walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

BEWARE firing range closes part of path

BEWARE firing range closes part of path

Postby Scott Walker » Thu Dec 02, 2021 11:44 am

Route description: Three Lochs Way: Helensburgh to Garelochhead

Date walked: 01/12/2021

Time taken: 2.5 hours

Distance: 14.75 km

Ascent: 130m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

BEWARE at the end of the walk, when you cross the A817 Haul Road, there is a new MOD firing rage. They fly red flags when in use. You then have to walk down the A817 to the roundabout. There is NO path and most of the traffic on this road travels fast... Please be careful. The MOD publish the days/times when the range is in use. However the December dates were not posted when we did our walk 1st December 2021 (only November dates) Search 'Garelochhead Range Control firing times'

Called the firing range, they told me as long as you stay on the road you're safe. The red flag warning is to warn anyone NOT to deviate to the right of the road.

NOTE: the numbers on MOD website are wrong 0141 225 8135, 0141 225 8125 the number should be 224 not 225

Also it's now 3rd December 2021 and the MOD website only has firing times for November.
Scott Walker
Mountaineer

Re: BEWARE firing range closes part of path

Postby mikedunn » Fri Dec 03, 2021 11:13 pm

Cycled route recently. No red flags; but lots of firing and guys in camouflage. They looked very surprised to see us :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

I guess they were firing blanks but rather worrying nevertheless.

Worse was the quagmire further north made by
https://www.4x4adventures-scotland.com/the-adventures
these comedians.
mikedunn
Stravaiging

Munros:233   Corbetts:205
Fionas:131   Donalds:89+51
Sub 2000:25   Hewitts:49
Wainwrights:27   Islands:29

Re: BEWARE firing range closes part of path

Postby simongarrod » Tue May 31, 2022 9:58 pm

I tried calling the MoD numbers as above and got no answer. Instead I tried the Scotland regional number 0131 310 3426 instead. They were most helpful and were able to tell me when live firing was planned. The 0141 224 numbers are apparently only manned when firing is actually taking place.
simongarrod
Rambler

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland