walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Some wee tumps near Maryculter.

Some wee tumps near Maryculter.

Postby Gordon Ballantyne » Thu Dec 09, 2021 5:20 pm

Date walked: 09/12/2021

Time taken: 5 hours

Distance: 6 km

Ascent: 140m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Home turf today. Just a scoot doon the bypas to Marycoulter for the first parkup. Nae GC today as I'd left it too late to let him know the plan and he had an appointment anyway. Just Harvey and me for these tiddlers south of the Dee just outside Aberdeen

Oldman Hill

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Squeezed in by the Marykirk church as the scool bus was occupying the pull-in by the cemetry. Walked up through the village and over a gate into a field occupied by horses. Fortumately the were over the back where their forage had been positioned. We caught sight of them as we got to the top, but they weren't interested in us - only their grub. Returned the same way before the residents woke up.

H at the top of Oldman.jpg
Harvey at the top of Oldman Hill

Craigingles

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Parked by the entrance to the old quarry in a layby.

Parkup for Craigingles.jpg
Parkup for Craigingles

Entered the track by a slippery style. Followed a dogwalkers path up through the trees and on to a path leading over the crest of the hill. Wandered over to a plook on the end which looked marginally higher, but turned out not to be. Took a pick anyway, then walked back over the top, before I realised I'd lost Harvey.

Top of Craigingles.jpg
Top of Craigingles

Returning to the plook, I whistled and he came a-running - good dog. Returned to the car more or less the same way.

Cran Hill

Started as an easy bag, but became a real thrutch from the corner of the field to the top through overgrown ancient brash and clearfell.

Parkup for Cran.jpg
Parkup for Cran Hill

Seemed to take ages to make the 200m or so to the highest point. Got a bit lost on the way back as I weaved around to make way and came out in the next field. Just a wee walk back up the road to the car parked at the entrance to the field.

Top of Cran.jpg
Harvey near the top of Cran Hill

Brash on Cran.jpg
Old clearfell on Cran

Clochandighter

Paked up on the road opposite the wooden gate guarding the entrance to the track up to the water supply. Struggled a bit to lift the gate to be able to slide the bolt.
At the first bend, a dogwalker had parked his van to allow about a dozen dogs to exercise in the field by the track. He waited until H and I passed before allowing his hordes out of the field back into his van. An easy stroll up to the trig. Felt the urge to ascend to the top of the water supply tank as it was higher than the trig - so I did. Good view of the southern part of the AWPR.

Top of Clochandighter.jpg
Trig of Clochandighter

AWPR from Clochandighter.jpg
AWPR from Clochandighter

Berry Top

Parked beside a fenced entrance to a fishing pond.

Walked back up the road to the N and through a hole in the fence into a tussocky glebe surrounded by trees. Had to surmount another fence to exit the glebe, then another new one, before having to loup a dyke to get to the trig.
Nice views to the NW with the bigger hills clothed in their winter mantle.

Top of Berry Top.jpg
Trig of Berry Top

Snowcapped hills from Berry Top.jpg
Snow-capped hills from Berry Top

Got back to the car more or less the same way.
A bit soggy underfoot from Tuesday's rain from Storm Barra. We'd heard the rain battering the windows from inside Borsalinos whilst having Don's post-grad dinner !
Nae wind today though.
Gordon Ballantyne
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:90
Fionas:20   Donalds:7
Sub 2000:59   

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland