walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Benaquhallie. A quick walk after Arwen

Benaquhallie. A quick walk after Arwen

Postby Andy Milne » Wed Dec 08, 2021 1:17 pm

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Benaquhallie

Date walked: 06/12/2021

Time taken: 2 hours

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

After all the damage inflicted in the North East by storm Arwen, I didn't think it was sensible to go too far, or attempt anything that went through any forests due to the large number of trees down. A quick look at the map, and Benaquhallie seemed to tick all the boxes. The forecast was for the sun to break through around lunchtime, which allowed for a 'relaxed' morning.

I decided to park in the area highlighted by mountainminx in her report, although I did manage to drive past it, so turned round, passed it again, before approaching slowly and squeezing into this area. You could get 2 cars here, if well parked, but the passenger side was almost touching the bank and the car is just off the road.

A quick walk up the side of the road to the quarry, and then across the B9119 and into the farm track. Once through the first gate it was quickly up the bank and into the field, staying close to the wall on the left, and up through the gate into the moorland. From here you can see the large cairn to the South of the Trig Point quite clearly. There wasn't as much snow laying as I had thought.

DSC_0023.JPG
Initial view with the large cairn visible

From here, you just follow the ATV track, keeping the fence to your left as you climb Tulloch Hill, and as the ATV track (now with a wall to the left) curves to the right, you just follow it.

DSC_0019.JPG
The track to the top

As you come to the small larch wood, there is now a break in the wall with an ATV track through it, although there was an ATV track that did appear as though it would go through the wood. Not sure if I would be able to get back across the wall if I went left, so I headed into the little wood. I found many tress down blocking the way, so I stayed as close to the wall as possible before rejoining the ATV track on the other side. At which point there is another break in the wall, so I could have easily avoided the wood if I had known.

DSC_0018.JPG
Many uprooted tress in the small wood

The track now just goes straight up

DSC_0017.JPG
The track heading up

This brings you right up to the trig point
DSC_0013.JPG

There is a clear track to the large cairn
DSC_0014.JPG

This provides a nice shelter while having some coffee and snacks while taking in the views. Even though the wind was light, after @25 minutes you feel a chill, so I set off back
DSC_0016.JPG

This time I avoided the wood, otherwise the return route is the just the reverse of the ascent route.

Before long I was back at the road. It was a good little short walk and I was happy that the weather had been kind
Andy Milne
Hill Bagger

Munros:230   Corbetts:44
Fionas:18   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:26   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:3   

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland