walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Shenanigans in the Queen's back yard

Shenanigans in the Queen's back yard

Postby dogplodder » Wed Dec 08, 2021 12:21 pm

Route description: Conachcraig and Gelder Shiel, from Balmoral

Corbetts included on this walk: Conachcraig

Date walked: 16/07/2021

Distance: 22 km

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

We knew there were toilets at the large public car park at Crathie and assumed if we got there around 9.00 they would be open. Wrong, they were closed. This was disappointing and if we'd known we'd have stopped en route. So al fresco it would have to be then and no offence intended to those on whose land we would be walking! We crossed the bridge over the Dee and passed the gates to Balmoral Castle, swinging left past the golf course and right at the sign for the Royal Lochnagar Distillery.

River Dee
IMG_1771.JPG

We turned left at Easter Balmoral and walked uphill past cottages to a security checkpoint, unmanned on the day we were there.

Checkpoint ahead
IMG_1772c.JPG

A sign on the gate asked for dogs to be kept under close control and not be allowed to wander off the track. This was to avoid disturbing ground nesting birds and grouse chicks in particular. So for a lot of the time I kept Keira on the lead.

IMG_1773c.JPG

Closely packed trees
IMG_1775.JPG

Bell heather
IMG_1774.JPG

As we emerged from the forest a wonderful view opened up towards Lochnagar in the south and Ben Avon in the north west, stirring memories of climbing Lochnagar on two occasions during Dundee days and more recently on Ben Avon with Moira.

View south from the forest
IMG_1777.JPG

Zoomed to Lochnagar
IMG_1778c.JPG

NW to tors of Ben Avon
IMG_1781c.JPG

Keira off lead but staying on track
IMG_1782.JPG

It was warm so I was carrying extra water for myself and dog, plus a bottle of frozen water in rucksack to keep contents (and me) cool. I find this works pretty well and you end up with an extra source of liquid if you need it. I wasn't overly concerned about the dog in the heat as there was a cooling breeze with us all day. We had decided not to include the optional loop to Gelder Shiel, but sat down on conveniently placed rocks by the fork, where we had something to eat.

Right fork to Gelder Shiel, ahead in clump of trees
IMG_1783c.JPG

Lochnagar
IMG_1784c.JPG

Zoomed to the cliffs
IMG_1788c.JPG

Fly catcher
IMG_1785c.JPG

Ling heather was not yet in flower but there was a blaze of colour from bell heather round where we were sitting.

Bell heather is rated in the top 5 for nectar production - so a good spot for bees
WhatsApp Image 2021-07-16 at 10.28.00 cAM (1).jpg

Conachcraig ahead
IMG_1789c.JPG

Conachcraig is a long sprawl of a hill with three tops, the summit being the most southerly one. We continued on the vehicle track for the full length of it before turning off to the left to climb to the summit. The point where the path leaves the track is opposite where the path up Lochnagar heads south and was the same spot I had years earlier met some of the Balmoral household with two very obedient black labradors, and hoped Jack and Tess wouldn't let me down in the obedience department! I don't think they did, but it was a potentially humbling moment.

After a fair distance of feet pounding the hard track it was good to start climbing on a properly uneven hill path!

Climbing at last with the path up Lochnagar visible to the south
IMG_1791c.JPG

Lochnagar from Conachcraig
IMG_1794.JPG

Conachcraig summit 865m
217787840_10159253053658788_4641437001261105482_n.jpg

Keira's summit pose
IMG_1802c (2).JPG

Tors of Conachcraig
IMG_1796.JPG

An attractive rocky summit
IMG_1799.JPG

East to Mount Keen
IMG_1804.JPG

North to Morven
IMG_1808c.JPG

Heading for middle summit
IMG_1805.JPG

Top of Caisteal na Caillich and it was windy
217578688_10159253054478788_4076429956945302901_n.jpg

IMG_1812c.JPG

Leaving the rocky top of Caisteal na Caillich we made a slight error in our direction of descent. I think seeing the track below lured us into descending too early towards the west when it would have been better taking a more northerly line. In our defence we were following a path which then fizzled out.

Our track down below
IMG_1813c.JPG

Start of descent
IMG_1814c.JPG

To start with it was fine but it soon became steeper as we threaded our way between rocks in knee high heather on lumpy ground with hidden holes. You get the picture. The kind of terrain that needs concentration to avoid a twisted ankle and more difficult when holding a dog on the lead. So I let Keira off to let me use my poles.

As we neared the track a vehicle with estate workers happened along and seeing a loose dog they stopped and very politely asked if we could keep the dog on the lead at all times. This was beyond what the sign on the gate had asked but I said fair enough, I knew she should be on the lead when off the track, but it was awkward coming down that hill on uneven ground in knee high heather with a dog on lead - at which one of the young chaps said he'd have cra**ed himself coming down that hill!

So all was fine, I put Keira on lead and kept her on for the rest of the walk, noted by the chaps each time they passed. They were making drainage channels on the track so we overtook them several times, before they would drive past us to the next spot needing attention. They commented it wasn't the best day for it as the wind was blowing dust into their faces as they worked. But it had the benefit of keeping blood sucking nasties away, which we were delighted not to meet all day.

It was altogether a delightful walk. I'd wondered about including Gelder Shiel on the return, to have a look at the bothy and give Keira a swim in the river. But the start of the path was rough and the track was level walking, which made it an easy decision!

Estate house
IMG_1815.JPG

We figured that being late afternoon the public toilets at the Crathie car park would still be open, which apart from other considerations would be good for washing dust off sweaty face and hands. But no, those toilets were closed. Admittedly most of the folk from the many parked cars would have gone into the castle and could use the facilities there. But what about hill walkers who also pay to park there?

Balmoral Castle (taken on a previous visit)
DSC_3218-large.JPG

Nothing daunted we stopped in Tomintoul for food (and facilities!) in a dog friendly hotel on the square, an excellent break on the long drive home.
dogplodder

Munros:242   Corbetts:74
Fionas:25   
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:9   Islands:24

Re: Shenanigans in the Queen's back yard

Postby shredder » Thu Dec 16, 2021 12:55 pm

When I saw the title I wondered what you'd been getting up to!

Looks a good day for it and great photos. :D
shredder
Walker

Munros:7   Corbetts:1
Sub 2000:1   
Islands:22

Re: Shenanigans in the Queen's back yard

Postby dogplodder » Wed Dec 29, 2021 12:40 pm

shredder wrote:When I saw the title I wondered what you'd been getting up to!

Looks a good day for it and great photos. :D

I don't tell everything on a public forum - so wonder you may! :lol:
dogplodder

Munros:242   Corbetts:74
Fionas:25   
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:9   Islands:24

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland