walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Cnoc an t-Sabhail (West) circular

Cnoc an t-Sabhail (West) circular

Postby Hills4dogs » Sat Dec 04, 2021 10:10 pm

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Cnoc an t-Sabhail (West)

Date walked: 04/12/2021

Time taken: 2.46 hours

Distance: 11.75 km

Ascent: 304m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Had been planning to do An Cabr near Loch Fannich but it had rained all night at home and so probably snowed all night near Achnasheen (according to XC Weather) so decided to do another more eastern Marilyn. Had almost done Cnoc an t-Sabhail a couple of months ago when we had gone cycling along the forest trails and I hadn't actually realised it was a Marilyn. So a quiet weekend meant I had the opportunity to tick it off. I had read Malky C's report and was going to do it in reverse and try and turn it into a circular walk. By doing the walk in reverse I could get close to the top on good tracks before having to tackle the woods.
Parked off the B9176 in a small carpark suitable for several cars. Then set off along the forest track.

Cnoc an t-Sabhail.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Followed the track which climbed gently around and up the side of the hill for about 5.25 km.

20211204_113009.jpg
Cnoc an t-Sabhail ahead

20211204_113501.jpg
Is it time for a swim yet Dad! The outlet of Loch Sheilah.

20211204_114539.jpg
Looking back at Beinn Tharsuinn on the way up

20211204_121236.jpg
Felled trees are not pretty but at least we could see out to the Cromarty Firth now!

Actually went past the paths apex and started going slightly down again before turning NE up one of the firebreaks between trees. It wasn't the biggest break shown on the map but it was actually the widest one we saw that day. It was now up the slope over the grass in pretty much a straight line to the summit.

20211204_122917.jpg
The firebreak we went up

Soon the break narrowed but there was a clear animal trail to follow over the grass and between the wee conifers. Went past the navigation pole on the map and up to the top although there was no clear marker of the summit. As the path got higher, it got wetter and wetter. With hindsight, pushing through the trees and grass after all the recent rain, it would have been better to have put on my waterproof trousers, as my walking trousers got rather wet!

20211204_123252.jpg
Look Dad I've found some snow!

20211204_123734.jpg
The navigation pole

20211204_125253.jpg
The route to the summit

20211204_124921.jpg
Dillon at the unspectacular summit!

I then carried on past the summit, walking N to the end of the forest.

20211204_130255.jpg
The Struie ridge

20211204_125551.jpg
Looking out to the Dornich Firth inlet

Then turned west and followed the fence down the hill. The fence was surprisingly low for a deer fence which was fortunate because there were quite a few trees down and the low fence allowed us to hop over it, to walk down in the heather!

20211204_130303.jpg
Dillon modelling the deer fence for height challenged deer!

At the base of the hill, there was a logging trail heading off to the SW leading past Loch Sheilah which eventually led back to the original trail. As always, Dill had to have a dip in the Loch to clean up regardless of how cold the water was!

20211204_133859.jpg
Loch Sheilah

Walked back along the path to the car, another good, albeit wet (despite their not being any rain), day in the hills :D :D
Hills4dogs
Mountain Walker

Munros:123   Corbetts:16
Fionas:19   
Sub 2000:52   
Islands:5

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland