walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Poor Planning on Aonach Eagach.

Poor Planning on Aonach Eagach.

by SteveeMac » Tue Dec 07, 2021 2:49 am

Route description: Aonach Eagach

Munros included on this walk: Meall Dearg (Aonach Eagach), Sgòrr nam Fiannaidh (Aonach Eagach)

Date walked: 29/09/2021

Time taken: 10 hours

Distance: 12 km

Ascent: 1300m

Click to mark this as a great report. Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Re: Poor Planning on Aonach Eagach.

Postby LeithySuburbs » Wed Dec 15, 2021 10:31 pm

SteveeMac wrote:an approach shoe/trainer for scrambling, not quite a climbing shoe

La Sportiva TX4 are excellent for scrambling (and walking in general). I've had a pair for 5 years and still in great nick after many routes, including a wet Aonach Eagach. If you've not worn something like them before, you will be shocked by the level of grip they offer.
LeithySuburbs
Ambler

Munros:259   Corbetts:56
Fionas:29   Donalds:33
Sub 2000:41   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:23   Islands:13

Postby prog99 » Wed Dec 15, 2021 11:27 pm

SteveeMac wrote:
Colin1951 wrote:Innov8’s site now back up, I think this is more like my old shoes:

https://www.inov-8.com/roclite-g-315-gtx-mens-graphene-running-shoe

Maybe Santa will be good to you😆

I agree those other ones were a bit jazzy for me too. Someone else also recommended an approach shoe/trainer for scrambling, not quite a climbing shoe but similar in the sole you mentioned.
Santa's poor this Christmas but I'll need to check them out in the New Year 👍
Thanks for your help, have a good one Colin

Scarpa crux or similar are good. Or a pair of slightly worn running shoes so that the lugs don't impede you.
prog99
Munro compleatist

Fionas:130   

Postby SteveeMac » Sun Dec 19, 2021 5:19 pm

LeithySuburbs wrote:
SteveeMac wrote:an approach shoe/trainer for scrambling, not quite a climbing shoe

La Sportiva TX4 are excellent for scrambling (and walking in general). I've had a pair for 5 years and still in great nick after many routes, including a wet Aonach Eagach. If you've not worn something like them before, you will be shocked by the level of grip they offer.

Leithy I think these are the ones for me 😍
I've actually looked at these recently and decided to get a pair in the New Year 😎👍

Thanks, Steve.
SteveeMac
Mountaineer

Munros:50   Corbetts:3
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:7   
Walk wish-list

Postby Sgurr » Sun Jan 02, 2022 7:46 pm

Found it terrifying to see how easy it is for anyone to get boxed in. I am now glad that our attempt with friends was called off. Husband's friend had circulated the rest of us (3 blokes and one "honorary bloke if she can keep up") with a "What shall we do this summer?" email. I had approx 14 hills left to go, and immediately replied with a route that would see me finish and was AMAZED when everyone agreed to it. Alas, vile food poisoning on coming off Mull for 3 of us put the kybosh on the AE, so I did the 2 Munros each end later. Am now glad I did. I always had half a thought of going back and doing it properly, but after a similar experience on the Nantlle Ridge, I don't want to EVER.

Congratulations again on your win.
Sgurr
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:569   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:58

Postby Shaikh » Sun Jan 02, 2022 10:10 pm

well done you two, it's definitely an achievement, I did this with my 3 mates last summer, we chose to do on a clear and calm day, at one point on a very narrow part of the ridge I had to crawl on all fours for about 3 meters due to being exhausted, tired and dazed, neverthless, it's not a small achievement to do Aonach Eagach for most. It's difficult, dangerous but not impossible.
Shaikh
Mountain Walker

Munros:181   Corbetts:7
Donalds:1

Postby bigkeith » Sun Jan 16, 2022 5:50 pm

My palms were clammy reading that! Don't think you'll forget that day in a hurry 🤣🤣. Lessons learned for sure and good refresher lessons for all of us 😀👍.
bigkeith
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:6
Fionas:2   
Hewitts:17

Postby Sspaterson » Sun Jan 16, 2022 6:01 pm

I love your honesty. And I too would recommend La Sportiva TX4. My pal talked them up so much that I finally bought a pair this week. Just back from my first walk (albeit an easy coastal trail) but they are the comfiest boots I've ever owned and hopefully will be just the ticket for the Cuillin later this year.
Sspaterson

Munros:207   Corbetts:13
Fionas:4   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:12   
Islands:38

Postby Anne C » Mon Jan 17, 2022 5:38 pm

Excellent and very honest report - a great read and some superb photos. :clap:
Anne C
Walker

Munros:142   Corbetts:30
Fionas:34   Donalds:29
Sub 2000:48   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:1   Islands:57

Postby tomyboy73 » Thu Jan 20, 2022 3:35 pm

Thanks for that, another excuse to put off going up there! :shock:
Glad I read it though, will temper any over confidence I have when I DO it
tomyboy73
Mountain Walker

Munros:185   Corbetts:40
Fionas:9   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:6   Hewitts:6
Wainwrights:3   Islands:5
Walk wish-list

29 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Previous

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland