off the house.

There weren't really many promising days in the forecast - it was the west coast in November after all! But despite some fresh breeze, Tuesday didn't look too bad for a trip over to Iona. It's a long drive down to Fionnphort from Kilninian (only 47 miles but almost 2 hours of driving( but the scenery is top class. After stopping briefly at the Eas Fors (a few miles down the road from our cottage), we trundled onwards to the Ross of Mull.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Upper Eas Fors

Ulva from Eas Fors

We arrived in time for the 11:15 ferry and took our bikes over - there are only a couple of miles of road on Iona but it made life slightly easier. The journey was a bit rough with wet feet all round getting off at Am Baile. Hopefully the later ferries back wouldn't get cancelled!

Iona ferry

Am Baile and the abbey

Bit wet getting off the ferry on Iona

I had been over here in 2018 and really enjoyed the beaches, so we cycled up to the north end of the road and walked out to Traigh Bhan. Pretty windy but absolutely lovely! From here we made our way slowly around to Traigh an t-Suidhe, where we clambered onto a boulder before finding somewhere sheltered for lunch.

Traigh Bhan

Ross of Mull from Traigh Ban

Traigh an t-Suidhe

At least she's finally taken her cycle helmet off...

Scrambling

On the beach

Lunch break view

Now I broached the prospect of going up Dun I. Would this be a good idea or lead to Jackie not being able to do anything else this week? We waited out a rain shower behind a crag then decided to go for it, ignoring my previous memory that there was quite a lot of bog on this side of the hill.

Heading for Dun I

Ulva and Treshnish Point in the distance

Bac Mor (Dutchman's Cap) in the distance

Almost at the summit of Dun I

We made it between showers, and we were glad we had. Quite some feeling of space for a summit only 100m high!

North from Dun I

Looking across Kintra

Across the Sound of Iona to Fionnphort

Iona Abbey

Dropping back to the road we completed the circuit to the bikes then cycled back to Am Baile via a shop and the ruined nunnery.

Closer to the abbey

We thought we'd manage to cycle quickly out to the golf course to look at another bit of coast at Shian. This was nice but the southern tip of the island would have to wait for another time.

Coastline at Shian

Waiting for the ferry home

Back on the ferry, the crossing was less rough than the way over and we were back at the car before 4pm. Just enough time to take a brief diversion to one of the many beaches along the Ross of Mull. We picked Uisken to the south of Bunessan for a short stroll before the light left completely.

Port Uisken
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland