walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Pen-y-ghent, Plover Hill, Darnbroock Fell and Fountains Fell

Pen-y-ghent, Plover Hill, Darnbroock Fell and Fountains Fell

Postby Rodhumphreys » Mon Dec 13, 2021 8:54 pm

Hewitts included on this walk: Darnbrook Fell, Fountains Fell, Pen-y-ghent, Plover Hill

Date walked: 13/12/2021

Time taken: 4.3

Distance: 23.4 km

Ascent: 824m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Much better weather for this second attempt at a long, four-top Hewitt circuit. Virtually no wind, with relatively high cloudy skies. Starting from Rainscar and up to the top of Pen-y-ghent in just over 30 minutes. Rather a pleasant walk over to Plover Hill, although frequently wet underfoot. Plover is interesting as the top is marked by a small pile of stones in a field off route. Then a rapid descent to the North East to pick up the Pennine Journey bridleway heading north to Foxup. Given that I had started at 9.10am on a Monday morning in December it was perhaps not surprising that I hadn't seen a soul yet, but passing through Halton Gill (nice village, no pub, honesty box for parking), I managed a 'good morning' to the one person I was to see all day! A nice firm walk along the quietest of roads towards Litton, turning off just before the village at New Bridge to cross the river and gain height on the bridleway which skirts Darnbrook Fell,

Then the fun starts, a faint path next to the wall rises sharply to the edge of the plateau, and then a search for the trig point using the little red arrow on my OS mobile app. Not the most beautiful of tops, but the cairns on Fountains Fell were clearly visible. So, following the wall, and another faint tread (hardly a path), a good 25 minute slog to the Pennine Way intersection. Now we're talking grim, the weather had finally closed in on a mining landscape, and once again, a search was initiated for an appropriate pile of stones. Well at least the promised rain hadn't arrived yet. I'll bet this is a beautiful walk in spring!. Back to the Pennine Way and a quick descent down to the road and back to Rainscar. All the time promising myself that I'll think twice before I do another one of these 'two big climbs' adventures.
Attachments

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Rodhumphreys
Mountain Walker

Hewitts:154
Wainwrights:95   

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland